Super Bowl XLV: Pittsburgh vs. Green Bay

i watched a bit of this but ended up going to bed after the first quarter. I've never really watched this sport before but how the fuck can it take 3.5 hours to play an hour's worth of actual game time?! jesus christ, no wonder some of these guys can be so fat and still play as a top professional sportsman with so much time doing nothing!

apart from that, highlights look good, i'm gonna try to get into this.

the amount of money made from TV advertisements in the superbowl is insane. its not just a game, its a media event. it has nothing to do with the players or the pace of the play on the field... barely any timeouts were taken by the teams, I think 4 of 6 by the steelers and I think the packers only used 1. but like you said, you dont watch the sport so you dont know what you're talking about.

Watching this game made me realize how much more I enjoy watching the World Cup.

"It's weird... people say they're not like apes. Now how do you explain football then?" - Mitch Hedberg.

RIP Mitch.

"I'm a heroine addict. I need to have sex with women who have saved someone's life."

i watched a bit of this but ended up going to bed after the first quarter. I've never really watched this sport before but how the fuck can it take 3.5 hours to play an hour's worth of actual game time?! jesus christ, no wonder some of these guys can be so fat and still play as a top professional sportsman with so much time doing nothing!

apart from that, highlights look good, i'm gonna try to get into this.

the amount of money made from TV advertisements in the superbowl is insane. its not just a game, its a media event. it has nothing to do with the players or the pace of the play on the field... barely any timeouts were taken by the teams, I think 4 of 6 by the steelers and I think the packers only used 1. but like you said, you dont watch the sport so you dont know what you're talking about.

I completely understand all that, i did really enjoy the occasion of it all, but that might be because i've never really bothered with it before. To me the World Cup final was far, far more exciting but i suppose i follow football closely so it would.

The continuous breaks in play are definitely going to take some getting used to for me, the tactics are awesome though and i can imagine if you understood everything about it then that's part of that game that becomes most impressive. I'd take football over this stuff any day but i might try to catch a few more of the games in the lead up to the final next time to see if i can get to understand it more.

the game itself was great (even though i dont like either team at all) and overall - i love the NFL. i grow tired of the media spectacle that get created around the super bowl though, so i dont necessarily disagree with you. everybody wants to get their hand in the bucket. the halftime show was embarrassing and the commercials were mostly weak, shoddy attempts at being funny (sans the darth vader one which was pretty great).

that said, most football games last 3 hrs anyway. the difference is that during the regular season and even the playoff games leading up to the super bowl - the focus is on football. not celebrities, half-time shows, commercials, 4 hr pre-game shows, etc.