My formal resignation from the music scene

jhulud

Dear friends, music-lovers, and united brotherhood of scenesters,

I hereby tend my formal resignation from the music scene.

As of 12/2/07, the day after the Buzz Bake Sale (overpriced, oversaturated, multiple band radio-sponsored concert), I will no longer be attending any more concerts, shows, music-related activities, or anything pertaining to a band of any musical genre that I enjoy, performing in a live setting.

I have grown weary of the driving to the venues.

The expenditures of tickets and Ticketbastard service rape charges.

The lameness of the majority of the South FloriDUH! concert crowd. People at these shows seem to be more concerned in being "seen" and "scene" than actually enjoying the music.

I'm tired of the proliferation of 14-year olds at all the shows.

The outrageous cost of beers, mixed drinks, and even soda and water! ($4 for a soda?!?!?).

The general lack of decent concert venues here in South FloriDUH! I have come to have a deep disdain for The Culture Room, Club Revolution, and any other place that is a semblance of a concert/show venue.

The expense of any and all roadtrips (via car or plane) to catch a show.

I will no longer be involved and or interested in any shows henceforth.

Blame it on "getting old", running out of patience, excessive expenditures, and just having reached my limit of tolerance for people.

I am done.

Well...until Nine Inch Nails tours again...

But until then...I am really done with concerts and shows.

You are going to miss out. Sure, the majority of us on here are going to be the old people in the back, but its still about the music to us, right? I'm going to guess that all of us go to shows for the music and not to be seen. No matter what other people are there for, their is going to be a band that you really like, that is performing their songs live. There isn't anything like that feeling you get when you see one of your favorite bands play. Oh well. I guess at some point this may happen to us all, but for now, you can still catch me a show every now and then.

If I get there in time. I am going to be driving after I get out of class to Cleveland which is a 3 hour drive. If I do get there in time I will definitely pick one up for you. I haven't seen what they look like, but would like to get one for myself as well. My girlfriend is coming so if they don't allow people to buy more than one, she could get one for you.

I don't listen to the Buzz at all. Or radio for that matter. I'm going b/c a friend got pit tickets and there are some bands I'd like to see...but other than that...

I don't know know of any college radio but there is WKPX which is Piper High School's radio station...and they play some awesome shit all the time...anything from hardcore to punk to rockabilly to local bands...

YEAH! I quit too, but for me it's the lack of money! Seriously though, I made a career out of punk rock and skateboarding. Not much I can complain about. I'm not rich, but I make more money than I ever thought I would and I owe it all to the music I love. Hell, I even met my wife through punk music and we've been together 11 years and have a three-year-old daughter.

If you're that bummed out on shows, you're going to the wrong shows. I go to 120+ a year. It's my lifeblood. (Of course, I don't have to pay for 99% of them, either, so that makes my life a bit easier.)

how many of those shows would you go too if they werent for free?

It's a tough call, because who knows what I would be doing with my life. But I'd like to think the correct answer would be "As many as possible." Remember, my wallet doesn't get dented from a bar tab at these shows, either, so pretty much all my disposable income is spent on music (either in recorded or live formats).