Menzingers - Hold On Dodge (Repress)

srcvinyl

Toby told me it was just a repress, said nothing about new colors. Maybe there, though? He wants people to buy records cause they want to listen to that shit, not because one copy might be worth more than another one day. I think that is great!

Also, Toby, I am not sending your your royalty checks anymore until you put Menzingers and Sundowner LPs in production. You know they can't get released until 2011 now!!

Really stoked to see this repressed, these guys have shot up the charts in my group's listening rotation. I also spoke with Toby when The Menzingers played in Toronto, asked when he would be putting Chamberlain Waits out on wax. He was adamant about not pressing it, he hates how much the Falcon's Unicornography goes for on ebay when the label barely makes any money on putting out a release on vinyl. I feel his pain, but feel that these guys could easily sell 500 Chamberlain Waits if they put it out. Here's to hope.

he hates how much the Falcon's Unicornography goes for on ebay when the label barely makes any money on putting out a release on vinyl.

I understand the frustration, but honestly that is one of the stupidest reasons to not release a record. I don't see eBay as a big enough reason to neglect what not only the fans but also the band actually wants. When I saw the Menzingers in DC, I talked to the dudes about this and was told to pester Toby/Red Scare via email until he released more Menzingers on vinyl haha. And if making money off eBay is really an issue, wait a month or two and sell some test pressings on there like other labels.

Also, did anybody make it out last night to see them in Baltimore? I wanted to either go to that or Murder By Death in DC, but it just wasn't in the cards.

Really stoked to see this repressed, these guys have shot up the charts in my group's listening rotation. I also spoke with Toby when The Menzingers played in Toronto, asked when he would be putting Chamberlain Waits out on wax. He was adamant about not pressing it, he hates how much the Falcon's Unicornography goes for on ebay when the label barely makes any money on putting out a release on vinyl. I feel his pain, but feel that these guys could easily sell 500 Chamberlain Waits if they put it out. Here's to hope.

Seems kind of odd. I mean if the secondhand market price is that big of a deal, I'd think he'd keep repressing the Falcon album to combat any such market.

Exactly. I think not pressing an album because somebody will sell it at a higher price is counter-intuitive. While I'm sure it is expensive not only to fund new releases but represses as well, the secondary market at least gives you a good judgement of demand. Sure, a first press tends to be more sought after by a collector and a second press doesn't totally rid the fact of price gouging, but it sure helps (see also: my second press of the Unicornography ha). I guess its just disheartening to see people making a lot of money off of something you put your time, effort, and passion into, as 1) They had nothing to do with it and 2) You're just breaking even financially. Even so, if this gamble wasn't worth it in some sense, then records (or anything collectable for that matter) would never get made.

So I guess what I'm getting at is, if Red Scare doesn't wanna do it, license it to somebody who does :D

Exactly. I think not pressing an album because somebody will sell it at a higher price is counter-intuitive. While I'm sure it is expensive not only to fund new releases but represses as well, the secondary market at least gives you a good judgement of demand. Sure, a first press tends to be more sought after by a collector and a second press doesn't totally rid the fact of price gouging, but it sure helps (see also: my second press of the Unicornography ha). I guess its just disheartening to see people making a lot of money off of something you put your time, effort, and passion into, as 1) They had nothing to do with it and 2) You're just breaking even financially. Even so, if this gamble wasn't worth it in some sense, then records (or anything collectable for that matter) would never get made.

So I guess what I'm getting at is, if Red Scare doesn't wanna do it, license it to somebody who does :D

We have asked about some releases...he wont do it!! He just keeps saying he hates vinyl...but I can understand his frustration with the ebay things. Although test pressings and continuously printing the releases so they dont go out of print are great ideas.

Makes perfect sence to me. Sure people would want to get 1st Pressings but there's certainly money to be had from repressing Unicornography. (Scored my orange copy on clearance at a Hot Topic for like $5 btw) As for Menzingers and Sundower on vinyl. That shit would sell out day one.

he hates how much the Falcon's Unicornography goes for on ebay when the label barely makes any money on putting out a release on vinyl.

I understand the frustration, but honestly that is one of the stupidest reasons to not release a record. I don't see eBay as a big enough reason to neglect what not only the fans but also the band actually wants. When I saw the Menzingers in DC, I talked to the dudes about this and was told to pester Toby/Red Scare via email until he released more Menzingers on vinyl haha. And if making money off eBay is really an issue, wait a month or two and sell some test pressings on there like other labels.

Also, did anybody make it out last night to see them in Baltimore? I wanted to either go to that or Murder By Death in DC, but it just wasn't in the cards.

i even won a free ticket to the show but couldn't end up getting there. my friends were playing a show last night and like you said, it wasn't in the cards. bummer. luckily they live pretty close.

true true. yeah, there was even a pretty good show in my town (Japanther made it down here) and I sat at home watching Machete with friends instead ha. Maybe next time there can be a PA invasion tour with The Menzingers, The Holy Mess, and Captain, We're Sinking...just sayin.

You should press it though; and offer local pickup to save me money on shipping too :D

We have asked about some releases...he wont do it!! He just keeps saying he hates vinyl...but I can understand his frustration with the ebay things. Although test pressings and continuously printing the releases so they dont go out of print are great ideas.

I read this in an interview this morning:

How about “Four One Five Two” vinyl?

Also on it’s way. Red Scare is going to do it this fall, some time. I’m not entirely sure when, but Toby promised me that this fall, we’re doing “Four One Five Two” vinyl. So it’s definitely on its way. I’m stoked.

Full story here: http://dirtywordsonadirtywall.tumblr.com/post/1169820192/sundowner-chris-mccaughan-interview

Who knows at this point?!

• 2 weeks later...