how often do you get a record that skips?

and what do you do about it? i'm fairly new to buying vinyl and it seems to be a common occurence for me. I've yet to see anyone complain about this on this board. Sometimes it's a quick little skip, but sometimes numerous songs are unlistenable. One record is fine except one song that has a little spot of i dont know what on it. like its dirty or something, and makes that song unlistenable. are they fixable?

I only have two records that skip and they have obvious problems. One has a very visible imperfection in the vinyl and the other has a warp. I am of the belief that if you can't see or feel the imperfection in the vinyl, the problem is probably not with the record. The last time I replaced the cartridge on my turntable, I stupidly set the anti-skate to the wrong number. Certain records started skipping that hadn't before. Confused the hell out of me for a couple of days until I retraced my steps and realized I screwed up.

If you really want advice as to what your problem is, you'll probably need to provide more info about your table/cartridge.

Guest eriathomas
Your turntable is probably not properly set up.

but i have many more records that don't skip at all. and the ones that skip always skip in the same spot. how would it not skip on all records and always in the same spot? how could it not be properly setup?

Different records are pressed differently, so it's 100% possible. I have a few records then sounded awful on my old cheapo table that sound a lot better on the new one.

Your turntable is probably not properly set up.

but i have many more records that don't skip at all. and the ones that skip always skip in the same spot. how would it not skip on all records and always in the same spot? how could it not be properly setup?

Like Chiefwahoo said, more info about your turntable and cartridge, but the first thing to do is make sure the table is level. Get a spirit level and make sure that it's not off.

All records are pressed differently, from the volume it's mastered at, to the bass frequencies, the thickness of vinyl, etc. That's why some might skip and others not.

I only have one record that has a skip in it. But Its from the 70's and I got it used.

But yea, the turntable and cart's can effect this. Some carts are just better trackers than others. If your buying brand new records that skip, or are warped, return them bitches and get one that doesn't. Quality control is pretty bad sometimes and if us buyers stop dealing with it and returning defective copies maybe they will catch the drift and start working on quality control instead of losing money with all the returns.

That is of course if its not the TT or cart that is causing the skips.

• 2 weeks later...