Attn: Android Users

i ordered an htc incredible, and hopefully it will be here before the next ice age. first smart phone i've ever owned, too.

ive been stalking android forums, but there's way way way too much info and recommendations to take in.

so what apps do you guys recommend? preferrably free, but i'm willing to pay if it's something awesome!

actually any tips or help would be greatly appreciated!

I have a samsung moment and its my first smart phone too!!! Hell my first qwerty :) I have a couple fun apps:

Dl these from the market...

Task killer- this is super important bc the batt drain on droid phones is sick...it shows all the apps you have open and gives you the option to close them all at once. Most apps will stay running if you don't shut them down intentionally.

Tweetcaster - for all your twitter needs

Shazam- recognizes songs playing near the speaker...so awesome for when you can't figure out who sings something

Notes- literally a sticky notepad for ramblings or memos

FX camera- fun filter cam app...but you already take way better pics on your own lol

Paper toss -throw balls of paper at a trashcan all day!

Bonsai blast is a hella fun game/timewaster

Facebook of course its kinda effed right now but they're working on it

And I wrote all this from my phone :) enjoy lady! Welcome to 2010!

well all I can say is you probably won't regret that purchase :) HTC phones are awesome! would you mind telling me how much you paid for it? I'm considering getting one too

$200! i mentioned the iphone and the dude in the store said not to hold my breath, haha. that's why i just pulled the trigger on one of these puppies.

I've been thinking about this for a while, but how much does a package with the internet and all that nonsense cost? I have Verizon.

I never took it seriously but my current phone is rapidly dying.. the vibrate doesn't vibrate anymore.

i have verizon, too. almost all of the phones now require you to get at least a 9.99 data package with them (unless you get the one most basic flip phone). this requires a 29.99 a month data package, as do the majority of the nicer phones and all of the smartphones.

im on my parents family plan (and will be for as long as humanly possible) so i'm not sure how much a whole plan would be.

I have a samsung moment and its my first smart phone too!!! Hell my first qwerty :) I have a couple fun apps:

Task killer- this is super important bc the batt drain on droid phones is sick...it shows all the apps you have open and gives you the option to close them all at once. Most apps will stay running if you don't shut them down intentionally.

Shazam- recognizes songs playing near the speaker...so awesome for when you can't figure out who sings something

FX camera- fun filter cam app...but you already take way better pics on your own lol

Paper toss -throw balls of paper at a trashcan all day!

Bonsai blast is a hella fun game/timewaster

sweet. def gonna look into some of those! time wasting is always one of my primary goals.

in regard to advanced task killer, i've heard mixed things. a lot of people are now saying not to use it, cuz it messes up your phone in the longrun. read this: http://geekfor.me/faq/you-shouldnt-be-using-a-task-killer-with-android/

After taxes and a few of my idiot sister's overage for going on the internet for a few minutes, my last month's dealy was $158.82. That's 4 lines in an unlimited minutes and texts/pix messages.

it would probably just be an extra 9.99 on top of that unless you got a smartphone, which would just be 29.99 extra. if you don't care that much about the whole smartphone thing, i'd recommend my sister's current phone, the samsung reality: http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=5229

it's definitely the closest thing to a smartphone they offer, and the data's only 9.99 a month, AND she loves it.

well all I can say is you probably won't regret that purchase :) HTC phones are awesome! would you mind telling me how much you paid for it? I'm considering getting one too

$200! i mentioned the iphone and the dude in the store said not to hold my breath, haha. that's why i just pulled the trigger on one of these puppies.

I've been thinking about this for a while, but how much does a package with the internet and all that nonsense cost? I have Verizon.

I never took it seriously but my current phone is rapidly dying.. the vibrate doesn't vibrate anymore.

i have verizon, too. almost all of the phones now require you to get at least a 9.99 data package with them (unless you get the one most basic flip phone). this requires a 29.99 a month data package, as do the majority of the nicer phones and all of the smartphones.

im on my parents family plan (and will be for as long as humanly possible) so i'm not sure how much a whole plan would be.

yeah I had an iphone and lost it. At&t is treating me like crap so I'm considering cancelling my service with them

Paper toss -throw balls of paper at a trashcan all day!Bonsai blast is a hella fun game/timewaster

I love that stupid game!!!

I just got a Cliq off craiglist a couple weeks back, and could never imagine going back to a oldschool phone.

I use these

-facebook

-aim,

twidroid

-paypal app

-pft auctions (for ebay)

PDAnet - lets you plug your phone into your laptop and gives you wireless when there is no wifi... pretty good if you are on a car trip

-layar - this is great for finiding stores, food joints, bars around your location

-paper toss - dumbest greatest game ever

- and the NES and SNES emulators are great for old school games.

You will never get tired of using your phone! I got the MotoDroid from Verizon. Theres just too much cool stuff you can do on Android phones. Especially with a new update coming soon that will support flash and a bunch of other cool stuff. As for apps, heres some of my favorites:

-Handcent SMS (this text messaging app is way better and more customizable than the stock one.)

-Droidlight (flashlight)

-Zombie Run (google maps based game)

-Yelp

-Skyfire browser (allows you to view any videos in flash except for hulu)

-Wifi on/off home screen toggle

-Weather Channel app

-Astro file manager (take control of files on your phone)

-Air Horn app (my personal favorite)

theres also a bunch of free cool games like

-mazeoid (pacman)

-Titres

-Grandmaster Pixel

-Ethereal Pad (touch activated synthesizer)

have fun with that phone. And dont drop it .

I looooooove my Incredible. The touch keyboard is wonderful. As for apps, I only run a few, just the Weather Channel one, Gmote (to control my iTunes), Droidlight, Air Hockey EM, Live Scores, and Skyfire. My wife has the regular Droid and the Incredible is way, waaaay faster w/ the Snapdragon processor.

whats the difference between the google htc you buy directly from google and the one you can get from phone providers? i went to buy one from google and it was like 5 or 6 hundred dollars or something, where if i wait until my upgrade(3 more months) its only like 200. the ones through t mobile are always like $200 i believe. I think the google is the nexus one? I've been stuck happily in blackberry land for the last two years and am actually a little hesitant to switch.

The One directly from google is called the nexus one. It was really supposed to be made as a base platform to develop applications for new and upcoming phones.

Fortunately it became one of the best android phones to own.

Unfortunately, there was a huge support issue. Cell Service providers didn't want to support the nexus one because it wasn't vetted through their systems and thus get their sign off, OS lockdown options, etc. So if someone called saying that their nexus one wasn't getting any service, they automatically blamed the issue on the phone instead of their service.

Just as the nexus one started getting support, phones like the droid and incredible starting coming through that started to rival the nexus one in hardware. Anyways now it doesn't really matter. The incredible has the same processor as the nexus one and I think more memory, so in the end they are about the same phone.

I got myself one shortly after losing my mytouch to a laundry accident and I must say that I absolutley love it.

I looooooove my Incredible. The touch keyboard is wonderful. As for apps, I only run a few, just the Weather Channel one, Gmote (to control my iTunes), Droidlight, Air Hockey EM, Live Scores, and Skyfire. My wife has the regular Droid and the Incredible is way, waaaay faster w/ the Snapdragon processor.

cool. how does the itunes thing work?