new ebay fees - good/bad????

Just thought I would pass this along, you probably got it if you sell anything on ebay, but who knows. They are updating a bunch of the listing prices, but also raising the final value fee by 3.5%. Also changing some of the feedback rules, like negative feedback over a year old gets removed...

Check the new rates here: http://pages.ebay.com/sell/update08/basic/index.html?ov=004KO

Feedback changes here: http://pages.ebay.com/sell/update08/rewards/index.html?ov=004KO

Some of this stuff is super cool, some of it is lame as hell. I'm kind of bummed on the rate increase on final values. So when I'm trying to move a ton of my vinyl, I'm getting even more raped than I was before.

What does everyone think? This stuff doesn't take effect until the 20th of Feb. by the way.

Guest nickman

If you list 100 items with a starting and ending price of $9 with a 50 percent sell-through rate (50 items out of 100 actually sell), it would cost you a total of $63.63 in fees under the old structure and a total of $74.38 under the new structure. This is a fee increase of 17 percent.

$9 starting and ending price with 50% sell through, with gallery:

Old fees: $98.63, new fees: $74.38: A decrease by 25%

$9 starting price with $35 ending price with 50% sell through, with gallery:

Old fees: $156.75, new fees: $162: An increase of 3.35%.

as a seller, i reaaaally dont like the fact that buyers can only receive positive feedback now. if im reading this correctly-- talk about empowering deadbeat bidders. ebay will likely make more money off the rate decrease off listing fees/increase on final value fees since a lot of auctions start low and end high--thus giving them a bigger percentage. plus, if you follow that logic--the listing fees are reduced minimally (ie 5 cents on a 20 cent listing) so theres really not much of a difference here. lots of spinning going on here id say on their part.

how would anyone think this could possibly be good? they are upping the fees with a 60% increase, it used to be about 5 cents per dollar, now its almost 9 cents per dollar.

and they disguise a very SIGNIFICANT fee hike, by claiming they are lowering fees, and listening to their customers, and lowerin ght einsertion fees by a whopping 5 cents. (which of course will be completely negated if you sell an item for at least 2 dollars)

as a seller, i reaaaally dont like the fact that buyers can only receive positive feedback now. if im reading this correctly-- talk about empowering deadbeat bidders.

This worries me as well...

They certainly disguised this well, cause when I got the email yesturday and skimmed thru it, it sounded too good to be true. After further reading, it is.

buyers only recieving posi's wont really increase deadbeat bidders, since there will be more strict rules against deadbeat bidders, and anyone who doesnt follow through wont be on ebay for long.

The way it stands now is that an ebayer gets 3 non paying bidder disputes before being removed from ebay. but it always irks me that people have 6 or 7 negatives from sellers saying they never paid, but they are still on ebay. why? cause people are too lazy to file a claim against the buyer.

negative feedback is pointless anyway. leaving a negative for a deadbeat buyer does no good anyway.

but the way it will work in the future, is that instead of leaving a relatively pointless negative, if the buyer doesnt pay, there will actually be consequences, resulting in their removal from ebay, which is much more effective than a negative feedback.