RX Bandits Test Press Photos + VC Discount

If the "three-packs" are selling and the individual copies aren't, then you are pressing collector's items, and not records for people who like music.

Why not just own it?

You know the kidz love their colored vinylz. ;)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was the band supportive of the release?

A previous post from Enjoy the Ride which says... no.

Hey all

I am owner of ETR which im sure you all know...I had months of negations with Richard Reines regarding the licensing of 6 drive thru records releases. I had emailed both their management regarding the manner back in the early summer once we got the contracts signed as well as emailing and tweeting at steve choi letting them know I was doing this and trying to get the involved. I also facebook friended both steve and matt from the band along with messages saying who I was and why I was contacting them. After getting no response other than a friend accept from steve I then emailed him and asked a mutual friend to touch base with him about this. our mutual friend then told me that steve responded to him saying that "he saw my email and knows of my existence and is trying to get ahold of the contract". If anyone ever responded directly to me then I would have been happy from day one to send you a copy of the contact. In all honesty I am a huge fan of the band and an honored to be able to release this album on vinyl which is also a huge passion of mine. This is part of a series entitled "Music from the underground: A decade in review" which are a series of the best albums from the last decade that has yet to see a vinyl release. Each album in the series includes "look back liner notes" which is basically just a paragraph or two from one of the band members sharing their experience both recording that given album and/or what the time period in general was like for that respective band. I really wanted to band to take part in that but as of now they didnt seem interested. ....... All that being said, I got an email from their management last night along with 5 separate hate emails(calling me a corporate fat cat and accusing me of stealing from the bandits when im in reality thousands in debt still trying to recoup on my musical endeavors) from fans calling me scum bag when i took all the proper steps and legal issues to get this done, not to mention going above and beyond by trying to get in touch with their management and band members with no luck(management has since said they saw the email and thought i was asking them to license it, not that i already had...which is their own fault for not reading my email well enough. Regardless their management totally understands i did nothing wrong and more so have a major issue with DTR for taking money from me to make the records when they have yet to pay rx bandits a dime for anything(which is news to me). We are in the process or working out a solution that works for everyone which I will inform everyone once we come to a conclusion but please understand that i did nothing wrong and simply caught in the middle of a decade long feud/argument...that being said i know dozens of people on here have asked for this album to be pressed on vinyl which is why i went ahead and spend dozens of hours in contract negotiations and thousands of dollars getting this pressed so i really dont feel its fair to look down upon me or my company for this, let alone boycott the release. If anyone has any additional questions or comments please email or pm me...Thanks for all your time

You know, this girl wouldn't return my phone calls. I kept calling her, sending her letters, and sending her emails saying that I wanted to come over to her house. She never responded. One of my friends told me that she got my messages.

So I just went over to her house. I mean, she never told me not to.

...what happened next? ;)

You know, this girl wouldn't return my phone calls. I kept calling her, sending her letters, and sending her emails saying that I wanted to come over to her house. She never responded. One of my friends told me that she got my messages.

So I just went over to her house. I mean, she never told me not to.

Yes, but doing that is stalking and you can get arrested for it. Legally buying the rights to pressing a record is a heck of a lot different fool.

Yeah, it's not a perfect analogy.

Let's leave it at this: Pressing a record the band doesn't want you to press is a dick move.

As much as I agree, you're honestly wasting your time trying to convince these cats...all they care about is their complete variant collection.

Yeah, it's not a perfect analogy.

Let's leave it at this: Pressing a record the band doesn't want you to press is a dick move.

for the 100th time in the past 6 months, the band didnt have an issue with me pressing the record, they had an issue with richard making money off them which they will never see because he claims they have yet to recoup. Their manager and label both said they know I am a fan and a good guy and had the best intentions when pressing this but I got caught in the middle of a decade long argument between rxb and drive thru. Everyone needs to get their facts straight before slamming the pressing, myself or my label cause I have done nothing wrong in this matter. I actually went above and beyond to contact the two band members themselves, management, label etc.. All the other drive thru albums I am putting out(starting line & early November) both know about the upcoming releases and are behind them/excited. Both bands are actually writing up "look back liner notes" for the releases. Long story short, if you want to support the band and put money in their pocket then go to a show and buy some shit at their merch table. When MTS put out the blink albums and brand new, the bands didnt know about it until they were released or at least announced and he didnt get shit cause the bands didnt put out a public statement but in reality, did blink see any money from that...NO i doubt it, and those were much larger pressings than what Im doing. I at least attempted to get in touch with the bands months before announcing this but no one responded because their manager said "We didnt think you would be able to finalize the licensing from richard so i disregarded it"

Not to mention that by the time the band put out that statement and said they had an issue with richard, the pre order was already up and the pressing was already in the process of being made. Not my fault if i email the band and everyone with a business relationship with them without a response.

do you wake up in the morning and say... Today I will be an Ass!?

Who is a bigger ass?

(1) someone who puts out a band's record without the band's permission; or

(2) someone who states that (1) is not cool.

I guess the answer to that question will tell you quite a bit about where someone stands.

or

(3) someone who gets a boner being a "tough guy" through a plastic keyboard on an internet message board for vinyl records

Come off it. The fact stays the same that in the end, RXB doesn't own this album. However unfortunate it may be, Drive Thru has no obligation to give them any money for this. From what I understand, Ross and the band have come to an understanding, even if they aren't happy about Drive Thru licensing it.

do you wake up in the morning and say... Today I will be an Ass!?

Who is a bigger ass?

I guess the answer to that question will tell you quite a bit about where someone stands.

who is a bigger dumbass? will you ever realize and comprehend that you DON'T need the band's permission to do something like this. ONLY the permission of the person/entity that owns the rights to the material. in this case the label owned the rights, NOT the band yet. for a "lawyer" you really are quite dense and not well versed in something that falls into law domain. enjoy the ride did nothing wrong by pressing this. he did not break any laws and went about the entire process through the right channels. even if the band said yes, but the label said no, he wouldn't be able to press it.

Who is a bigger ass?

who is a bigger dumbass? will you ever realize and comprehend that you DON'T need the band's permission to do something like this. ONLY the permission of the person/entity that owns the rights to the material. in this case the label owned the rights, NOT the band yet. for a "lawyer" you really are quite dense and not well versed in something that falls into law domain. enjoy the ride did nothing wrong by pressing this. he did not break any laws and went about the entire process through the right channels. even if the band said yes, but the label said no, he wouldn't be able to press it.

This guy is super smart. Everyone learns the first day of law school that you can only be considered an ass if you break a law. DUH

Putting thousands of dollars on the line before even making a penny to be able to hear an album you like on vinyl & make it available to the public and it's not about the music? Anyone who puts that much money, time, and effort into making something that came out this nice deserves to at least break even and maybe make a little money in the process. I know for a fact that ETR is not rolling around in all the cash they made off test press sales. Working for months with Ross on this project, I first hand experienced his dedication to how nice the album would sound & look and while he was hoping to at least break even and make a little bit on top, he never once gloated about all the money he'd be making off the album once.

Backed I waited since around 2004 for this to get the vinyl treatment and I find myself falling in love with this record everytime I spin it. I would buy the test press in a second if I could afford it.