PO: The Republic Of Wolves • Varuna

[image]

Spinning it right now and it sounds pretty good. a bit on the quiet side but everything is separated nicely in the mix so it isn't too noticeable. The record itself seems fairly thick, seems like a 140g to me but i don't have a scale so i can't be for sure. My record also has a little black streak on the B side.

• 2 years later...
I heard about their new album a week or two ago so busted this out tonight.

Are they writing new material?  That's fantastic news that I was completely unaware of.  Rad.

I completely echo the sentiments of everyone who insists that this band is criminally underrated.  I think they may have left a bad taste in the mouth of many potential listeners, when His Old Branches was deceptively labeled as a Daisy leak in 2009.  I can imagine a lot of narrow-minded listeners thinking something akin to "The Republic of Wolves?  I think I've heard of them before.  They were that shitty Brand New ripoff band, right?"  It was a bold move, but they've really become their own band over the years.

It's tough to say whether that was the band's intentional agenda, for certain.  But you've got to admit that it was great propaganda.  I highly doubt that a random fan became smitten over His Old Branches, and decided to "share the love" by masking the EP as a Daisy leak during peak anticipation.  It's plausible that someone, somewhere (though probably /mu/) assumed that it'd be a good troll attempt... but if that were the case, why upload a quality release with similar vocal styles to Brand New?  Why not bundle up 11 Rick Astley MP3s and change their ID tags?  I strongly suspect it was the band, or someone trying hard to promote them.  "Oh, you're looking for the new Brand New?  Try this to tide you over for now."