My retirement plan: System Skateboarding

[image]

So I retired as a journalist. Please read my final reviews in the next issue of Alternative Press (Darkest Hour and The Skull Defekts) and my final features in the next issue of ALARM (XBXRX and Nathan Bell).

Now I'm opening a skate shop called System Skateboarding. We'll be open in February. If you live in Colorado please come by and say hello.

Our website is www.systemskateboarding.com. You can also "like" us on Facebook from there.

Here's (hopefully) our first team rider, Al Brunelle skating the Lafayette, CO skatepark. That piece of granite is about an inch wider than a skateboard.

[image]

Anyway, check it all out and thanks to everyone who supported me in my old career.

O

Can I buy your Rolodex?

I don't have one, but I do know everybody in the music biz so if you need some help let me know. I know of at least a half dozen labels that have a note under my name in the computer that says something to the effect of "give him whatever he wants."

A word of advice to anyone who is going into music journalism: it's a lot of fun and a lot of hard work. But that's the same for everyone in the biz including publicists, bands, etc. SO, don't ever abuse your position. You can get a lot of cool things for free (I have never payed to get into a show as far back as I can remember, or for music other than vinyl). But giving all your friends music, getting them into shows for no good reason, getting more credentials than you need to do your job just to look cool -- all that gay shit -- is just lame. I'm not saying it will ruin your career, but people will hate you and that's just not a good situation. Take what you do seriously, be a professional and it will pay off I promise.

Are you going to sell snowboards as well? That would seem like a good thing to do if you're in Denver.

Next year hopefully. I don't know enough about it to make that move without hiring someone to run that part of the shop, and I need to make a little dough before I can hire anyone. The weird part is snowboard orders for next year are pretty much due now, so I'm not sure how to handle that. We'll see.

I hope the entrance of the store has a "no mountain lions allowed" sign in the front.

Dude, I saw one running across a road the other night. That bitch was so fast. Then it looked at me (well, toward me) and it's eyes were all green and scary. I'm pretty much terrified that it was a couple blocks from my house.