Racism and Stupidity are alive and well!

jhulud

Earlier tonight my brother and I went to a bar & grill which we frequent.

As the server approached our table, he took it upon himself to comment to us, "I hate fuckin' foreigners".

This was right after a large group of people of Mexican or Central American origin got a table in his section.

Needless to say, we did not leave that piece of shit a tip.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest falloutcollapse

That is shitty. I hear remarks like this all the time, especially in my school environment. People will always be ignorant and stupid, and the only way we can slowly change this is by continuing to be a positive influence and keep being as open-minded as possible. I try to live my life without any generalization, and I'm glad people on here are so understanding and compassionate towards others that are different...I just wish it could translate out of these boards and more into real life more often.

What bothered us the most is that we don't look like foreigners whatsoever...(if you've seen my pic in the 'Pic of yourself' thread you know)...so this moron thought it was cool to say that shit in front of us.

It goes to show that you never know where someone is from just based on appearance.

My brother and I are both Latinos...btw...

I don't know if I would call that a racist comment. I can understand being frustrated trying to take orders and serve a table when they don't speak the language (if that's the case). If he said "I hate fuckin' [insert racial slur]" then I would call it racist. Foreigners really isn't a race.

Don't get me wrong, I agree racism and stupidity is alive and well, I just don't really see it in this event.

You have a point kurtz...but you just don't blurt that kind of shit to a complete stranger at a table you're serving. It's shitty professionalism in the food-service industry. My brother is a chef and has worked in restaurants so he knows the deal.

As a sidenote, when I walked by the table of foreigners in question, they were all speaking perfect English.

You have a point kurtz...but you just don't blurt that kind of shit to a complete stranger at a table you're serving. It's shitty professionalism in the food-service industry. My brother is a chef and has worked in restaurants so he knows the deal.

As a sidenote, when I walked by the table of foreigners in question, they were all speaking perfect English.

Agreed. The guy is probably a douche.

I see it. The guy was obviously asuming he was "safe" in the company of white folk and could make a comment like that. He made an asshole comment thinking he could get away with it. No, "foreigners" isn't a race, but saying you hate them is an ignorant generalization and, in my opinion, would be just as bad as saying "I hate Mexicans" or "I hate Jews." However, I would've bought the guy a beer if he said "I hate euro-trash".....I kid, I kid.

I don't know if I would call that a racist comment. I can understand being frustrated trying to take orders and serve a table when they don't speak the language (if that's the case). If he said "I hate fuckin' [insert racial slur]" then I would call it racist. Foreigners really isn't a race.

Don't get me wrong, I agree racism and stupidity is alive and well, I just don't really see it in this event.

Methinks the word we're looking for is "xenophobia"

Or just "ignorance."

That works, too.

That reminds me of a pretty funny experience I had at work.

I work in a supermarket, where I am responsible for those stupid self-checkout U-Scan things. They work in both English and Spanish. My city does, in fact, have a decent-sized Spanish speaking population.

A guy, probably in his 60s or early 70s, randomly came up to me after checking out and started screaming at me that we shouldn't have an option for Spanish on the screen.

"THOSE BASTARDS NEED TO LEARN TO SPEAK ENGLISH!"

I was not sure to which bastards he was referring, though a great Mexican place had just recently opened next door. He was carrying on about it, and I responded to all the shit he said in Spanish until he got pissed and yelled at someone else.

I'm going to go out on a limb and probably get smited for what I'm about to say.

I think that if you come to the United States and expect to be treated like everyone else you should learn to speak English. I'm sorry, I didn't come to your country seeking a better life and expect you to conform to my language requirements. I understand that people are trying to hang onto their culture but if you want to get ahead in this one you better learn to communicate.

I'm going to go out on a limb and probably get smited for what I'm about to say.

I think that if you come to the United States and expect to be treated like everyone else you should learn to speak English. I'm sorry, I didn't come to your country seeking a better life and expect you to conform to my language requirements. I understand that people are trying to hang onto their culture but if you want to get ahead in this one you better learn to communicate.

okay, but before I decide whether I'm going to smite you for having an opinion different than my own (THE HORROR!), answer me this :

Have you ever felt the need to yell at a total stranger who was doing their job because of it?

The idea of the spanish option on atms, self chekout things, etc. is a nice idea, but if someone reaaaaally can't buy groceries or take out money without a spanish option there is something wrong. How did they start a band account to begin with? The case is normally that it's just easier to do those sort of things in native languages. Anyways. I have zero issues with people speaking foreign languages in public and having difficulty with the english language (I work at a hotel so this comes up alot) just as long as there is SOME attempt made at understanding (which is easier than speaking) english.

Two old white guys were at the bar at work a couple weeks ago. One made a comment about how the bar was slow to the other one. To which he replied "at least there aren't any niggers in here, there was a whole bunch earlier". I was shocked. I can't believe words like that still make it through someones brain and out of their mouth. I was very tempted to make him leave afterwards.

Most racism I see nowadays is provoked in one way or another.

My school is trashed, due to certain people who think it proves their "gangstaness". The vending machines are broken into almost weekly. And every time they've caught the perps, it's been foreigners. Hell, I don't even feel completely safe leaving my car in the school parking lot during classes. (Twice have the cars beside me been broken into, both by foreigners)

And I watch the local news a lot. I can't remember the last time I heard them describing a crime suspect as a "white". Murders, robberies, carjackings, rape, none of them. If I had to guess, I'd say crimes commited by foreigners here far outnumber those commited by non foreigners. Their negative contributions are much more abundant then their positive ones.

Then I see rallys on my way to work, with people who want free in-state college tuition for illegal immigrants... I'm sorry, but give me a fucking break. If they want to go to school, they can pay like the rest of us.

The problem with immigration these days is that people don't immigrate to the U.S. to be Americans, they come to take their share, and leave.

I'm not saying I hate people so to say, and I don't condone racism, but I can see where some people get their racist ideas from.

south florida is a huge melting pot ya know? but honestly man I love it, ive learned so much about different cultures , there are a lot of ignorant people here for sure, but they need to start opening their minds, they might learn something, but fuck em man, I wouldnt have south florida any other way

jhulud you are a jump, hop and a skip away fro me, join me and melvinscam for a 1 dollar pabsts sometime , we have a lot of vinyl talk haha

Most racism I see nowadays is provoked in one way or another.

My school is trashed, due to certain people who think it proves their "gangstaness". The vending machines are broken into almost weekly. And every time they've caught the perps, it's been foreigners. Hell, I don't even feel completely safe leaving my car in the school parking lot during classes. (Twice have the cars beside me been broken into, both by foreigners)

And I watch the local news a lot. I can't remember the last time I heard them describing a crime suspect as a "white". Murders, robberies, carjackings, rape, none of them. If I had to guess, I'd say crimes commited by foreigners here far outnumber those commited by non foreigners. Their negative contributions are much more abundant then their positive ones.

Okay, a couple of things. One, minority =/= foreigner. I think what you're trying to say is that most crimes in your area are committed by people who are racial/ethnic minorities.

As for that, there's a couple things to consider: First, media reporting isn't without its own bias. Racial minorities are a marked category. Second, and probably way more importantly, you've got to consider economic status. A hugely disproportionate amount of racial/ethnic minorities are of low economic status. Why would you break into someone's car and steal their CDs if you have your own? It's not worth the risk. Economics plays a big huge role in how safe communities are, and minority communities are often economically disadvantaged. Why? Probably something to do with racism.

I'm not saying you're totally wrong and out of left field, just trying to point out that its a really complex issue.