Good Movies You've Seen Lately

for me:

Atonement

It's a period-piece/love-story but it's pretty darn kickass. I mean come on, it's got Keira Knightley in it if nothing else floats your boat

Before The Devil Knows You're Dead

Directed by Sidney Lumet and it has Phillip Seymour Hoffman in it. Ethan Hawke puts forth an impressively strong performance and Marisa Tomei is topless for just about the first half of the movie. Otherwise it's a heart-wrenching thriller. Check it out.

You Kill Me

Sir Ben Kingsley earns his knightship again (the first time for Sexy Beast in which he was FRIGHTENING) with this dark-comedy/romance flick co-starring Tea Leoni (who is also excellent). It's hilarious in all the right ways and also features Bill Pullman, Luke Wilson, and the always hilarious Dennis Farina. Check it out if you haven't already.

I was totally about to resurrect the Movie Recommendations thread, but this will do I suppose.

I just watched Hot Fuzz and it was seriously awesome. It wasn't as funny as I would have thought until about half way through, but then the funny gets cranked way up. Highly recommended.

I Am Legend had a pretty bad ending. it was so rushed.

and i love the screenplays Charlie Kaufman writes. so good. i actually bought two Eternal Sunshine posters from ebay. i think they're pretty rad.

[image][image]

they have one for kirsten dunst's character, as well. but i don't like her (not just in this movie, but in others), so i didn't bother.

I don't want you to think this is going to be some kind of film with an involved plot, so much as it is just a "documentary" of heavy metal fans/culture prior to a Judas Priest concert in 1986. I mean, I don't know how much you've looked into it. It's kind of like 'people watching'. There's no dialogue, it's all very real and very hilarious (mostly unintentionally, from the people it features).

Ultimately it appeals to the same part of me that likes to watch old Civil Defense, propaganda, and educational films. It's a bizarre and real look into a culture that is fucking hilarious when you think about it.

also, it's less than 20 minutes long.

also, funniest part? Dudes actually think Priest is BETTER THAN MAIDEN. I mean what the fuck?

I don't want you to think this is going to be some kind of film with an involved plot, so much as it is just a "documentary" of heavy metal fans/culture prior to a Judas Priest concert in 1986. I mean, I don't know how much you've looked into it. It's kind of like 'people watching'. There's no dialogue, it's all very real and very hilarious (mostly unintentionally, from the people it features).

Ultimately it appeals to the same part of me that likes to watch old Civil Defense, propaganda, and educational films. It's a bizarre and real look into a culture that is fucking hilarious when you think about it.

also, funniest part? Dudes actually think Priest is BETTER THAN MAIDEN. I mean what the fuck?

Netflix says its 165 minutes long. I do agree that priest is nowhere near the awesomeness of The Maiden.

Netflix says its 165 minutes long. I do agree that priest is nowhere near the awesomeness of The Maiden.

Well, I ain't never seen the DVD. I just looked it up and apparently it has 2 hours of extras. I swear to you the original VHS tape is only like 20 minute long, so god knows what the extras will be like. Maybe I should check that out.

Has anyone seen Heavy Metal Parking Lot and if so is it worth watching?

yes, it's worth watching. its freakin' hilarious...it was kinda scary actually, because it took me back to the days when i would go to those exact same shows. oh the motley crue and iron maiden parking lots would have been excellent. that era, while extremely cheesy, holds a place in my heart.

added note: the extras while can be a bit nostalgic, and only interesting to the people that lived that era and that scene, other parts can be quite funny.

First off, i watch copious amount of movies (mostly due to being a recluse). Mostly movies i've seen before, but new as well. So here it goes. This is my list since thursday-tonight in no particular order

1. The Wild Bunch (probably one of the most gruesome gunfights on celluloid)

2. The Namesake (I really liked this movie, the characters and storyline development was very well built..etc etc )

3. Salo - 120 Days of Sodom (a friend wanted to watch it, and while i love this movie, i care not to see it for a while)

4. Rosewood (i love john singleton movies..and while depressing, it was really well shot and good potrayal)

5. Tao of Steve (Hell yes)

6. Oldboy (watch this movie..it's freakin' awesome)

7. No Country For Old Men (Damn!!! This has to be my fav for this year)

8. Before The Devil Knows Your Dead (I have to say that Marisa Tomei is gorgeous..but the movie is still good)

9. The Golden Compass (I wasn't too impressed, but it wasn't a bad movie)

10. The Perfect Holiday (ok, ok, i'm a big Gabrielle Union Fan...sue me)

picturebook: I've been meaning to see ONCE for some reason i just haven't. I saw the video for it and bought it on a whim and it's still sealed sitting on my shelf with about 10 other movies i haven't watched. It just seems like movie i'd have to be in a certain mood for. Maybe i'll see it when i wake up.

I'm going to watch No Country for Old Men tonight. I downloaded it the other day and everyone seems to enjoy it so I'll fire that up. I downloaded the new Hairspray too (I may never watch it, but I have to fill my media server) the original was pretty good.

That's if I don't get side tracked by my new DVDs: The Extras (seasons 1 & 2) and Weeds (seasons 1 & 2). I love TV shows.