Internship Tips

My girlfriend had one at Harley Davidson and It went really well they were paying her $16 an hour when she left for her current internship at Rockwell Automation. She said she is going to be getting an offer in the next few days for a full time job (looks like I'll be keeping up the medium distance relationship from Chicago to Milwaukee). Right now having an internship seems to be the only way to get a job. So I'm saying don't slack when it comes to an internship and just settle for a summer job. Make sure the internship is paid though. Once you get it introduce yourself to everyone even if they aren't in your department, because the only opening may be somewhere you never planned on working.

Interned as a Residential Counselor for three months unpaid for my degree in Social Work. I made an effort to sit down with my boss once a week to ask what she was seeing that I was doing well and what I needed to work on. I took what she said, made an effort to follow her instructions, and talked about making those changes, and then any subsequent success stories I had. I was hired on full time and have been working there for three years now. I think if you really buy into whatever their philosophy is and work hard, you should be fine.

I went to a crappy arts school in their crappier Music Business program. They were really keen on people interning, but rather than wait for them to help "place" me, I just did it myself. I was also very lucky with my timing, as the place (Punk Planet magazine, RIP) just happened to be looking for an intern.

I went in, did an interview, played with Lucy the Dog, and came on as one of their first-ever interns. The internship technically didn't start until January, and we were off for all of December for winter break, so I just started going in to make a good impression and because I was very excited.

I would say to just be down for whatever. Mailorder? Cool. Logging in who's buying ads? Sure. Opening the mail? OK. Moving boxes around? Why not?

Eventually, they started to pay me a little for doing mailorder, and I became the reviews editor for a while. Then, we closed up shop, but I was there for about five years. If it weren't for my internship, I wouldn't have been able to freelance for a major Chicago newspaper (for a while), I wouldn't have gotten the job at Reckless, and I wouldn't have gained tons of music-business experience from the publishing side of things.

If you wanna' email me, I could go into more detail, I think, haha.