Yikes... (NHL Throat Slashing)

mediocore

seriously? i didnt BLAME the nhl for anything. blame wasn't even anywhere in my original post and i dont think theyre at fault anywhere. i simply asked why the league hasnt come up with a way to protect these guys from getting their throats slashed open on the ice. its not a matter of blame. its a matter of protection from injury.

I misread into what you were saying. It still sounds like blaming them to me, but you obviously know what you were trying to say.

It's sad to say this, but this seems like one of those things where the players' comfort and look is more important than preventing a couple injuries every 10 years or however (not that) often this occurs. It was a freak accident / occurrence. I would be surprised if anything was made mandatory, or actually even just made, for the NHL. Hopefully Zednik will be back playing soon, regardless.

the easiest way i can put it, since you brought up the everett injury, is that all nfl players wear helmets to help prevent the type of injury that occured to him. its not 100% preventive, but in general, it keeps players safe on the field and the helmet has drastically evolved. all i was suggesting was that, like all equipment athletes wear, is why hasnt the nhl come up with a piece of equipment to help prevent these types of injuries from happening. the nhl doesnt know or can control if some guy gets flipped up in the air and his skates are flying down above some guys head so theyre of course not at fault. but they would be the ones in the position of power to come up with something to help prevent an injury like this if, in the physicality of a game like hockey, a player goes flying through the air or theres a bunch of bodies near the goal line--much in the way that the nfl added facemasks to their helmets, for example, so a players face doesnt get smashed to pieces.

Guest scriptedrain
the writer of the second one brings up a good point. Should the game have been suspended or rescheduled?

I think neither. You see players knocked out or taken off on a stretcher, and the play always resumes. Whether a player twists an ankle or receives a concussion, the outcome of the game continues without their efforts. The players / coaches / fans don't know the severity of a player's injury (in some cases, what appears to be a small thing is season / career ending), and all people involved in professional sports understand that these things are a part of the game.

the writer of the second one brings up a good point. Should the game have been suspended or rescheduled?

From what I understand they were thinking about suspending it, but NHL officials couldn't be reached, so they asked the two teams what they wanted to do and both teams agreed on finishing the game.

You'll probably never see mandatory neck guards, however, I'm sure within the next few years visors will be mandatory. Most young players wear them anyways.

This is a freak accident that will rarely occur and many people relate it to the Everett incident, which is valid.

I was at the game last night, that was insanity. The entire crowd was horrified, and then after a few minutes of commotion,everyone sat in silence until the PA announcer told us he was stablized and on his way to the hospital. I guess he went into surgery at Buffalo General and is doing well, but that was incredibly scary.

I was at the game last night, that was insanity. The entire crowd was horrified, and then after a few minutes of commotion,everyone sat in silence until the PA announcer told us he was stablized and on his way to the hospital. I guess he went into surgery at Buffalo General and is doing well, but that was incredibly scary.

i probably would have left if i saw this in person. i cannot handle this kind of shit at all. i had a hard enough time reading an article and watching the video where i saw practically nothing.

i probably would have left if i saw this in person. i cannot handle this kind of shit at all. i had a hard enough time reading an article and watching the video where i saw practically nothing.

Blood doesn't bother me one bit, but the possibility of him dying in the hallway down to the lockerroom made me feel so terrible. There was a picture on TSN that was taken from the far corner right as he stood back up to skate toward the bench. First, the sheer horror in the faces of every member of the crowd behind him is awful, but the panicked look of near-death in his face is just too much.