proper eBay etiquette?

I bought a CD from a respected-eBay seller. The auction at the top said "Like New: An item that looks like it was just taken out of shrink wrap. No visible wear, and all facets of the item are intact."

So I order it and when it arrives it's just the CD in a shitty black paper sleeve. I recheck and in the listing at the bottom it says "OUR CD IS THE OFFICIAL ADVANCE CD in the plain black sleeve."

I left negative feedback. The picture for the item is the album's artwork, which this clearly didn't include. I don't think I should have to read through paragraph after paragraph of an auction to find out the real details. How does a shitty sleeve that's worn as shit equate to "Like new, everything is flawless?"

Just venting.

n00b

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

okay so I bought a record for a guy from the UK, it took a while for him to send, but he waited to accept payment so it was cool. when I got it, it was cracked. I contacted him via PM asking to split the difference since it was neither of our faults and waited 3 days and then emailed and PM'd him and waited a week, still nothing. then I filed a paypal claim saying it was cracked. he immediately responded to that saying it's not his fault and he's not losing all this money and escalates it or whatever. then I email and pm him saying I want to talk about it and blahblahblah because paypal won't let me say anything else since it's escalated. finally, he agreed to half refund and I waited a few days, then asked, still nothing. 2 days ago I told him I only have 3 days left to file another claim and I was going to on the last day if I didn't get a refund. he tells me he'll have the refund to me on the 26th. I want to trust him but I just don't know, I kinda just want the extra protection, so should I just file the claim?

n00b

something stupid on ebay that i did: i accidentally wrote the wrong address when i was trying to send a record to georgia. the address i wrote WAS MY FUCKING own in chicago so i paid $4 to mail a record through the USPS back to me.

ugh

don't worry, you're not alone on this one haha.

n00b

Really? I get the part about how it says at the bottom of the auction that it's just the promo. But isn't the picture supposed to be a picture of the item? How is a picture of the cover for a CD that doesn't come with a cover okay?

Isn't that like me having an auction for 64 Mustang with a picture of a 64 Mustang and then sending the winner an ashtray from a 64 Mustang?

I guess that's cool, even if I say at the top of the auction that "THIS AUCTION IS FOR A 64 FORD MUSTANG CAR IN PERFECT CONDITION" then at the bottom it reads "just the ashtray"

n00b

Really? I get the part about how it says at the bottom of the auction that it's just the promo. But isn't the picture supposed to be a picture of the item? How is a picture of the cover for a CD that doesn't come with a cover okay?

Isn't that like me having an auction for 64 Mustang with a picture of a 64 Mustang and then sending the winner an ashtray from a 64 Mustang?

I guess that's cool, even if I say at the top of the auction that "THIS AUCTION IS FOR A 64 FORD MUSTANG CAR IN PERFECT CONDITION" then at the bottom it reads "just the ashtray"

- Yes, it is your obligation to read the entire listing. If you don't have the time to read it, don't bid.

- CDs are usually listed with stock photos. (This is standard eBay practice)

- The "Like New" description is a stock term. (This is standard eBay practice)

-As for your idiotic example. If they were selling the ashtray it would go under "eBay Motors>Parts & Accessories". That would make it pretty easy to realize they aren't selling the car.

If you want to save face you should probably retract the negative feedback.

- Yes, it is your obligation to read the entire listing. If you don't have the time to read it, don't bid.

- CDs are usually listed with stock photos. (This is standard eBay practice)

- The "Like New" description is a stock term. (This is standard eBay practice)

-As for your idiotic example. If they were selling the ashtray it would go under "eBay Motors>Parts & Accessories". That would make it pretty easy to realize they aren't selling the car.

If you want to save face you should probably retract the negative feedback.

Your mom's a stock photo (this is a standard "your mom" practice)

Guest vinyldoa
okay so I bought a record for a guy from the UK, it took a while for him to send, but he waited to accept payment so it was cool. when I got it, it was cracked. I contacted him via PM asking to split the difference since it was neither of our faults and waited 3 days and then emailed and PM'd him and waited a week, still nothing. then I filed a paypal claim saying it was cracked. he immediately responded to that saying it's not his fault and he's not losing all this money and escalates it or whatever. then I email and pm him saying I want to talk about it and blahblahblah because paypal won't let me say anything else since it's escalated. finally, he agreed to half refund and I waited a few days, then asked, still nothing. 2 days ago I told him I only have 3 days left to file another claim and I was going to on the last day if I didn't get a refund. he tells me he'll have the refund to me on the 26th. I want to trust him but I just don't know, I kinda just want the extra protection, so should I just file the claim?

yea, dude. you're beyond the point of messing around. at this point, i'd just want it settled and over with.

shit, I can't file another claim because I already filed and canceled one :\ I guess I'll just have to hope for the best

I've shipped over a hundred records easily and have never had one cracked. I've bought hundreds of records over the years and have never had one that was packed in a proper mailed get to me with more than some corner damage.

You are being way too nice - this is his shit to deal with. You didn't get what you paid for. Sucks to be the seller but get your money back and don't feel guilty about it.