First "Real" Show

After reading through the most important records to us thread, I was thinking about my first show experience and thought it would be a good thread topic. Post the story of your first experience at a real show.

As a freshman in high school (think it was 2000 or 2001), I had been going to local shows once in a while. One day one of my friends who was a grade a head of me, asked me if I wanted to go see Hatebreed with him at the Showplace Theatre in Buffalo. I didn't like Hatebreed, and I didn't know any other band on the bill (Every Time I Die, Death Threat, Bleeding Through, Six Feet Under), but it seemed like something fun to do, so I agreed to go. Every Time I Die came on first, and completely blew me away. They were heavy has hell and wacky as the dickens. Jumping off of their amps, running around and just being crazy in general. I had never heard music like this. They were the highlight of the night. After that Death Threat came on, and I hated them. They weren't as exciting to watch, and the crowd wasn't as into them. Bleeding Through came on next, they put on a good show, but again I didn't really like the music. Six Feet Under came on, and I just thought they were really funny. The fans were equally as funny. I distinctly remember an older person with a spiked collar yelling, "PLAY SNAKES! PLAY SNAKES!" They never played Snakes. I later looked for that song because of this and thought to myself, "Why would someone want to hear Six Feet Under play this song?" After that, Hatebreed came on. Now, up to this point, I had been hanging on to the barrier in the front, slightly to the right side. As soon as Hatebreed started, I clung to that barrier for my life. I was legitimately scared for my life, but at the same time, I was having an amazing time despite the fact that I didn't like the band. I also remember near the end of the set, a rather heavy man, almost in slow motion, appear to the right side of the stage and dive off. I tried my damnedest to get out of the way, because I knew that I could not catch this man, but despite my efforts, I got nailed in the face by this gigantic man. After the show I couldn't help but think that it was one of the best nights of my life. I had a completely insane night and it was the first of hundreds of shows I have now attended.

Social Distortion at the House of Blues in Anaheim. I was 15 so my dad took my brother, myself and a couple friends (my dad actually likes Social D, so he was there just to enjoy the show, not keep an eye on us, which was cool).

I don't remember a whole lot from the show, other than I saw someone get busted for selling fake wrist bands for drinking. I also remember being slightly scared to set down any drink I had for fear of someone slipping drugs into them (I know, I was really naive, but 10 years of Catholic school will do that to you).

Sum 41 opened for them, and people just stood around with these looks on their faces like, 'What the fuck is this shit?' That was literally about 2 or 3 months before they blew up all over MTV. I always thought that was a funny opener for that show.

Slayer for your first show sounds pretty intense.

Also, I got to be a security guard when Sum 41 played at Alfred State. It was weird, a few friends and I showed up really early because we had ordered the tickets will call, and didn't know where to pick them up. When we got their a guy came out of where they were going to play and asked us if we wanted to be security. There is no way I could stop anyone from doing pretty much anything, but we agreed so we could go in an hang out with the bands and get in free (even though we already paid). It was a fun night. The Starting Line was great and I ended up watching all the bands while standing in between the barrier and the stage.

The first show that I went to was while I lived in Louisville, KY. It was local bands. Kinghorse was the "headliner" at this club called the Maze. It was lazer-tag place during regular hours but on some nights, they hosted shows.

It was my first exposure to the hardcore and punk scene and I was just blown away. I had never really heard the band's music but I went because a friend from high school told me that I would like it and have a good time. Sure enough...it was awesome. My first time in a circle pit was at this show. And it was also where I bought my first 7" with my own money...it was a local band.

This was back in '89 or '90...can't exactly recall.

First show ever was Broken Hope, Unleashed, and Demented Ted in Chicago, in 93 or 94. It was pretty intense, and I was scared of everybody at the show since I was only 13 or 14 among a much older crowd, but it was cool. After that, a lot of my early shows were a blur, but mostly VFW shows in the Chicago area with 88 Fingers Louie, Slapstick, Bollweevils, etc.

My first show was when I was 16, someone I worked with owed me 20 bucks so instead of giving me the cash he offered to bring me to this show, I said "ok".

Hey Mercedes/No Motiv/Dashboard Confessional/Saves the Day @ HOB Las Vegas, 08-18-01

Didn't know any of the bands at the time and this show pretty much started my obsession with Hey Mercedes and anything Bob Nanna does.

14 years old seeing Good Riddance and Ensign in the mezzanine of the local college in Kelowna. GR was promoting "Operation Phoenix", so it was a pretty badass set. I had been listening to punk for about 3 years by then and I had an absolute blast! I still have the ticket stub for that show. I try to keep most stubs for my super original concert collage poster :P

i think i was about 11 so either 95/96 i went to see Soul Asylum in the gym at ucr. went with my dad, my sister, and a couple of her friends. i just remember being the youngest one there and everyone was worried about me being up at the barrier. all of this during the height of soul asylums popularity for runaway train.

the interesting note... this little unknown band from england called RADIOHEAD opened up for them and the lead singer gave me a guitar pick. i wonder if they ever amounted to anything.

Guest falloutcollapse

My first concert in a real venue with a barricade and security and pricey merch and everything was the Nintendo Fusion Tour with Story of the Year, Lostprophets, My Chemical Romance, and some other people. I had a lot of fun, in the way back with my other 7th grade friends. It was good times!