looking to upgrade setup

On the second to last page of the turntable thread, someone posted what seems to be a nice semi-automatic table. The Denon DP300F. I think that's what I'm gonna get, just cause I can't imagine not having a semi-automatic table. I'd still like one with a remote though.

That's the TT I have and it's fully automatic (Play/Stop buttons). A great piece that should last for years. Many reviewers from other sites said you should upgrade the cartridge but the one provided with it is very good in my opinion. I often fall asleep while listening to music so the fact that the tonearm gets back in place at the end of the record is very usefull. It also has an integrated pre-amplifier that can be turned on or off so you can hook it up to pretty much any audio input (computer, living room stereo, etc...) and with the touch of a button you can go from 33rpm to 45rpm and set the tone arm to play 12" to 7" records. It's also shinny and classy.

My next step is to upgrade my speakers and maybe so should you in a couple of months or years.

Is it possible to hook computer speakers up to a good table? Especially a vintage one?

I'm kind of an idiot.

You can hook up any speakers to any device, providing that you have the right adaptors (for example, you would probably need 2xfemale RCA --> female 1/8" to make that happen). But I've never really heard computer speakers sound very impressive. I don't really see why you would invest in a good turntable but not invest in speakers. If you are using computer speakers with a good turntable, cartridge, and preamp, you will probably not be able to experience the full potential of your setup.

A turntable is a turntable, yeah some are nicer but as long as it has the features you like I wouldn't focus so much on getting a new one. The real room for improvement is in the speakers, because, without sounding stupid, its how you actually hear the music. Find yourself a simple receiver, and two or more quality speakers. You'll need to get the right RCA cables as well, use either the thread on this topic or just ask an electronics person and they'll show you what you need. Personally I'm running four speakers (two smaller BOSE up top and two big old Sony speakers on the floor) right now to achieve a surround soundish effect and to piss off my stupid neighbors.

the Denon DP300F sounds pretty awesome. someone told me to check out the rega p3-24 too, anyone know how it is?

also what speakers should I start with? right now I'm thinking of upgrading the speakers on my current setup, then down the line get a new 'table, or should I do it vice-versa?

Ha, the p3-24 is like 900 bucks while the Denon is 330. If 300's is your price point and you want new your best bets are the Pro-Ject Debut III or Rega P1. Sure that Denon is nice, but the Rega's and Pro-Jects have a rock solid reputation and are very popular. These tables don't have built in pre-amps so you either need a stand alone one or a amp that has one built in. There are some great bargains to be had if your interested in going used/vintage market for turntables. Sometimes good ones turn up in thrift stores, but when buying those used if they even come with a cart/stylus its probably shot, plus you don't know what its been through. But at the same time some new ones don't come with them either. So that could be another thing to budget for as those go from anywhere from 20 bucks all the way up to 10 grand.

If you are looking at used/vintage turntables some ones to look for are wood based Pioneers, Sansui's, Denon's, Thorens Realistic, etc. Or my personal favorite the Technics SL-1200, as long as its not from a former DJ. If you see one sold in a pair or with a bunch of rap records, run away! I got mine for 399 new before they hiked the prices up to 650. Sure everyone assumes there for DJ use only, but in reality the SL-1200 line was started as a hi-fi home audio use but DJ's just took to it for there durability, and not to mention amazing sound. :D

But honestly for your setup as it stands now I might look into amp/speakers and a pre-amp if needed first. Your turntable works, I had its bigger brother the Numark TTusb so I know how bad it is. But running it through computer speakers has to be your bottleneck currently. But suggesting speakers is a very hard thing to do as there are hundreds or brands and they all sound different. It might be a good idea to find a amp that has a built in pre-amp anyways just to be safe, plus incase you upgrade again later the same amp can still work, and built in pre-amps pretty much suck anyways, so if you have the ability its pretty much always better to just bypass the built in ones.

Ok, enough rambling. It's rare form to see me go on and on like this, btw. :D:D

I have a lot of 45rpm as well as 33rpm records and a salesman once showed me a Pro-Ject (or was it a Rega?) turntable. It looked like I was going to get it at first but I turned away when he showed I had to lift the plater and change the belt on another gear to go from 33 to 45 rpm. I figured this would annoy me way too much.

Thrift store turntables can be amazing. If you check regularly you'll find the turntable/console system that grandpa bought back in the day for a fair amount of money, and kept in pretty good condition. Look for the older dual systems.

I got this system pictured here for 25 bucks during a half price sale: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lnoyl/sets/72157623883746017/show/

It needed some minor work, but sounds huge.