headphone help?

hey there, i'm looking to get a nice set of headphones because i recently got a best buy gift card and figured that headphones would be a worthy way of wasting it. i'm looking to spend in the $100 region, and i would want to be able to plug them into both my ipod and receiver for listening to vinyl, so having an adapter would be great.

any advice for me?

Another vote for the Grado's.

I have the SR125i's which are one step above the SR80i's, but you can't go wrong with the entire Prestige product line. Grado's and rock just work so perfectly together.

If you do end up getting the Grado's, break em in! They take a while to really wake up to their true potential.

Skullcandys yo. Noise Cancelling and they have a lifetime garuntee. Mine malfunctioned a year after i got them, and got a free new pair of the same ones, no questions asked. Worth the price.

No thanks, I have had countless pairs that I got for free because of my old place of employment, and they are really not what I'm looking for.

Good call on staying away from skullcandy, probably the worst price/performance ratio in the audio industry, followed closely by bose. There are some headphones by both that don't sound completely awful, but they cost 3-4 times the cost of equivalent cans from other companies (sound quality wise).

The best thing you can do is take your ipod with you and go try out as many of them as you can. Different models in the same price range vary a lot in their sound character, so it's hard to pick out the right pair without hearing them first.

One thing to consider: with iTunes, if you save everything at a low sample rate so you can fit more music on your computer/iPod, it won't sound very good through any headphones. Man up, buy a larger capacity iPod, and set the sample rate as high as you can for importing. It makes a world of difference.

i have the grado Sr-80s and love them.

they are NOT for day to day traveling use though. for me i keep them at my office desk and they don't leave it. we are talking about $100 headphones after all.

btw spend the extra 10 bucks and swap out the headphone pads for the open cut ones. so much better!

One thing to consider: with iTunes, if you save everything at a low sample rate so you can fit more music on your computer/iPod, it won't sound very good through any headphones. Man up, buy a larger capacity iPod, and set the sample rate as high as you can for importing. It makes a world of difference.

I have everything in 320kbps on the iPod, and almost everything in FLAC on the computer.

I have everything in 320kbps on the iPod, and almost everything in FLAC on the computer.

Only way to do it!

Oh yea, Skullcandy really make some shitty headphones. A friend of mine had the larger over the ear ones and they were the most muddy sounding headphones I ever heard. Zero highs, what bass, just mid range, but shitty mids at that.

There more of a rip off than Bose. Which get smoked by Grado's and Sennheisers all day long. :D