Urban Outfitters Clearance (and Stealing Stuff)

so heres the 2 cents ill throw in for now.

the zumies at my mall recently had to wipe out their entire staff because their shrink was so bad. so heres an example of some mindless teenager thinking stealing a boobies bracelet isnt a problem- can affect the mindless teenager whos doing other work to not notice.

however, the store has absolutely nothing to prevent losses. no cameras (do any retail stores even do cameras anymore?) not even sensors, and probably the thing where you cant go beyond your front door.

but then theres also a good chance that its all internal, and everyone fucked themselves.

and still- i cant get a fucking call back for a job.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've worked retail since I was legally permitted to work, and I can tell you....

Stealing leads to people losing their jobs.

While the company may be faceless, If a certain percentage of merchandise from a store gets stolen, they point a finger at the only people they can, the employees.

And then they get fired because you somehow thought it was "right" to TAKE something that doesn't belong to YOU.

How do you guys not get that?

It has nothing to do with Christianity or religion at all.

This has to do with basic human morals.

The ability to tell right from wrong...

There is no justifying stealing, at least on this level...

Basic human morals?

And is Urban Outfitters thinking about basic human morals when they sell clothes made in third world countries?

Or when they contribute campaign re-election funds to former Repulican senator Rick Santorum?

Or when they choose to stock a women's tshirt that says "Eat Less" on it?

Is someone supposed to feel morally wrong for stealing from a company who doesn't seem to think about morals too much themselves?

you could have just said former senator...

It doesn't give him the right, but if he is given the opportunity, what's "right" isn't going to stop him. And if I were in this "hypothetical" broke dude's same situation, I might make the same decision.

Being the car owner, if I value what's mine it is my job not to provide that opportunity. Locking the doors, not leaving personal items in it, safely parking in well lit areas, etc. I'm not going to leave the car unlocked with the keys in it and expect the broke dude to keep walking because he doesn't have the right.

If Urban was so concerned with theft, they'd invest more in security systems and personnel. The truth is they make enough off the mark up on the rest of their stock, it's not financially viable to spend that money on security based on the percent of shrinkage.

Not adequately securing your property does not justify it's thief the same way a woman's clothing (or the lack thereof) justify her rape.

But at least we've worked our way back to stealing not being morally acceptable.

Well, i do know one thing. I haven't stolen from here. I don't think i'm a bad person because of what i said either. There's just different ways people feel about things.

Also i agree with them getting better security equipment and all. I mean seriously, you would think they would, especially it being urban outfitters.

I didn't say not securing it was justifying it's theft. I'm saying don't look for sympathy when it happens.

What I'm saying is that morality doesn't really have anything to do with it.

Do I believe that stealing an LP from UO makes someone a "bad person"? No. Of course not. One action does not make or break you as a person.

Would i feel bad if that same person got caught? Again, no. That's the risk involved with that action.

If given the opportunity would I consider stealing Tom Waits Small Change album from UO instead of paying $28 for it? Yes. Do I think that makes me "morally wrong"? No.

I didn't say not securing it was justifying it's theft. I'm saying don't look for sympathy when it happens.

What I'm saying is that morality doesn't really have anything to do with it.

Do I believe that stealing an LP from UO makes someone a "bad person"? No. Of course not. One action does not make or break you as a person.

Would i feel bad if that same person got caught? Again, no. That's the risk involved with that action.

If given the opportunity would I consider stealing Tom Waits Small Change album from UO instead of paying $28 for it? Yes. Do I think that makes me "morally wrong"? No.

Agreed

Guest errolwest
I'm okay with Gap and Urban Outfitters, but will never set foot in Hot Topic.

Thats ok, there's always www.hottopic.com :)

just looking at this homepage of this website made my head hurt in ways that i didnt even know were possible.

sometimes, you cant help but just imagine how easy it would be to steal the shirt with no sensor that youre trying on. it happens. from there its just a matter of "is it worth it?" how deep that answer goes is going to change in almost every case.

dont know why i didnt think of this before. but i actually got caught stealing at a shop&shop once. my ex has always been totally careless about stealing, and one night she just got the best of me. the two of us ran around the store for about a half hour, thinking no one would ever notice if we bought a couple things. until we got to the doors and felt someone grab us by the shoulders.

we were eventually let go. but the next morning i fucked up my car, took it as karma, and i dont think ive stolen anything since.

