Ultimate Fakebook

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny thing about who just got the last test pressing, it was Justin from Motion City Soundtrack, here was his last tweet: "It's gone. Sorry everyone who isn't me"

He fucking loves them. He had them open the three full album shows in Chicago. They were the only opened so they got to play a good chunk.

Funny thing about who just got the last test pressing, it was Justin from Motion City Soundtrack, here was his last tweet: "It's gone. Sorry everyone who isn't me"

this is actually incorrect. it was not justin pierre, but rather justin parlette, a kansas city native who coincidentally is also a film maker (much like pierre), and the co-creator of the dead wait web series.

this is actually incorrect. it was not justin pierre, but rather justin parlette, a kansas city native who coincidentally is also a film maker (much like pierre), and the co-creator of the dead wait web series.

Shit dude you are right, haha..... Though we did sell one to Justin from MCS, but he didn't get a test pressing, lol. My bad, but still cool none the less. The Dead Wait series is fucking bad ass, i know Rocket Heart has helped them w/ their Kickstarter projects!!!

We want to open up more test presses, only thing is they are all spoken for, three was all we could round up from the 10 that are getting pressed.

As for if this does not go through, I'm not sure, maybe try again in a few months, after they do their string of shows in December. Maybe then they can get some more steam. We are wanting to get get enough $$ to press the album, that way they can be sold at the shows as well..... If any of you guys want to do ANYTHING to help w/ promo, shoot me an email at taylor at rocketheartrecords dot com

This probably will sound asinine or come across the wrong way. But you could, theoretically save up some money and press the record. That is what labels have historically done, startup labels never really had donation sites to fund the labels releases in the past.

I don't mean any offense, I guess I may just be behind the times.

We did that with our last album, took a risk, and are now in a debt cuz of it..... I guess it's the name of the game. Since this is not a touring band, they really have no income coming in, and w/ bills and life, saving to do a release like this isn't something that's in the cards....

On a side note, we are working on maybe adding another reward, if ya pledge $1 you will get a digital download of the unreleased track "Rocket Hearts On Fire" Gotta get the bands ok first......

We did that with our last album, took a risk, and are now in a debt cuz of it..... I guess it's the name of the game. Since this is not a touring band, they really have no income coming in, and w/ bills and life, saving to do a release like this isn't something that's in the cards....

On a side note, we are working on maybe adding another reward, if ya pledge $1 you will get a digital download of the unreleased track "Rocket Hearts On Fire" Gotta get the bands ok first......

Wow... you mean you had a real label experience? Putting out records is a risk. Art isn't based on sure things.

Seriously dude?

"yeah I tried that and got in debt" :'( what!?

I can't believe people are actually happily giving you money.

Yes, releasing records is taking a risk. The point of what we are trying to do is release music on a format that we all like...vinyl. Needless to say, people don't get into the music business for the money, unless you're Justin Bieber or Lady Gaga.

I grew up listening to Ultimate Fakebook and when we formed the label, this was one of the first releases I wanted to do.

All the Kickstarter thing funding is doing is taking a little of the risk out of it. We turned it into an extended pre-order..Vinyl Collective does nearly the same thing...doing a pre-order 2 months out. But once again, we are taking the risk out.

You pledge(back) $19(or more) you get the vinyl first when it is released, plus you get an exclusive stickers and poster.

If we don't hit our goal amount, the record doesn't get pressed, and no one is charged anything and it's like nothing ever happened.

If we do reach our goal amount, then everyone is happy, those backers get a record, including their selected rewards.

What is there to complain about? I don't think ripping Geekrawker a new one is warranted.

Are you willing to risk $2500 of your own money in this economy? Or would you rather put your money on a sure bet that if you don't reach it, you're not out? It's common sense here.

With that said, we really want to thank all of our awesome backers so far. We have 18 days left on Kickstater and $1500 to go. This is really going to a great album release and I hope we can reach our goal. http://kck.st/9C1yzh

Alsom if you haven't checked out Ultimate Fakebook's winter tour dates, you can do so here: www.rocketheartrecords.com/ufb

Yes, releasing records is taking a risk. The point of what we are trying to do is release music on a format that we all like...vinyl. Needless to say, people don't get into the music business for the money, unless you're Justin Bieber or Lady Gaga.

I grew up listening to Ultimate Fakebook and when we formed the label, this was one of the first releases I wanted to do.

All the Kickstarter thing funding is doing is taking a little of the risk out of it. We turned it into an extended pre-order..Vinyl Collective does nearly the same thing...doing a pre-order 2 months out. But once again, we are taking the risk out.

You pledge(back) $19(or more) you get the vinyl first when it is released, plus you get an exclusive stickers and poster.

If we don't hit our goal amount, the record doesn't get pressed, and no one is charged anything and it's like nothing ever happened.

If we do reach our goal amount, then everyone is happy, those backers get a record, including their selected rewards.

What is there to complain about? I don't think ripping Geekrawker a new one is warranted.

Are you willing to risk $2500 of your own money in this economy? Or would you rather put your money on a sure bet that if you don't reach it, you're not out? It's common sense here.

With that said, we really want to thank all of our awesome backers so far. We have 18 days left on Kickstater and $1500 to go. This is really going to a great album release and I hope we can reach our goal. http://kck.st/9C1yzh

Alsom if you haven't checked out Ultimate Fakebook's winter tour dates, you can do so here: www.rocketheartrecords.com/ufb

You know what? I'm not. But there are tons of people out there who do. Lots of them on this board. One of them is barely fucking out of high school and he put a shit ton of his own money into getting Tigers Jaw's first album pressed. And I don't think you'll find too many people here who are stoked about VC's two month out pre-orders but because they know those records are actually coming out they'll pick them up. Saying "I love this album so much that I'll put it out... as long as it isn't a risk" is indicative of the lack of real passion that's plaguing music right now.

