Cloverfield for those who have seen it [Spoilers]

mcm1610

I figured the ambiguity in the other thread called for a thread similar to this one to be made.

Here we can go into whatever discussion about the movie without risking spoiling it for anyone. If that happens anyway, what are they doing in this thread, eh?

I'll leave some space for anyone who clicked accidentally or out of curiosity and want to reconsider....

More space.

I'll start by asking what people were disappointed with at the end of the movie. It was pretty clear from the gov't file where it said something like "Found at ______, what was once Central Park" that the story wasn't going to end well for anyone. First, they didn't bring the camera to safety, and second, Manhatten is no more.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah i got really bad motion sickness from it.

i thought it was really good. a lot of people were pissed because they didn't explain what that monster thing was at all, but i kinda like the mystery behind it, made me and my gf search the internet for leads, and there's a TON of fake sites set up by the movie makers that adds to the mystery.

NPR did a piece on the movie a few weeks ago talking about all of it, ill see if i can find it in the archives later tonight, or if anyone else wants to pull it up that'd be sweeeet.

Yea, it was really nice how they didn't explain what the monster was. The kids I saw it with and I talked about how it was better that they never really knew, instead of having some segment on the news that they see about it, ruining the mystery. It even sparked debate when another friend saw it... he came home and goes "so... it was an alien, right?" And another friend argued it was from underwater. It was all theoretical, "what do you think?" debate, but that would've been ruined if they told us.

Also, another friend of mine had a cool idea. He saw an interview or read something where the director mentioned that in today's society, everyone documents everything. The Statue of Liberty head scene was a prime example, with everyone pulling out their cell phone cameras to shoot a photo of it. Because of this societal characteristic, thousands of other people in the city would have filmed the events just like the characters we met were. I think it would be cool, instead of a true sequel, like "the monster isn't dead, look at it destroy New Jersey!" there could be something where it's the same events, same day, but from another camera's perspective.

Money-wise, I think it would flop terribly, but I would enjoy it. You could do another hand-held camera, a news reporter, even the soldiers with their head-cams.

I must have missed it too; what was it? I've heard that there's a possibility of a "sequel" called Hammerdown, which would be from the military's perspective. I'm not sure of the validity in that rumor, but it would be interesting.

p.s. I also got horrible motion sickness from it, and ended up missing some of the movie due to putting my head down and closing my eyes.

bad motion sickness. i loved it. it was unique oppossed to other "godzilla type" movies. one question though i might be stupid for asking this but why is it called cloverfield. after the movie i couldnt figure that shit out.
Apparently that was the original title to keep it under-wraps until it had a full title, but the studio ended up keeping it. Also, it's the street the studio is located on.

Story-wise, it was only mentioned during the government-file lead-in as the case's code name.

I didn't get motion sickness.

My only question is: What happened to the girl who got in the first helicopter? They didn't show that one crashing or anything, so I'm assuming it escaped safely.

I think you have to assume she made it, as long as the monster didn't continue on and destroy whereever they were evac'ing to.

I must have missed it too; what was it?

well shit maybe i'm imagining it if i'm the only one that saw it. the long shot of the waterline at the end, when they're on the ferris wheel or whatever, on the right hand side of the screen i saw something fall into the water, looked like a meteor or something.

I didn't get any motion sickness cause i sat high enough to clearly see the edges of the screen.

The monster itself wasn't looking as good as it could've but it's alright.. also, I'm happy the only survivor of their "gang" is the BLACK chick!

haha

It makes up for all the looters at the store being black.. haha

I must have missed it too; what was it?

well shit maybe i'm imagining it if i'm the only one that saw it. the long shot of the waterline at the end, when they're on the ferris wheel or whatever, on the right hand side of the screen i saw something fall into the water, looked like a meteor or something.

Ohhh I missed that, but I know something was there according to wikipedia.

