Anybody here ever mailed a guitar?

I have a bunch of these gottdamn things littering up my shit. I gotta get rid of them. I put them all on craigslist, but seriously, that place is full of shitheads. All I ever got was people saying, "I love reading your ads, I nominated you for best of craigslist" or scammers, but no serious offers...just trades for shit I clearly don't want...no thank you, I don't need a Kirk Hammett signature ESP, or people that think I'm seriously going to sell a $200 instrument for $50.

So ebay it is, but aside from 2 proper shipping boxes I have in storage, and one guitar I can likely disassemble and send in a smaller box carefully packed...has anybody mailed one? Does Guitar Center sell shipping boxes? Is there anything I should keep in mind or watch out for? Did I make an entire post with no AD or Futurama references?

i shipped 3 separate guitars via UPS at the same time about 5 yrs ago. 2 of them were damaged. suffice to say, they need to be packed VERY well. id recommend writing "up" on the box and draw an arrow up on all sides so that they know its supposed to sit up right. otherwise, they may lay it flat and drop a 500 lb box on top of it for all you know.

Yeah, I bought my most recent bass off of ebay, and that went really well. The guy packed it the best I've ever seen, plus it was in a Gator case to begin with. So it was in the case, then in a small box that basically fit the case perfectly. Then the box was bubble wrapped, and placed into a larger box then filled with packing peanuts. It came either Fedex or UPS I can't really remember, but I remember thinking this guy did a really good job packing it. I think I paid $40 or $50 for shipping to the seller.

I've shipped out dozens of guitars, some costing thousands of dollars. Guitar Center probably won't have a box for you, but if you go to a mom and pop type guitar shop, they'll probably sell you one for $5. If you're shipping something in a gig bag, you need to be really careful, less so with a hard shell case. Your best bet is to always detune the guitar a little, too. This keeps the neck from being too tight and lessens the chance of it breaking in transit.

I've shipped out dozens of guitars, some costing thousands of dollars. Guitar Center probably won't have a box for you, but if you go to a mom and pop type guitar shop, they'll probably sell you one for $5. If you're shipping something in a gig bag, you need to be really careful, less so with a hard shell case. Your best bet is to always detune the guitar a little, too. This keeps the neck from being too tight and lessens the chance of it breaking in transit.

How much do you usually charge for shipping?

How much do you usually charge for shipping?

Depends on where it's going and how much insurance you require. $30 is probably about average sent FedEx Ground or UPS.

Guest markovianprocess
If you're shipping something in a gig bag, you need to be really careful, less so with a hard shell case. Your best bet is to always detune the guitar a little, too. This keeps the neck from being too tight and lessens the chance of it breaking in transit.

Great advice, I've had plenty of guitars shipped to me, 2 that weren't even boxed, and they've all arrived safely. Just remember and cover the package in fragile stickers.