shipping vinyl thru paypal

This clown wants to start a label using Kickstarter...

http://absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=1939652

I don't want to "start a label" through kickstarter. I want to release a vinyl from a smaller band and possibly use kickstarter to gauge interest in the band. Whats so wrong with that?

The fact that you don't know "what's so wrong with that" shows that you have no fucking business starting a label.

I am fine with you flipping records. I don't give a damn about that. But whatever you do, don't start a label, and especially don't start it with Kickstarter.

Also, "a vinyl".

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because I am just a college kid trying to make some extra money to support my unhealthy addiction to buying vinyl ;D Don't really have the desire to start my own distro nor do I have the time to put into something of that scale.

Because I am just a college kid trying to make some extra money to support my unhealthy addiction to buying vinyl ;D Don't really have the desire to start my own distro nor do I have the time to put into something of that scale.

I don't want to "start a label" through kickstarter. I want to release a vinyl from a smaller band and possibly use kickstarter to gauge interest in the band. Whats so wrong with that?

It pretty much just says you don't like putting out music cause its music, you do it for money (which explains your high prices). Maybe if you liked a band enough, you'd press their shit to get other people to take a chance on them.

The way you worded that thread was similar to this:

ATTN BANDS: IF YOU HAZ LOTZ OF GROUPIEZ, AND CAN MAKE MONEY, PLZ GET AT ME AND I CAN PRESS YOUR VINYLZ ON SWEET SPLATTER COPIES (WITH KICKSTARTER SO THAT IF IT TANKS I DONT LOSE ANY MONEY) AND CAN MAKE A PROFIT.

Maybe I worded it wrong and maybe since you have a preconceived notion of me you are assuming the worst, but that is not what I was trying to say at all. My intention is not to make money, it is to gain experience and possibly help out a local band who can't afford to release a record on their own do it. Hell I wouldn't mind losing money on the record, I just want to know that if I print the record people will actually buy it.

My idea with kickstarter was to have 150 people pledge $2 to get a $5 discount code when/if the record gets pressed (basically giving it to them at cost) I figured 150 people wouldn't randomly give 2 dollars if they didn't actually want to buy the record.

so that would be $300 from kick starter.........................................................................$300

150x$5 for the people who buy the record at discount (assuming I retail them at $10).......$750

100x$10 for the rest of the records (assuming they even sell).........................................$1,000

that would be a grand total of $2,050 if every record sells...

pirate press is charging $1,600 for 250 colored vinyl (which I don't think includes shipping or inserts) that would leave me with less then $450 total profit to split with the band (assuming every record sells)

I don't want to open up my own distro and I am a college kid...what exactly is wrong with that post?

The fact that you don't know "what's so wrong with that" shows that you have no fucking business starting a label.

I am fine with you flipping records. I don't give a damn about that. But whatever you do, don't start a label, and especially don't start it with Kickstarter.

Also, "a vinyl".

Once again i'm not trying to start my own label using kick starter. I thought it could possibly be used to gauge interest in a bands material. Hell i'd be willing to give the band the proceeds of the kickstarter money.

man, if you're expecting to 'split money' with anyone, get real. most people i know who put out vinyl end up barely breaking even. especially from a 'lesser known band'.

that was my point, did you not notice all the "if's" that had to happen in order for me to make a measly 200 bucks? It would pretty much be a guarantee I would lose money.

that was my point, did you not notice all the "if's" that had to happen in order for me to make a measly 200 bucks? It would pretty much be a guarantee I would lose money.

Which is it?

Which is it?

The first comment was in response to Jailhouse asking why I don't just get a wholesale account and start selling vinyl like Intrpunk and Shopradiocast. Setting up a distro that could compete with those two is not something that is very feasible, nor is something i'd like to do.

The second comment is talking about printing someones material on vinyl, and has absolutely no relation to the first. Can you not read for yourself or do I really have to explain everything to you?

Which is it?

My turn to ask a question- why do you have multiple copies of the same vinyl/color on your limited pressing page?

I'm trying to have every record ever made.

EDIT: The limited pressing page is outdated check out the google docs tradelist if you want to do some trading. I have some stuff that would go well in your store.

So you think that starting up a label is any less work than starting a distro?

Both your statements are very similar. Get rich poor fast schemes involving rock music vinyl.

I'm trying to have every record ever made.

EDIT: The limited pressing page is outdated check out the google docs tradelist if you want to do some trading. I have some stuff that would go well in your store.

So you think that starting up a label is any less work than starting a distro?

Both your statements are very similar. Get rich poor fast schemes involving rock music vinyl.

checked the google docs page as well, you still have multiple copies of the same vinyl/color listed. Why?

and yes I think releasing an independent/local bands music on vinyl is less work then opening up a profitable, well run distro that could compete with the likes of Interpunk and Shopradiocast

you dont have to buy labels. you can print with normal paper - just dont tape over the barcode itself. ive shipped with paypal labels. it is a million times more convenient (you dont even have to wait in line at the post office, just drop it off and go) and the shipping cost comes straight out of your paypal. plus, you get delivery confirmation for only .17 cents (or free if you ship priority).

Sorry to drive away from this dudes awesomeness of a thread. But why not tape over the barcode? I've done it for probably about 900 packages and never had a problem. Just living in florida, I know things get crazy wet randomly with hurricances and such, so I try to keep the label from smearing if it gets wet. I use a thin type of tape, so Maybe its okay? or is it just "paypal" labels?