How much would you pay for a two-song 7-inch?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something like this is totally going to depend on the band. If it's a new like Alkaline Trio or NOFX record you could charge $12 and sell through 250 copies without blinking.

Realistically if it's a band that is semi popular, you can probably get away with up to $8. There are a few factors to keep in mind though that can help. Make sure it's a nice package not some shit photocopied or black and white paper sleeve with no insert. Make sure people know it's limited. Hand number all the copies.

Even with that said, anyone who is saying anything over $5 is too much is just wrong. My mind has been blown the last couple of years with the number of 7"s I see in stores from $6.00-$9.99 but that shit sells. Even stuff like some of the Tyvek records which look so fucking cheaply done but are always like $8-$10....shit is gone so quick. Look at Youth Attack records. He does stupid small pressings at ridiculously high prices and sells through the entire press in an hour or two once it's announced.

The best thing you can do is figure out your cost, mark it up so you are making like 0.25-0.50 a record or something, and then sell it. As long as people know you aren't spending $3 to make the record then charging $9 to just gouge everyone, you won't have problems.

Could you fit both songs on one side? Wouldn't that save a little money on plating? Then you don't really need to worry about A/B labels also.

Interesting idea... Thanks!

Ya but unless you're willing to do like an etching or something cool with the other side. You'd definitely need a label as well, without one you'd just look lazy.

Even with that said, anyone who is saying anything over $5 is too much is just wrong.

How can someone's opinion on how much they would pay for something be wrong?

Also, Youth Attack is in a much different situation. Everything they put out is super (over)hyped, and it's been pretty well established at this point that pretty much anything the label puts out will instantly be worth more than the original price, so people don't hesitate to buy something that if they don't like they can just flip.

Even with that said, anyone who is saying anything over $5 is too much is just wrong.

How can someone's opinion on how much they would pay for something be wrong?

Also, Youth Attack is in a much different situation. Everything they put out is super (over)hyped, and it's been pretty well established at this point that pretty much anything the label puts out will instantly be worth more than the original price, so people don't hesitate to buy something that if they don't like they can just flip.

"cheers to the ebayification of hardcore"

Interesting idea... Thanks!

Ya but unless you're willing to do like an etching or something cool with the other side. You'd definitely need a label as well, without one you'd just look lazy.

Meh, I can appreciate a label trying to save some money. I have a comp 7" with ridiculously elaborate packaging, letter pressed inserts and screened vellum and whatnot, and they chose to leave labels off. I definitely appreciate that the money was put towards cooler stuff than labels, and don't feel like they were lazy at all.

not really, because if you do not have a second plate made, the unit cost of the record goes down because if you have an etched plate made that's the same as getting a music side, thus if you have a one sided 7" it could be sold cheaper...theoretically.

Cheaper yes, but its such a lame move. Why leave a side blank when there are other methods of making the release cheaper? If you can fit two songs on the a-side try and get two on the b-side, give people there moneys worth.

I'm a design geek, I love etchings, screenprints, letterpressed-ness, fancy packaging, etc...but if you've got two great songs that need to be released, there is no sense in driving the price up just to fill extra space. If you've got to cut corners to get the record sold, do it. So long as the music is worth it.