RX Bandits Test Press Photos + VC Discount

I don't think him licencing the record in and of itself was wrong at all. I actually think the band was being dickheads about it. How much money is there to be made from a 500 press licenced record anyway? Next to none, probably a loss.

But... I think the whole process of licencing records from other labels, paying them licencing fees so they can press a record that is already popular, and has been out for years is not at all a record label, more a person brokering someone elses product.

Selling your own test pressings for 75 bucks is also batshit insane. He could theoretically pay for the entire pressing by selling his test pressings.

You know test pressings cost about a buck a piece right? Nowdays a lot of labels just buy extra because they know it's an easy cash grab.

Seriously though, I can see licencing a record here and there, but to base an entire label around putting other labels cds on a different format and selling them sucks.

But yeah, I saw the bands reaction on facebook, they were being dicks, and the label can do whatever they want with their record if they own the masters and haven't recouped.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know test pressings cost about a buck a piece right? Nowdays a lot of labels just buy extra because they know it's an easy cash grab.

just to go off subject here, a label i went through wound up selling me a test press for the cost of the record $12 plus s/h. i was startled. and it was his last one too. totally good guy. i didnt expect it, but it was surprising.

This is all insane. I can't imagine putting out a record and not knowing the band at all. Shit, I can't imagine putting out a record and not sitting down to dinner with the band to talk it over.

I guess this is the new "licensing record label" era, but still. He might be in the right legally, and I'm sure his intentions were good, but at this point you're just a broker, not a record label.

do people even know that he has two bands on his label that i'm pretty sure enjoy the ride is the only label to release their material.

yeah one of those bands share a practice space with me. It's a shame that instead of spending more time finding cool new bands he's spending his time doing this garbage.

there can't be a future if all you do is spend cash on the past

nothing says "cool" like a 75 dollar test press. Then when asked about the price mentioning how it's "going to be worth 100 bux" later.

If your method of selling a record is to mention future value, then you're doing a shitty job.

in the end, who cares? it doesn't affect you in any way... i wouldn't pay $75 for a test press, but that's not to say huge fans of this record or the band wouldn't. there's no point in pissing and moaning about shit that doesn't really matter. he'll either sell them or he won't, and that's that.

i'm looking forward to his other releases, and if he can make some money on the side for himself by selling tests, then whatever--in my opinion, he deserves it. i think we take the whole process of releasing a record for granted sometimes.

I've always given em away randomly in orders. 75 bucks a pop though, I'll do a run of all test pressings and make a killing!

dude, i have to order that spears lp asap.. it's on my list of things to buy as from what i've heard i like a lot. and that's awesome you just randomly hand them out. i personally thought the price of the lp was a fair price knowing what the go for.

dave, need to send you old pics from the pink lincolns / go to hells shows. just so you can see them when PL were only middle aged. :P

nothing says "cool" like a 75 dollar test press. Then when asked about the price mentioning how it's "going to be worth 100 bux" later.

If your method of selling a record is to mention future value, then you're doing a shitty job.

yeah one of those bands share a practice space with me. It's a shame that instead of spending more time finding cool new bands he's spending his time doing this garbage.

there can't be a future if all you do is spend cash on the past

if not the past and not the future, WHEN?

in the end, who cares? it doesn't affect you in any way... i wouldn't pay $75 for a test press, but that's not to say huge fans of this record or the band wouldn't. there's no point in pissing and moaning about shit that doesn't really matter. he'll either sell them or he won't, and that's that.

i'm looking forward to his other releases, and if he can make some money on the side for himself by selling tests, then whatever--in my opinion, he deserves it. i think we take the whole process of releasing a record for granted sometimes.

Have you released a record? ???

Mike, that Spears record is killer...get on it!

I've always given em away randomly in orders. 75 bucks a pop though, I'll do a run of all test pressings and make a killing!

dude, i have to order that spears lp asap.. it's on my list of things to buy as from what i've heard i like a lot. and that's awesome you just randomly hand them out. i personally thought the price of the lp was a fair price knowing what the go for.

dave, need to send you old pics from the pink lincolns / go to hells shows. just so you can see them when PL were only middle aged. :P

Jeez, yeah that Spears album was expensive as all fuck to do. Probably the most expensive album I've ever done.

Chris and Sam are always really picky (understandably so) about the mixing and mastering, took about a year and multiple re-do's to get it exactly how they wanted it.

Yeah I have some live footage from... 93 or 94 in PA, it's an entire show, best quality live footage I've seen from them.

In all fairness though, Chris has looked old as hell, for like 20 years ;D At his age though he still works rough ass construction 6-7 days a week. Dude is a strong motherfucker, and doesn't slow down for shit. New Spears album is in the mixing stage I believe.

A lot of those 90's and even early to mid 2000's shows, he was straight up scary. Always looked like he was going fuck somebody up on stage, and has done it. Use to remind somewhat of GG's stage presence, minus the shit, and rape of course

First time I saw them, it kind of scared me, He kept looking like he was going to smash the mic in my face. And then after the show he was the nicest guy I've ever met.

Obviously a lot calmer now, but still acts like a lunatic on stage.

All of the test presses that were being sold to the public have officially sold out...I will be accepting trades on the rest of them if anyone is interested. I am looking for

Jimmy Eat World- Bleed American

The Format- Dog Problems

Red Hot chli peppers- one hot minute

John Mayer- Heavier things

Guns n Roses- Appetite for destruction(original rape cover)

Movielife- Jamestown 7in(orange with questions(old 97s cover on bside)

All of the test presses that were being sold to the public have officially sold out...I will be accepting trades on the rest of them if anyone is interested. I am looking for

Jimmy Eat World- Bleed American

The Format- Dog Problems

Red Hot chli peppers- one hot minute

John Mayer- Heavier things

Guns n Roses- Appetite for destruction(original rape cover)

Movielife- Jamestown 7in(orange with questions(old 97s cover on bside)

;D

All of the test presses that were being sold to the public have officially sold out...

really...

http://cgi.ebay.com/RX-Bandits-Progress-....item3f065 15a21

You do realize im attempting to sell these so I make enough money back in order to get the starting line ep's pressing into production. Im struggling for money and the fact that the bandits boycott the release months after it was already into production after they decided to ignore my emails opposed to saying "we arent cool with you doing this". Im in a shitty situation and people just hating isnt really helping. If you dont think the test presses are worth the price then simply dont buy it, other have and will continue to and it shouldnt bother nor effect you personally at all. Im trying to put out quality releases for those who are interested in the music im licensing. Its not that easy running a label especially when your dealing with drive thru records. And for those who have asked or care, both the starting line and early november know about their respective releases and both have had members get involved with color schemes of the records along with writing up some "look back liner notes" which will be screen printed and available with the collector 2 pack edition of the ep's.

As far as those who are bitching that they dont like labels gearing themselves towards re-issues and vinyl specifically. I signed a band over a year ago named Harvard who are fantastic and touring the country but the reality is that people dont buy music, their album actually leaked as circa survives new album before its release which led to over 200k free downloads of the album which helped a ton with gaining fans and exposure but not putting any money into my pocket which i have spent a small fortune pushing this band which included a debut album produced by Brian Mcternan(thrice,circa survive,hot water music,movielife). Its tough out there now a days and im just trying to make enough money to stay afloat an pursue my passion which is music and putting out quality releases be it original material or re-issues.