Sealed vs. Unsealed?

I think this thread could run parallel to the "Do you play your records or not" one. My inquiry is simply this:

In the sole aspect of collecting vinyl (and let's completely forget the listening aspect of it), do you guys prefer to keep records sealed or unsealed? And why?

Let the discussion begin!

if a record comes with shrinkwrap, i always slit through it but leave the remaining on. ive heard too many stories of shrinkwrap tightening up on the jacket and record and eventually warping the record. cutting a slit where the jacket opens up helps prevent this.

I tend to do this as well.

i am of the firm belief that it is possible to listen to your records and actually keep them in pristine condition as long as you take care of them. not a difficult concept to grasp. sometimes, when i see newer (ie records that have been released in the last few years) used records that have been traded in and theyre totally trashed my mind is blown.

i am of the firm belief that it is possible to listen to your records and actually keep them in pristine condition as long as you take care of them. not a difficult concept to grasp. sometimes, when i see newer (ie records that have been released in the last few years) used records that have been traded in and theyre totally trashed my mind is blown.

ditto.

I just thought of something else...do people here buy vinyl for the sake of collecting it and trading for ones they want, or do they actually like/listen to those bands?...I've known some people (not here though) that have bought vinyl of bands they don't even listen to in order to use for trades...to me it's kind of a waste of money because there is never 100% guarantee that they will be able to trade or even sell that piece...

while I may not listen to all of my records, have the fun is breaking the seal and gazing at the color, and oooing and aaaahing

even if i know i won't be listening to it for quite a while, taking it out of the shrinkwrap is the first thing i do.

• 7 months later...
if a record comes with shrinkwrap, i always slit through it but leave the remaining on. ive heard too many stories of shrinkwrap tightening up on the jacket and record and eventually warping the record. cutting a slit where the jacket opens up helps prevent this.

Yes, you can see how leaving that Story of Star Wars in the shrinkwrap for 31 years has warped the heck out of it...NOT.

Why does this urban legend exist?

If you want to listen to it, look for another used/open copy and keep the sealed one pristine. It will fetch far more when selling it to collector types. As they say, "New in box" etc...

Many sealed mono Beatles LPs go for a minimum of $750. (Thats sealed for over 40 years and magically aren't warped!!!) No shrinkwrap, but in mint condition, maybe $75.

They started shrink-wrapping LPs in 1956. A quick search on eBay for Beatles shrink or Elvis shrink will show a myriad of these items. NONE of which are in any way warped or damaged from the shrink, even though the shrinkwrap has been left on for decades. The shrink is there to protect the cover (and contents) of the album.

Having been seriously collecting for over 25 years, (with hundred and hundreds of albums still in their shrinkwrap), I just want to bring everyone up to speed.