RSD AND EBAY

so,

i went to an indie record store here in massachusettes. the guy is a super dickhead, having dealt with him before, but for RSD figured what the heck. Everytime i go in his comp is on en ebay screen. so he had most of his RSD releases behind the counter in stacks and i asked him for something i SAW and he was like "i may have one back here, nope sorry" he ebayed all that shit!!! i know it ! im gunna search for his ebay name. If people wanna flip shit, thats fine, fuckin, fine but for store to do it, its not right. is there some sort of RSD police??

haha, RSD police. i have no idea who distributes most of this stuff but if you can figure that out, then maybe give them the heads up. honestly though, i have a feeling theyre just not going to give a shit about it. they get paid either way and considering that this stuff is (probably) non-returnable to the distributor(s), they'll probably turn and look the other way because a lot of this RSD stuff is going to be left over for a long time -- just like last year.

best thing you can do is protest with your wallet and simply choose not to shop there anymore.

Yeah, that's capitalism for you. The three stores I have been to the past two years were great, however a larger store I went to this year was a little sketchy. I heard the owner say that the Rolling Stones 7" was going for hundreds on Ebay and he was going to throw them on there. I didn't want it, so I didn't care. But he did have a ton of releases out. I do agree though, I'm sure a lot of those seller (especially the ones that get it up early) are store owners.

It's just like how a lot of stores price the RSD releases at stupid prices even if they aren't that exclusive. The Modest Mouse record I have heard was going between 20 and 45 dollars at various stores. Maybe email the website or something if you're really pissed? I mean, it's a fact of capitalism. It's just like the people that go in early and grab 10 of everything.

ya not pissed just baffled, when i read the press release saying, they were making there own employee s wait until the doors opened to be fair haha. so much for that. Ya i got everything i wanted, so no big deal for me. I stopped shopping at that place a long time ago. Nothing is priced and he pulls out a "price guide" when you bring a record to the counter haha. fuckin' dork.

Even the store I went to was a little sketchy. The owner asked me what I was in for...I told him the Hold Steady and Fela Kuti. He says he thinks they got a HS in, and that they should be holding it for me. I hang around and wait for the crowd to die down before asking the clerk at the counter (the guy who actually promised to hold it) and then he tells me they never got one in. Either way no big deal, it just seemed a bit strange at the time.

On a side note: I would love to know exactly how many Godsmack singles sold yesterday... ;D

Yeah, that's capitalism for you. The three stores I have been to the past two years were great, however a larger store I went to this year was a little sketchy. I heard the owner say that the Rolling Stones 7" was going for hundreds on Ebay and he was going to throw them on there. I didn't want it, so I didn't care. But he did have a ton of releases out. I do agree though, I'm sure a lot of those seller (especially the ones that get it up early) are store owners.

It's just like how a lot of stores price the RSD releases at stupid prices even if they aren't that exclusive. The Modest Mouse record I have heard was going between 20 and 45 dollars at various stores. Maybe email the website or something if you're really pissed? I mean, it's a fact of capitalism. It's just like the people that go in early and grab 10 of everything.

There's no way that Rolling Stones 7" is going for that much, but if that's even close to true, I'm going back with a shopping basket because the store by me has like 30 of them.

There's no way that Rolling Stones 7" is going for that much, but if that's even close to true, I'm going back with a shopping basket because the store by me has like 30 of them.

Haha, well I have no idea. This was yesterday morning. That's was always entertaining too is to look at the completed listings of the first RSD releases that get put up and the ones that went up yesterday evening and after. I mean, either way they are over-priced. But last year some were going for 150 dollars in the morning and two days later not selling for 25 BIN.

Yeah, I mean my friend in Philly had some guy waiting in line with him, release list in his hand. He ended up walking out with over 500 dollars worth of RSD releases...it's just how it is. Store owners aren't all immune to making a lot more money that way. Most owners are great, and the one's I rely on fall into that category. But there are always going to be those that aren't.

Like I said, it's worse than overpricing. But it's ridiculous that some stores have 7" RSD singles for 15 dollars or 12" RSD releases for 30-40.

The overpricing is ridiculous.

Yeah, I mean it doesn't help that Ebay drives the prices up and makes stores think it's okay to raise them a little. But seriously, I got the Modest Mouse for 24.99 then 10% off of that. The other store wanted 32.99. I didn't buy anything there...I'm sure they sold a lot of their RSD stuff. But I didn't buy any RSD item or even look at their other stuff...makes it easy to narrow down what shops I want to go to and give money to.

i thought the purpose of RSD was to get people into the stores, regardless of what they were buying

It is. That's why they're idiots. But honestly, if you can sell a 7" for 100 dollars early in the morning on Ebay versus 5-10 in the store...it is probably tempting. It's just like some people aren't going because the prices are too high at some stores. It's their loss in a way.

i thought the purpose of RSD was to get people into the stores, regardless of what they were buying

Most people at the store I went to came in, bought the exclusives and left. I'm sure its making some money for the stores but i'm not sure it's having the desired effect

Yeah, I generally see people with at least something else. But the stores I like do 10 or 20% off all non-sale stuff. The problem remains that you have standard, double albums being priced at 24.99. Maybe a gatefold, but labels/stores I think need to consider either lowering the price or doing special packaging. I generally buy new albums, and have to pass on some because they are overpriced for no real reason (no 180g, special booklet, art, packaging).