Passion by committee isn't passion.

Pledging 19 dollars for an UF record, one I like, and getting stickers and shit for the privilege of helping you not go into debt is bullshit. A sticker isn't an excuse to charge someone more than a product is worth to off set your risk. It's something lots of labels who actually believe in what they're releasing just throw in as a way of saying thanks for supporting what we put out.

We haven't had the money to put out a new record in years, because sometimes, when you run a label, it's not easy to put out a record.

I don't like this Kickstarter thing for record labels, it's lazy. And seriously, who cares about stickers and/or posters. No one. That shouldn't be a selling point.

Here's what you should do, to make it less ridiculous. The day your Kickstarter ends, you should fund the difference yourselves. That's what credit cards are for. The records get pressed, and you actually did get some help out of the whole deal, which cuts down on the risk a bit.

Every record PopKid ever put out was funded on credit cards, including the Ultimate Fakebook 7" we put out. I would like to see this LP happen, and I really like the band. But the begging for money via Kickstarter thing just rubs me the wrong way. Maybe I'm just old.

I'm not seeing the point here, and getting into an internet debate is pointless....

We are not over pricing the album, sticker price is going to be $15 once we get it, plus $4 shipping. Then we are throwing in the posters and what not, so all in all asking $19 i don't think is bad.... The red vinyl is $20 because we wanted to give people the option of buying what color they wanted and Kickstarter does not allow you to have two packages the same price.....

I like the idea of when the Kickstarter runs out to fund the rest yourself, only issue is the program is an all or nothing thing if we fall short of the goal nothing happens, meaning we don't get any of the funding.

I guess the way Colby and I are looking at it is we really wanna do this, UFB wants to do it, w/o them touring, we needed a way to raise some funds. If this does not work, nobody is charged, no harm, and i guess it was not the right time to do a UFB release.

Once again thanks to everybody that has helped thus far!!!

Yes I am willing to put my money where my mouth is...and yes I pour thousands of dollars of my own money into my label every year, most of which I don't make a return on. So I guess I'm the fool in this equation.

also, if you think charging $19-20 per copy of this record is a fair price, you're wrong.

$15ppd, maybe would make more sense...but you'd have I'd guess 20-30% more orders/pledges/whatever if there was a lower cost of $15 and under.

It's a single LP right? Your unit cost has to be under $5 after production costs, especially since you're doing so many copies on black vinyl, or at MOST hovering right at $5. Otherwise you're just doing this all wrong, you took over the label so there shouldn't be licensing fees. The record probably needed to be remastered for vinyl which shouldn't add a lot to the unit costs...so I'm lost trying to figure out how you're planning this and think that $15 per unit cost is the logical price point.

You need to check the How to Press a Record Thread (more up to date version is here: http://undercomm.org/blog/?page_id=37) for ideas to cut costs. You're simply overcharging for this record. If you and the band wanted to put this out so badly, the band could have bank rolled it by playing a few hometown shows and donating the money to this project to, if nothing else, put the down payment to get the ball rolling.

I think it's counter-productive to discuss pressing a record for a band that was marginally popular a decade ago, who's trying to play the reunion game and have people get renewed interested in them again and then when the kickstarter thing fails, they fall flat on their face...which that outcome is a very likely possibility... doesn't seem like a wise decision.

...but then again I try to avoid advance pre-order sales before product is in hand as much as possible.

I don't think the whole plan is for everybody to shit on your parade here dudes, just that maybe you should have considered that "in this economy" a lot of people don't have $20 to buy a record for nostalgic purposes, so while you're shockingly responding to the idea that maybe you should have coughed up the $2500* on your own, maybe you need to look at the economic impact on the other side of the transaction and ask yourself if you'd pay $20 for a record like this.

I don't have anything against you or this band, the guys in the band were actually really nice people back in the day, I'm sure you're all in this for the right reasons.

*save yourself the few hundred dollars, most people buying this aren't 14 year olds, and don't need a sticker and a poster...I'm sure the people that want this record would much more greatly appreciate a $1 or $2 less unit cost then also be paying a premium cost to also cover the expense of the poster, sticker printing costs.

edit: grammar and clarity

I like the idea of when the Kickstarter runs out to fund the rest yourself, only issue is the program is an all or nothing thing if we fall short of the goal nothing happens, meaning we don't get any of the funding.

Which is why you should fund the rest of it through Kickstarter. Donate the remainder yourselves. Time to man up.

Also, I agree with Justin. We lost our shirt on every single record we put out. but I'm very proud of our releases. That's what doing a label is all about. In any economy.

Thanks for everyones input! All has been noted and hopefully we won't have to go through a Kickstarter in the future!

I'm glad no one else is using Kickstarter to fund their vinyl project: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/search?term=vinyl

Oh good, there is a whole community of assholes out there!

And yes, I have put a couple hundred grand into releasing records over my lifetime. I work at a corporate restaurant, and make shit money. But I save it and work hard and bust my ass to be able to do something I am passionate about. No different than just about every other label on here.

Your "project" is a slap in the face to every hard working band/label/consumer. If your not passionate enough about a release to spend your own money on it, you have no business trying to capitalize on the backs off this bands fans.

I have a hard time even responding coherantly to this shit, without getting mad.

Justin summed it up very well, and very politely above, and I believe he speaks for most of us.

Thanks for everyones input! All has been noted and hopefully we won't have to go through a Kickstarter in the future!

I'm glad no one else is using Kickstarter to fund their vinyl project: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/search?term=vinyl

If there is lots of something it must be a good idea!

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090624114739AAgsZ2S