How has rock and roll ruined YOUR life?

i remember when i was still into that music. i was stoked of the song "seven years". nothing saosin put out with or after that ever lived up to how great i thought that song was.

True fact.

god yes...anthony singing seven years is still one of the greatest things ever.......but then again, i was a big saosin fanboy around the first EP before anthony left

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course I really WAS being sarcastic when I said "rock and roll RUINED my life." I wouldn't even trade the bad shows I've played or the times I've gotten stranded for anything.

I don't really have time for much more follow up right now other than I'm glad to see other people's stories, you dudes rule. To be honest with you, right after making this thread, I struggled with whether I should just delete it before anybody sees it.

Guest genericinsight

I've definitely gone out of my way to take last minute trips or spend ridiculous amounts of money to see my favorite bands. Most recently would be these:

- Strung Out show at Knitting Factory in NYC. I left immediately after the show to head up to the bus terminal and take a Greyhound at 1am to get to Boston by 5am. Got to my hotel only to find I couldn't check in till 7am, so I had to waste 2 hours before I could check in. Slept for 4 hours and then woke up at 11 so I could make the 1pm Strung Out matinee show at the Middle East in Cambridge.

- later that same month I literally decided a week in advance I was going to the Fest, so within a week I managed to find a ticket and a place to stay, but had to spend ridiculous amounts of money on a plane ticket to Florida, plus bus fare from Orlando to Gainesville. Then I got fucked for even more money when I couldn't find a ride to Jacksonville to catch my flight home on Monday, and had to spend $125 and take a fucking cab to the airport because I had no other options. I JUST got my finances from that whole trip sorted out last week. For the record, because of how much money I spent getting there, I only took $100 (I only had $120 left after all that) out of my bank account for spending money at the Fest. I didn't/couldn't buy any merch so all the money was spent simply on food and such.

Yeah, these trips but especially Fest put a big strain on me financially but they were both worth it. The Fest was one of the best times I've had in recent memory and I wouldn't trade any of those experiences I had down there for the world, regardless of how in debt it put me.

Of course I really WAS being sarcastic when I said "rock and roll RUINED my life." I wouldn't even trade the bad shows I've played or the times I've gotten stranded for anything.

I think we all get that. Its not that its ruined anyones life, but it definitely makes you sacrifice things that most people would not be willing to in the same situation, such as time, money, relationships and health. I found it happens to most people in bands, and a lot of people that are as involved in the lifestyle like we are.

• 1 month later...

So, this was forever ago, but I'm bumping it. I am trying to get my mind off a bunch of things, and everyone I normally talk to is sleeping or working. BUMMER.

If there's one anecdote that explains where my priorities are, it's this :

In the fall of 2003 I got hired to be the manager of a video store. This was the hardest I've ever fought to get a job - lots of interviews and tests and whatnot. I was stoked. Within the first week, during my training with the division manager, I told them I needed to be out by 5pm. I had to have time to vote and go see the Weakerthans.

Sure enough, even though they agreed to have me out by then, I was held over with paperwork and shit. I just left. I'd be lying if I said I quit just because I wanted to vote and see a show, but if they couldn't respect my time, especially as it relates to two things I care about (getting Bush the fuck out of office - FAIL; seeing amazing shows - SUCCESS), then how could I possibly feel like my time there was worth it?

Chicago was an amazing time. I met a boardie or two, but didn't really stick around for much. I picked up some extra merch, unfortunately for board dudes I want to help out my best friend picked through it all. I was a bit ticked, honestly, but what am I gonna do. All I have left is an extra XL show-exclusive shirt I shouldn't have bought anyway. Hot Water Music killed, as I'm sure you've all heard.

Denver was...interesting. We ended up taking AMTRAK. I am convinced now that most people take AMTRAK because they can drink more than they'd be allowed to on any other form of public transport. While I have a thousand stories that I'd love to tell about that, I will just say that it was enough for me to watch the countryside at night while listening to music. I brought books (too fucking many of them) but managed to only get through one (World War Z by Max Brooks). Tom Waits is about the most fitting possible thing to listen to in that situation.

