RIAA Sues Man For Ripping CDs

I guess that is for the courts to decide. I think it's 'fair use', and any threat to that is going to set a pretty dangerous precedent as to what people are allowed to do with items they legimately paid for (license to use).

also, HOME TAPING IS KILLING THE MUSIC INDUSTRY.

How does the RIAA even find out about this?

He had to have been sharing them somewhere, or there would be no way they would know.

Shouldn't this be legal since he is simply backing up hard copies of cd's he legitimately owns?

Technically CDs are indestructible, and there is no legal grounds for backing up "indestructible" media.

How does the RIAA even find out about this?

He had to have been sharing them somewhere, or there would be no way they would know.

Shouldn't this be legal since he is simply backing up hard copies of cd's he legitimately owns?

Technically CDs are indestructible, and there is no legal grounds for backing up "indestructible" media.

How is a cd technically indestructible?

How is a cd technically indestructible?

With normal play, they do not degrade or get destroyed. However we all know they deteriorate over time.

actually, no.

CDs are a degradable material unless you have one of those gold laced CDs... joe lifeline was telling me about this like a year ago when we got into a discussion about this topic. He read an article about how the reading lasers of CD players initiate some sort of slow degradation of the media...

*cough*oh, you'll love this*cough*

he said that unless it's on vinyl, where as the media/sound is physically force translated(my words, not his) into an actual substrate that they will last forever....as long as they don't melt.

;)

also, HOME TAPING IS KILLING THE MUSIC INDUSTRY.

I don't know if anybody else got that I LOL'd

word.

Off the top of my head, my Give Me Convenience or Give Me Death has had this, as has my Clarity. This is a format that is supposed to last 100 years. It doesn't. For the last 6 or so years I have made CDR copies of every CD I have purchased and used said copies exclusively (if you leave your car in Detroit a lot, you know why).

Either this case is a month or so old, or something really, really similar just happened, and the article announcing it spun everything out of proportion. There was an enormous thread on Absolute Punk about it. It was mainly the little kids going "fuck that, that's stupid of the RIAA!" and not reading anything else, but someone posted a link to the actual case report and it wasn't that the CDs were ripped, it was that they were ripped and placed in a shared folder which was then accessible by other people to DL from.

So I imagine this case is the same. It's not the act of ripping.. it's where the files end up once they're ripped.

Guest abravemorning
Either this case is a month or so old, or something really, really similar just happened, and the article announcing it spun everything out of proportion. There was an enormous thread on Absolute Punk about it. It was mainly the little kids going "fuck that, that's stupid of the RIAA!" and not reading anything else, but someone posted a link to the actual case report and it wasn't that the CDs were ripped, it was that they were ripped and placed in a shared folder which was then accessible by other people to DL from.

So I imagine this case is the same. It's not the act of ripping.. it's where the files end up once they're ripped.

I'm not so sure. RIAA lawyers have stated that they believe ripping CD's is making illegal copies, and therefore illegal.

actually, no.

CDs are a degradable material unless you have one of those gold laced CDs... joe lifeline was telling me about this like a year ago when we got into a discussion about this topic. He read an article about how the reading lasers of CD players initiate some sort of slow degradation of the media...

*cough*oh, you'll love this*cough*

he said that unless it's on vinyl, where as the media/sound is physically force translated(my words, not his) into an actual substrate that they will last forever....as long as they don't melt.

I never said it was correct, I just know that years ago I came across some legal stuff on CD based games and that was one of the things about it.

I'm not so sure. RIAA lawyers have stated that they believe ripping CD's is making illegal copies, and therefore illegal.

No, the brief said that it was specifically that the copies were placed in a shared folder, not just that the copies were made. It was the two conditions that were the basis of the case.

i have a lot of cds that were ruined from the paint on them going bad. mainly the ones with the silvery coating, like the G&R greatest hits cd. (first one to come to my mind that got ruined)

also, if you're like me and live in a cold climate and forget to bring your cds in from your car a night or two, they crack. i lost several nofx cds that way.

Guest scriptedrain

Yeah, same here. I've let them sit in my car over winter and they ended up just fine. The only thing is they won't play in the car's CD player right away. You basically have to warm them up, anyone know why?