Give Love To Shaun Of The Dead

riddle350

Totally not into this movie. C-O-R-N-Y.

I find it really weird that you say this, just because from a writing standpoint, it couldn't be any more perfect to me.

It's rare that you ever even see comedies that are this tightly written. Almost everything that happens has significance, and a lot of things in the movie happen twice in a really subtle way. Even the PREMISE of the movie is clever - essentially, it's a movie about this guy fixing all these relationships in his life, but it just so happens the world is in the grip of a zombie insurrection. I think it's brilliant.

Same with Hot Fuzz, where they make a movie using all these buddy-cop cliches, weave this elaborate murder plot, but from the time the main character accuses who he believes is at the center of the plot, the movie slowly unravels into a typically dumb, yet epically awesome cop movie. You find out that even though the murder plot you are presented with seems perfectly plausible (a complicated series of events involving real estate and money), all these people are getting killed for totally bullshit, bogus reasons.

I think both movies are brilliant = they are to comedies what Arrested Development is to sitcoms. I think the writing is of a calibre you just rarely ever see.

I guess what I'm asking is, what did you find corny about it?

Totally not into this movie. C-O-R-N-Y.

I find it really weird that you say this, just because from a writing standpoint, it couldn't be any more perfect to me.

It's rare that you ever even see comedies that are this tightly written. Almost everything that happens has significance, and a lot of things in the movie happen twice in a really subtle way. Even the PREMISE of the movie is clever - essentially, it's a movie about this guy fixing all these relationships in his life, but it just so happens the world is in the grip of a zombie insurrection. I think it's brilliant.

Same with Hot Fuzz, where they make a movie using all these buddy-cop cliches, weave this elaborate murder plot, but from the time the main character accuses who he believes is at the center of the plot, the movie slowly unravels into a typically dumb, yet epically awesome cop movie. You find out that even though the murder plot you are presented with seems perfectly plausible (a complicated series of events involving real estate and money), all these people are getting killed for totally bullshit, bogus reasons.

I think both movies are brilliant = they are to comedies what Arrested Development is to sitcoms. I think the writing is of a calibre you just rarely ever see.

I guess what I'm asking is, what did you find corny about it?

Well-said. +1

I absolutely loved the false reveal in Hot Fuzz where he reveals what he thought was the murder plot and they're like, "Uh, nope."

In Hot Fuzz, in the scene where in the dark of night Nicholas drives off and then you see Danny fading in the red glow of the car's back lights.....Does anyone else get chills when watching that, or am I the only one? To me it's just such a powerful moment (with the expression on Nick Frost's face and everything) in an otherwise downright silly movie.