There's alot of talk online about the sequal(s) having to do with the three elemental beasts of the apocolypse. This obviously being the first. Intense. I don't know how I feel about that one, though. I think it came from the earth, ocean, or something along those lines. Godzilla came out of the ocean, so it's not unlikely. An alien doesn't rank too high on my list. Unless it was an alien nesting beneath the earth's crust for thousands of years waiting to attack. Ok, maybe not. I didn't keep up with any of the viral marketing for this, which I'm sure would just distract me more from a solid answer, and I'm having trouble finding much online about theories post release.

I also had some issues at the very beginning with motion sickness, but i really didnt want to miss anything so i looked down for a few seconds and it helped. Usually my girl has motion sickness problems but it didnt bother her at all.

I have also heard rumors about a sequel about different peoples perspectives. I would hope it would be people in different countries or parts of the USA.

I wanted to believe it was some sort of dinosaur but i guess i would consider it some alien form. But didnt one of the characters talk about creatures from under the sea have been around for 100s of years that people didnt know about when they were guessing what it could be. Just a thought.

There's alot of talk online about the sequal(s) having to do with the three elemental beasts of the apocolypse. This obviously being the first. Intense. I don't know how I feel about that one, though. I think it came from the earth, ocean, or something along those lines. Godzilla came out of the ocean, so it's not unlikely. An alien doesn't rank too high on my list. Unless it was an alien nesting beneath the earth's crust for thousands of years waiting to attack. Ok, maybe not. I didn't keep up with any of the viral marketing for this, which I'm sure would just distract me more from a solid answer, and I'm having trouble finding much online about theories post release.

Well, it could be a little of both (alien AND sea creature), if a meteor hit the water and then the monster made its way to land. Obviously the thing was able to breathe under water for quite a while. Also, this is from wikipedia:

"Puzzle websites containing Lovecraftian elements, such as Ethan Haas Was Right, were originally reported to be connected to the film. On July 9, 2007, producer J. J. Abrams stated that, while a number of websites were being developed to market the film, the only official site that had been found was 1-18-08.com. At the site, a collection of time-coded photos are provided to visitors to piece together a series of events and interpret their meanings.

As part of the viral marketing campaign, the drink Slusho! has served as a tie-in. The drink had previously appeared in producer Abrams' previous creation, the TV series Alias. Viral websites for Slusho! and a Japanese drilling company named Tagruato (????? Taguruato?) were launched to add to the mythology of Cloverfield. When Cloverfield was hosted at Comic-Con 2007, gray Slusho! t-shirts were distributed to attendees. Fans who had registered at the Slusho! website for Cloverfield received e-mails of fictional sonar images prior to the film's release that showed a deep-sea creature heading toward Manhattan.

Producer Bryan Burk explained the viral tie-in, "[it] was all done in conjunction with the studio… The whole experience in making this movie is very reminiscent [of] how we did Lost." Director Matt Reeves described Slusho! as "part of the involved connectivity" with Abrams' Alias and that the drink represented a "meta-story" for Cloverfield. The director explained, "It's almost like tentacles that grow out of the film and lead, also, to the ideas in the film. And there's this weird way where you can go see the movie and it's one experience… But there's also this other place where you can get engaged where there's this other sort of aspect for all those people who are into that. All the stories kind of bounce off one another and inform each other. But, at the end of the day, this movie stands on its own to be a movie. The Internet sort of stories and connections and clues are, in a way, a prism and they're another way of looking at the same thing. To us, it's just another exciting aspect of the storytelling."

"Matt Reeves (director) has expressed interest in making a sequel, to explore other people who recorded their experiences during the monster's attack. He had added the end scene where in the background something fell in the ocean to specifically hint at a future exploration of the creature's backstory."

But didnt one of the characters talk about creatures from under the sea have been around for 100s of years that people didnt know about when they were guessing what it could be. Just a thought.

Yup. That's a coelacanth. It's a prehistoric fish they rediscovered. It's not really the same one that used to be alive because...I don't remember. I'm a cryptozoology nerd on the side of being a regular nerd so I thought that was kind of cool to throw in for an idea. Like I said, I lean towards the ocean because of how little of it has been explored and especially monitored. That leaves alot of open space for something like that to hide. Then again, if it is a meteor crashing into the water, I don't know, I guess I would lean towards an alien thing.