I said it once and will say it again. My point is irregardless of Urban Outfitters and their beliefs, supports, marketing, clothing choices, corporate ties, etc. My point is stealing is stealing and anyway you skin a cat it is still taking something that does not rightfully belong to you.

Your strict adherence to a naive black and white world is somewhat admirable.

Most societies have obvious standards and societal rules that people are expected to live by (laws are put into place to hopefully ensure these are not broken), do not kill, steal, rape, etc and going against these in any way is really indefensible.

Most societies have bigoted laws against gay marriage. The "most people do it" argument is weak.

That is maybe what was confusing me, the fact that people are attempting to defend stealing. It is like saying well it is ok to steal from someone who is wealthy and has multitudes of money, but not ok to steal from the poor. So I guess it helps everyone sleep at night because they are stealing from a company and not a little old lady who worked for her shit in life?

This isn't about stealing from "the rich," it's about stealing from UO. UO is a publicly held corporation. Publicly held corporations, by definition have no morals. They must do what will make the shareholders more money. Which is how you end up with death vs. safety measures and deciding which will cost more $$$.

That's not to say that I think stealing from UO is the right thing to do. But I don't think it's wrong because "stealing is always wrong." As stated above, the lackey making minimum wage may get blamed for the shrinkage.

It's just not an easy answer unless your unthinking system of morals directs you to the answer.

• 4 weeks later...

Checked out Urban Outfitters yesterday and saw that they have Joanna Newsom's (awesome) HAVE ONE ON ME reduced to $9.90 which is quite a discount from the retail price for that handsome 3LP box. They also had Van Halen's debut (reissue) and Tom Waits - Closing Time (reissue) for the same price.

To tie this post into the bulk of this thread, I considered stealing the Van Halen record and setting it on fire to throw at some passing children. I resisting that urge.

The one is my area sucks. Seems like everything is marked higher then it should be. Never seen anything on sale at my location which is weird.

Usually they are separated from the other records in a clearance section. You might want to also try just taking it to the register to see what price it rings up at, especially if it has been mentioned in this thread.

The one is my area sucks. Seems like everything is marked higher then it should be. Never seen anything on sale at my location which is weird.

Usually they are separated from the other records in a clearance section. You might want to also try just taking it to the register to see what price it rings up at, especially if it has been mentioned in this thread.

They don't separate anything at my shop. All vinyl in one spot. Good idea about just taking it to the counter though. It was interesting to see the new reissue of Ride - Nowhere at the shop in my area. I am guessing the hipsters have started listening to Ride now. Good times.

I am guessing the hipsters have started listening to Ride now. Good times.

I'm not sure. I think Urban Outfitters sometimes buys vinyl just because the cover art is cool. The cover art for Ride's Nowhere is embossed and very cool, it would sure look good in those album-sized picture frames that UO started selling long before they carried actual vinyl.

JUST TELL ME WHICH RECORDS ARE ON SALE! I keep clicking this thread hoping for that.

MC5's 'kick out the jams"

van halen's "1984"

joanna newsom's "have one on me"

that's all i can remember from the list of markdowns we got the other day. i work tomorrow, so i'll let you know what (if anything) else is on sale.

all for 9.90.

edit - also, urban SHOULD honor online prices... so whip out those iphones (unless they have the internet on their registers like we do) and prove it to them. they should sell it to you at the online price. if not, kick and scream until you get your way.

Awesome thanks! I'll check out my local Urban today and see if they marked anything down. If I find those records, will it ring up as 9.90 or only until they physically mark it down?

urban online and urban stores operate separately. so the records that are on sale online probably wont be marked unless they are on sale in the store as well. urban does, for a fact, honor online prices... but you have to bring it to their attention that it is on sale online

I am guessing the hipsters have started listening to Ride now. Good times.

I'm not sure. I think Urban Outfitters sometimes buys vinyl just because the cover art is cool. The cover art for Ride's Nowhere is embossed and very cool, it would sure look good in those album-sized picture frames that UO started selling long before they carried actual vinyl.

Doesn't hurt that its an amazing record

Doesn't hurt that its an amazing record

Damn right it is. Ride is awesome. I was just surprised to see it at UO. I understand what bent said about them carrying it just because the cover looks cool. That's the type of place that would do that.