Vanilla Visa gift cards

So for Christmas, I received a vanilla visa gift card as a gift. The other day while at a record store, I attempted to use it while making a purchase. The card came up declined, which struck me as weird since I had just got it. So I figured maybe it was one of those cards that you need to activate over the phone or online when you get it.

I tried calling the 1-800 number on the card first. After entering all the information, their system stated they did not recognize the card. I tried again with the same results. So I went home to try to do it online via their website. Same thing. At this point i'm beginning to get a little frustrated. I call the number again to try to speak to customer service. They disconnected me from the call as soon as I reached the option to speak to someone.

If you want to read some horror stories, google Vanilla Visa Problems. Apparently this company has been running their card scam for a few years now and nobody has been able to stop them. So many people are stuck in the same boat, receiving cards and not being able to use them. Also, if this wasn't even more ridiculous...they charge you a monthly deduction of $2.50 from the amount on the card. So pretty much the relative that gave me the card tossed away $25 on a gift card I'll never be able to use.

I've never had a problem with these. You have to go to Vanillamastercard.com, type your card info and submit. Then click on register your card (or activate), type your postal code, click submit and it should work fine.

Nah none of that works. After you enter the information it comes up as system error...and that is when you try to check the balance or check the card history. As I said the same thing also happens when you attempt to do it over the phone. This is the first time I have had an issue with a gift card, but apparently vanilla visa cards are known for their problems.

I've never had a problem with these. You have to go to Vanillamastercard.com, type your card info and submit. Then click on register your card (or activate), type your postal code, click submit and it should work fine.

Nah none of that works. After you enter the information it comes up as system error...and that is when you try to check the balance or check the card history. As I said the same thing also happens when you attempt to do it over the phone. This is the first time I have had an issue with a gift card, but apparently vanilla visa cards are known for their problems.

I use these alot and never had a problem. I'm guessing that the store your aunt got it at didn't scan the card which will activate it. So when you type you card info on the website do you get your balance?

Never had a problem with them.

Depending on where the person bought it they should have a receipt with the purchase on it and then a secondary gift receipt if there are any problems. Most stores will not touch a return on gift cards but if their receipt doesn't show that card on it it is entirely possible the clerk never scanned it and chances are the person had bought other things so they never noticed the difference.

Did you have enough money on the card to cover the entire purchase? Every card does this. The person at the register needs to divide up your bill and put $25 on the gift card, and the rest you pay, or else it shows up declined.

Am I making sense?

this.

a cashier usually has to manually enter the amount to charge on a visa gift card if the total amount due is more than is on the card, otherwise it'll decline. thats weird that the balance isn't showing up online though...

The thing I hate most about these is that they can't be exhausted at restaurants, as when your card is run, I believe the system automatically runs it for the total+20%, as to make sure there's funds there for a hypothetical tip. Can't even count how many restaurants I've been at where they insisted that my card had no balance. Very frustrating.

If your card is truly fucked when it shouldn't, try contacting one of your local news channel's investigative teams. I know they seem incredibly cheesy, but they definitely get results.