the most expensive tax for vinyl i ever paid

$180 tax on $15 records works out to $12 each. Sucks, but it definatley isn't just a Thailand thing. I bought two records from a person (not a distro or label) in the UK and wound up having to pay over $20 in tax. Thing is the guy even marked them as a 'gift' and declared that they were worth $20 total. There was no packaging to indicate otherwise, so I have no idea how the Canadian government decided on $20.

All you Americans with your $4 media mail and no terrifs have it easy!

Thiss reminds me of my hard luck/bastard tax issue. I bought some RFTC test presses & singles for $500. By the time they arrived in the UK I had to pay an additional £75 which was about $140. As the records were second hand I complained to the HMRC and was refunded £12. This soul destroying story occured almost 10 years ago now I think. I am still bitter. I have been stung a few times since but not for a wee while now.

Moral of the story - the government sucks

thanks you guys for all comments.

adam, conrad and the other guys :

i really appreciate in what you guys wanna help me such donation or funding for tax but i can't accept money from friends. but i can say i really appreciate.

recordsofthedamned :

some of good people at here always help me for order stuffs from store and hold them until i think i can pay shipping and ready for response tax. those good guys are my best friends on my own banner.

nicole :

i think the things you faced is same thing which always happend with me about collecting vinyl. gift marked and low price declaration on cn22 is not help. if the customs think i have to pay, it means i have to pay.

scott :

i don't have any solid plan soon. what i think for next time shipping is collecting vinyl for 50-100 records and use freight service. but it's no guarantee i will be free from tax.

thanks you guys again for words. it always annoy me when i have to pay what i didn't think i have to and very expensive like this.

free tax for imported vinyl....

march 12th update ;

finally what i have to pay higher than 180 usd. it's 202 usd.

180 usd is advance customs duty fine. the customs fine me because the sender try to cheat a real value of items nad marked the packet as gift. this is not a sender's false. it's my really really bad luck. 180 usd is really big amount for 3.4 kgs packet.

another 22 usd is for custom duty and impoer goods vat, duty handling fee by dhl and vat of dhl service (why dhl didn't response vat by themselves ? why customer have to clear this ? poor the dhl customer)

at this moment i can say, please keep away from ship all records by dhl. local post is the best for ship all records to thailand. thailand post never charge me like this i just paid 0.55 usd per time when i have to pay tax.

i heard dhl always conspire with customs department for tax. 100 percent from tax is not 100 percent of money will going to the country. dhl and the customs will get some percentage.

fuck them.

dudes, this is really bad shit which decrease my interesting for collect vinyl.

fuck dhl. fuck unfair customs and fuck my self for fucking bad luck to interesting for collecting vinyl and lives in this country where customs is hard to inspect.

sorry for most unkind and not polite post i ever made. i'm so nervous and fail....

Yeah DHL is definitely in on it. A few years ago I ordered a part for my car and it came from Florida (I think,) via DHL. When the guy delivered it I had to pay a brokerage fee just to get my package. The car part was ~200 US and the brokerage fee was $80. I was so pissed.

Definitely not as bad as your situation though. Totally sucks I hope it doesn't happen again.

ridiculous. I used to work for DHL and I've never collected a dime when delivering any international freight to a US customer. very interesting how different it is across the world. i noticed when I ordered from Southern Records, every item said something like 7.5% VAT included. does something like that help you with customs taxation?

deafmx,

i don't know why i have to pay more 20 usd and courier man can't described.

finally, i have to pay those too big amount.

first and last time, i won't let any record store ship my records via dhl again. too bad for myself which i have to payback to my friends for what i didn't expect to pay.

actually, this situation made me fail to collecting vinyl....

deafmx,

i don't know why i have to pay more 20 usd and courier man can't described.

finally, i have to pay those too big amount.

first and last time, i won't let any record store ship my records via dhl again. too bad for myself which i have to payback to my friends for what i didn't expect to pay.

actually, this situation made me fail to collecting vinyl....

i've been following the thread since you originally posted it, and i don't know if you literally can't accept paypal donations towards it or won't, but i personally would definitely contribute what i can to offset what you have to pay. i can't imagine having to pay that much money just to have records imported. i don't post here a lot, but i would be more than willing to help you out.

i can't imagine the stress involved in this. good luck to you, and i really hope this doesn't discourage your collecting. i think a lot of us in the forum have had to cut back if there's something we really wanted, but we always knew ahead of time - this has obviously struck you without warning, which is a frightening thought.

cheers.

I was talking to a band I am doing a release for, overseas, and of course I wanted to send them a % of the press. They didn't even want it. They said the VAT over there currently is 20% Which is nuts. So they just wanted some personal copies.

Export is getting really difficult to overseas distributors as well. Vinyl especially, I know a lot of European, and Japan places are straight up not taking U.S vinyl anymore.

Makes me scared for world trade, it really is getting insane.