They may have finally closed the motherfucker

Why couldn't this have been done sooner? Those awesome ideas like the "junk shot" and the enormous "box-shaped" containment device (now at the bottom of the seas) were absolute lunacy, and if this hadn't/hasn't worked, I wonder if they would have tried/try the nuclear solution. Seems to me, every new well drilled should probably have a relief well drilled at the same time, and maybe have some sort of metal construct in the pipes that could seal off the flow if another rupture occurs.

It seems like BP simply had no contingency plan, and then blatantly lied about the amount of oil being leaked (1000 barrels a day?) Talk about telling the American public to basically suck it....

This entire event has been an absolutely disgusting show of a lack of empathy, remorse, regret from one of the worlds largest companies, and I would be very surprised if they are able to afford the entire cleanup of this horrendous spill, plus pay the affected parties restitution for a loss in income/livelihood. Not only will they likely not be able to afford to pay for the damages, this will lock American federal courts up for years and years, and there will be no real change in energy policy unless Obama can really convince people it's for the best. I have some hope that he can do it, but... man, it's gonna be a bigger uphill battle than healthcare.

Why couldn't this have been done sooner? Those awesome ideas like the "junk shot" and the enormous "box-shaped" containment device (now at the bottom of the seas) were absolute lunacy, and if this hadn't/hasn't worked, I wonder if they would have tried/try the nuclear solution. Seems to me, every new well drilled should probably have a relief well drilled at the same time, and maybe have some sort of metal construct in the pipes that could seal off the flow if another rupture occurs.

It seems like BP simply had no contingency plan, and then blatantly lied about the amount of oil being leaked (1000 barrels a day?) Talk about telling the American public to basically suck it....

This entire event has been an absolutely disgusting show of a lack of empathy, remorse, regret from one of the worlds largest companies, and I would be very surprised if they are able to afford the entire cleanup of this horrendous spill, plus pay the affected parties restitution for a loss in income/livelihood. Not only will they likely not be able to afford to pay for the damages, this will lock American federal courts up for years and years, and there will be no real change in energy policy unless Obama can really convince people it's for the best. I have some hope that he can do it, but... man, it's gonna be a bigger uphill battle than healthcare.

It couldn't have been done sooner because it takes a while to drill relief wells apparently...

It couldn't have been done sooner because it takes a while to drill relief wells apparently...

I was more talking about a snugger fitting cap. Or even one that could seal it off and allow for one hose to be put over the top if it so the oil could at least be fully collected... I mean, they may have considered it and it was deemed impossible, but it sounds like it could have been done long ago.