The all purpose literature thread

Guest kingbuzzo

Guest kingbuzzo

So, the Bukowski thread got me thinking about starting a book thread. I guess it could be fun to hear what everyone else is reading and get recommendations and what not.

Over Christmas break I've got quite a few books I want to read. My roommate keeps stressing how important it is that I read Henry Miller so I have Tropic of Capricorn sitting on my shelf. I've also got a few Burroughs novels.

In the past week I've finished a few Philip K. Dick books including We Can Build You, which I highly recommend if you like any of his other books. A lot of people have a problem with the fact that halfway through Dick seems to drop the plot but I didn't think it was a big deal because he continued to deal with the main character and just moved the subplot into the main plot.

I don't really read that much. I just finished "Black Coffee Blues" by Henry Rollins, and I'm currently reading "Fahrenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury. Some of my favorite books include: "Get in the Van" by Henry Rollins, "Lobotomy" by Dee Dee Ramone, "If Chins Could Kill" by Bruce Campbell, and "Cat's Cradle" By Kurt Vonnegut.

If you enjoy your spritual side read The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho or for a little humor mixed in read Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore (another good book by him is The Stupidest Angel). The book No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy is also pretty good. For the epic fantasy/historical fiction reader try Winterbirth by Brian Ruckly or Genghis: Birth of An Empire by Conn Iggulden or The Saxon Stories by Bernard Cornwell. For you more serious side read the two books by Khaled Hasseini (The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns)

I actually collect/read more books then I actually do records.

Just a random look at my bookshelf:

Walt Disney - Neal Gabler - It was a pretty eye-opening biography on Disney. Very detailed and involved.

Japanamerica: How Japanese Pop Culture Has Invaded the U.S. - Roland Kelts

The Paths We Choose - Sully Erna - Yup...the lead singer for Godsmack wrote a book! It was actually pretty good...it's a memoir of him growing up in Lawrence, MA and his struggles trying to make it.

I Am Legend - Richard Matheson - Re-read this one b/c it had been a long time and with movie coming out...

Every book by Chuck Palahniuk - I'm a huge fan of his work

Unwelcomed Songs - Henry Rollins - Lyrics of every song he has done post-Black Flag. Plenty of pictures as well.

Guest kingbuzzo
Just a random look at my bookshelf:

I Am Legend - Richard Matheson - Re-read this one b/c it had been a long time and with movie coming out...

I did the same thing recently. I'd forgotten how good the book was. I'm hoping the movie is at least decent.

I was just going through a box and found my copies of both Hollywood Babylon books. They're pretty interesting if you're into old rumors and gossip about older celebrities.

I'm thinking about picking that up. Would you say it's worth buying or should I just find it at the library?

It's definitely a good, fun, quick read, with the main focus being on his time spent in Guns (Velvet Revolver only comes in at the very end of the book). I learned tons of stuff I never, ever knew, even basic stuff like "November Rain" was actually written pre-Appetite For Destruction (as was "Don't Cry" and "You Could Be Mine") but all three were held off the record. Can you imagine that album with those three songs tacked onto it? Shit would be INSANE.

I'm currently reading / juggling a few books off and on:

American Hardcore

Global Express

Anti-Matter Anthology

and as for comic books...trying to tackle the following books through trades...

Lucifer(just wrapped up book 3 this morning...very good so far)

Hellboy & B.P.R.D. reading BPRD from the start and picking up the other Hellboy trades i never bought because the covers look so similar that i didn't want to buy one more than once...which i did once...

(bought the first trade for DMZ this morning too)

other comic book series i can highly recommend:

Fables, slow moving but once youu get caught up it's fuccking intense!

the Walking Dead...essentially the zombie survival guide put into motion or 28 days/weeks/months/years later.

Y: the Last Man...just finishing the series run...i think there's one more issue left.

Sandman...Neil Gaimen is Shakespeare reincarnated.

that's all for now...pm me for more suggestions.

as far as books go i work @ a bookstore so this thread was MADE for me...lol

Novels:

The Cheese monkeys - Chip kidd, anyone who has been or is going to college should read this its about a kid who goes away to school and falls into a graphic design program its probably the funniest book ive ever read

Good Omens - Neil gaiman&terry pratchett, this is the funniest book about the apolocalypse ive ever read...basically theres an angel and a demon put in charge of the antichrist for its birth and within the first few pages they lose him....adnt he 4 horsemen are bikers...

Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norell - Susanna Clarke, this its an intense book, it follows magicians (real life users of magic, wizards if you will) and how the only 2 that can really do magic bring it back, its long and you really need to pay attention, the footnotes seem to mean nothing but i found myself having to go back and read them near the books end...its very daunting and the middle is kida boring, but it was easily one of the best and most rewarding books ive ever read.

in the graphic novel area:

Bone - jeff smith, i dont care who you are....read this...its AMAZING

Marvel Civil war, this is what made me want to read coics again...you should go back and read everything from deissambled to civil war (and world war hulk afterwards) they are well written and pretty good.

Wanted, this is being made into a movie but the graphic novel is amazing, read it before the movie (the main character is styled afer eminem...which is kinda funny too.

as far as non fiction goes i havent read much but:

that pet sounds book is amazing...read it.

kevin smith published his blogs...they are pretty funny if youre into his stuff

400 facts about chuck norris - dont buy this, go to a borders and just read it there....itll take you about 20 min. and its hilarious (i say borders since i a: work @ one and b: know the company is pushing it so it'll be easy to find)

and just remember: Chuck Norris's tears can cure cancer.....its too bad he never crys.

in the process of reading:

The Catcher In The Rye - yeah, i never had to read this in school and nobody around me had a copy. one of my floormates has it though, and it's one of his favorites, so i've started a little bit of it. i'm gonna take it home with me and hopefully finish it over a weekend on break.

Redemption Song: The Ballad of Joe Strummer - pretty interesting stuff.. i'm only about 40-50 pages in, and it's still talking about his family background, but the stories about joe have been pretty amazing, so far.

read:

A Tale Of Two Utopias (Paul Berman) - I read this for my US Political cultures class, and it's pretty damn interesting. a good read if you wanna learn about the social movements of the 60s.

Guest kingbuzzo
currently reading:

The Dirt - Mötley Crüe (auto)biography....great stuff, recommended for the xstraightedgex kids ;)

This book blew me away...It's amazing that those guys are still alive after all the shit they did...

There was a time I thought this was the best thing ever committed to page. I've moved on but I still think it's an amazing thing to pick up.

king dork is pretty sweet, it's an easy read and it's by dr. frank (mr. t experience). about a kid growing up who finds a copy of his dad's catcher in the rye and it is sort of like catcher in the rye slash mystery slash mr. t experience lyrics. i also hear geek love is a good book , i havent read it yet but it is supposed to be in the vein of palahniuk.