We stayed in downtown Denver, which was way the hell nicer than staying in downtown Detroit (it goes without saying, but I fuckin' said it anyway!). Beautiful city. I feel like a lameass because the only cool local place we shopped at was the Tattered Cover, on Virgil's recommendation.

That was definitely the best PMFS show I've ever been to. They're such a 'live band', but with their small draw in Detroit, you don't often find yourself in the crowd with a ton of other people rocking the fuck out. It's so much better with people to sing along with. Something was up with Gared, I'm not sure if it was sickness or anxiety or what, but he looked like he was going to die through the first few songs. He split for a bit to "puke out back", and returned within 20 minutes. You'd think that would have killed the momentum, but the show only got more intense from there.

The whole thing was bittersweet, but good times nonetheless. I'm so glad I went.

I was given directions to the afterparty by their tour manager, Emily. If I have one regret, it's that I didn't go to that. I was tired, but still... I guess I was too nervous, for lack of a better word. The same thing happened with all the people I've met from the board; everyone's been really cool, and Virgil asked if we wanted to go across the street and grab a drink before the show (should have taken him up on it), but I've been struggling with an increasing amount of anxiety when it comes to things like meeting new people. I feel like such an ass because of it. I've just met people and been like, "uhh... hey" then disappeared. I used to be such a people person. I think alcohol and caffeine would only make things worse. I'm doing my best.

This post is kind of way after-the-fact. I've had a really, REALLY messed up week and it's been hard to concentrate on doing things like writing concise show reviews and summaries of what I've been up to.

I traveled 5000 miles from my home town of bridlington east yorkshire (UK) to Gainesville florida for the hot water music reunion shows . And im off to Gemany in may to see there first euro show.

I spent all that remained of my wage on a 7" record and have not been able to pay any bills or even my rent

so far 08 has been very expensive

Guest scriptedrain

Awesome bump, hope you feel better. Writing definitely helps me when I'm bummed or trying to make sense of stuff, feel free to share on here anytime as I'm sure other people are as stoked to read it as I am.

i don't think it constitutes as it ruined my life, but definitely set it on another path.

I was going to join the air force or the navy after high school, but decided that I didn't want to kill brown people for a living, and mind you for the navy I was looking to do submarine work...so we would have killed people from hundreds of miles away...or at least that's what I told myself. I figured that doing that wasn't worth college money...even the $60,000+ signing bonuses they were throwing at me. So I dicked around working shit jobs, and went to shows and made friends and had a lot of growing up and through this music...made it worthwhile. because I didn't join.

i ran a semi-successful radio show for 6 years, which led to starting my first record label. which led to me starting my own a few years later. the radio show also introduced me to a friend who got me signed up to be in the painter's union which is the reason why I can afford to do a record label....when i have a job..

I have made friends that 10 years ago I never, EVER thought I'd be friends with(mainly concerning people in bigger bands)

I would never have met any of my best friends.

I've gone on tours, I've flown to cities for shows, I have friends in other countries. All of this is mind-boggling to me.

my parents have been very supportive of this life...they were concerned while I was in high school, but once I sat down and explained to them what I was doing, they backed off(especially the straight edge aspect of my life). I don't think they're 100% supportive of the label, but they respect what I'm doing, my dad is a music nerd too, hell, that's where I got THAT part of my personality...so they're proud of me, but I don't think they fully grasp the amount of money I've sunk into the label...so that's my little secret from them.

I like who I am which is direct influence of this music, what I've learned or been compelled to search out because of the bands, songs, etc...

long story short, I would not be here if I had signed up, I'd be somewhere else, probably making more money or maybe dead because of being in the armed forces. but I surely wouldn't be who I am today.