Ask a pressing plant employee

Right now, you guys are the most expensive plant out there behind RTI. I've been dying to check you guys out, but have a hard time justifying the dramatic increase in cost's compared to our current plant.

Any plans on possibly dropping things to a bit more competitive edge? I know both me and a lot of other labels I have spoken with have the same concerns. It's always awesome to check out a new place, especially a owner operated place, but it's also extremely risky from a label perspective when we want to deviate from our current, trusted plants to try out the new guy on the block.

Any plans on possibly price matching or beating labels current preffered plant rates, in order to drum up some new label business?

This is not meant as crap talk in the least, I have heard nothing but excellent things about you guys, but the pricing makes it a tough sell for those of us who have been using the same plant for a long time.

I'm in Chicago and I'd easily move all my work to you, just, if nothing else, to have a more local plant, so I'd be interested in discussing this off the board as well if you didn't feel comfortable doing this exchange on a mesageboard. But yeah everyone speaks very highly of your work.

do you do in-house plating or is that aspect outsourced to Mastercraft?

Same here, and my apologies for possibly sounding rude, or blunt.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in Chicago and I'd easily move all my work to you, just, if nothing else, to have a more local plant, so I'd be interested in discussing this off the board as well if you didn't feel comfortable doing this exchange on a mesageboard. But yeah everyone speaks very highly of your work.

Mastercraft.

How long does it take to set up and clean up a job? Do you fill up a hopper with a vinyl color and then press all of your current orders that want that color continuously instead of cleaning the press after every job?

man i wish we had presses specifically for certain colors, but we don't. we do a thorough clean out of the machine as many times as the client has paid for. if they have four color variants but only pay for one transition, we'll do the clean-out for the color they specify or whatever makes the most sense. it's hardest to make a clean white or clear record, but easy to transition out of that. whenever you see a record with what looks like a peacock feather or parabola of another color in it, that's from a little bit of the last color still being in the nozzle of the machine. those marks can stick around for hundreds of records.

Mastercraft.

we're looking into getting a local partner to get into the plating, as a lot of issues we have seem to happen sometime between getting the lacquer cut and getting the stampers to us. we have our own local guy with a beautiful, newly restored lathe and the minute we switched to him as our go-to guy a lot of issues we used to have our gone. i really have my fingers crossed for some non-plant competitors to mastercraft to show up.

How long does it take to set up and clean up a job? Do you fill up a hopper with a vinyl color and then press all of your current orders that want that color continuously instead of cleaning the press after every job?

man i wish we had presses specifically for certain colors, but we don't. we do a thorough clean out of the machine as many times as the client has paid for. if they have four color variants but only pay for one transition, we'll do the clean-out for the color they specify or whatever makes the most sense. it's hardest to make a clean white or clear record, but easy to transition out of that. whenever you see a record with what looks like a peacock feather or parabola of another color in it, that's from a little bit of the last color still being in the nozzle of the machine. those marks can stick around for hundreds of records.

So that's what that is...

oh but for transition between colors, a full clean-out of the machine can take anywhere from 45 minutes to a couple hours, depending on how finicky the machine is being.

Name a few records that you liked that you've done!

the one client we have that always impresses me is st. ives records. they only do really small runs and they go as inexpensive as possible (100% recycled material, they screen their own covers, etc, etc) and they seem to get the biggest ROI of any of our clients, plus they stuff they put out is just consistently fascinating. i was particularly impressed by the new viktor sjorberg record.

Wow! I've been waiting for this kind of thread for so long! Thanks for the amazing info!

- Do you have a few unique pieces that you made for yourself? (you don't really have to respond to that one if it's not safe)

- I heard that molten vinyl releases a very toxic substance in the air. Do you wear masks or the air is adequate?

Right now, you guys are the most expensive plant out there behind RTI. I've been dying to check you guys out, but have a hard time justifying the dramatic increase in cost's compared to our current plant.

Any plans on possibly dropping things to a bit more competitive edge? I know both me and a lot of other labels I have spoken with have the same concerns. It's always awesome to check out a new place, especially a owner operated place, but it's also extremely risky from a label perspective when we want to deviate from our current, trusted plants to try out the new guy on the block.

Any plans on possibly price matching or beating labels current preffered plant rates, in order to drum up some new label business?

This is not meant as crap talk in the least, I have heard nothing but excellent things about you guys, but the pricing makes it a tough sell for those of us who have been using the same plant for a long time.

I take that striked out part back, that sounded rude, and after thinking a bit, it is probably not absolutely correct, but it is up there..

As thieves mentioned, they do the whole "one-stop shop" thing, printing covers, download codes, etc. all in-house. However, tey have absolutely no problem with a customer not using one of those services and will subtract from a quote accordingly. For example, I have a 7-inch by a band called Heks Orkest at Gotta Groove right now, and we had it mastered by Salt in NYC (who also cut lacquers). Matt at GGR had no issue subtracting the cost of that from the final total (and I actually ended up saving something like $30).

But yeah, anyone with pricing questions should definitely email Matt at [email protected]—dude is always on top of his email, and is super-friendly to work with. I'm definitely a Gotta Groove customer for life, it feels great to support local business!

Wow! I've been waiting for this kind of thread for so long! Thanks for the amazing info!

- Do you have a few unique pieces that you made for yourself? (you don't really have to respond to that one if it's not safe)

- I heard that molten vinyl releases a very toxic substance in the air. Do you wear masks or the air is adequate?

It would take a lot of effort/time to make something special/weird so no, anything I might have from the plant is pretty standard, although happy mistakes happen somewhat often.

the vinyl is only toxic if it burns. at a molten, but not burning state, it's perfectly safe. we do have some intense ventilation in place for those rare instances when vinyl ends up burning.

I take that striked out part back, that sounded rude, and after thinking a bit, it is probably not absolutely correct, but it is up there..

As thieves mentioned, they do the whole "one-stop shop" thing, printing covers, download codes, etc. all in-house. However, tey have absolutely no problem with a customer not using one of those services and will subtract from a quote accordingly. For example, I have a 7-inch by a band called Heks Orkest at Gotta Groove right now, and we had it mastered by Salt in NYC (who also cut lacquers). Matt at GGR had no issue subtracting the cost of that from the final total (and I actually ended up saving something like $30).

But yeah, anyone with pricing questions should definitely email Matt at [email protected]—dude is always on top of his email, and is super-friendly to work with. I'm definitely a Gotta Groove customer for life, it feels great to support local business!

Did you just sort of announce one of the 2 new releases YCR is doing?