the most expensive tax for vinyl i ever paid

i just got a notification from customs which i have to pay ~180 usd for tax of 15 records from one webstore i ordered.

i never blame the store because this webstore help me a lot for declare actually retail price too low (only 1 buck per each) but the customs is smart enough for check retail price from webstore which appear on packet sticker tag, a webstore info sticker with blank for fill addressee.

for customs, i know how they're work but sometime i disagree about tax rate. they charge me over 100% of retail price.

it times to eat cup noodles for safe me for pay tax.

again, free tax for imported vinyl, please....

:'(

holy diver, i feel sorry for you dude!

i hate tax limits too.. the limits in my country have stood still since 1973.. meaning we get taxed for anything above 30 bucks

its a bitch to always haev to put together small orders of 1 or 2 vinyl at a time, and like you did here... sometimes you gotta take a chance and make a big order and hope everything goes well :/

why? $6 to ship a record domestically doesn't make sense, $3-4 max for media mail does. we get raped on shipping from international labels just the same. I paid like $50 for my 8 LP Denovali order, maybe $65 for my Southern order of 12 records. it's the tax, we don't get charged import taxes as far as I know. that's a country taking money they don't deserve to make.

why? $6 to ship a record domestically doesn't make sense, $3-4 max for media mail does. we get raped on shipping from international labels just the same. I paid like $50 for my 8 LP Denovali order, maybe $65 for my Southern order of 12 records. it's the tax, we don't get charged import taxes as far as I know. that's a country taking money they don't deserve to make.

it doesn't matter what the reason is for the extra charges; all that matters is that he has to pay them.

also, you're not taking into account the percentage of records he has to import vs. the percentage you have to import. he has to import virtually everything, whereas i'm willing to bet that a great majority of the records we all purchase are pressed and shipped from here in the US.

That's some flawed logic. You're talking apples and oranges. Just because someone lives in a foreign country and gets hosed by their country and their tax laws doesn't mean that those that live domestically should suck it up and get hosed for domestic shipping without a complaint.

i'm talking bottom line cost to purchase a record in thailand vs. domestically in the US. americans like to complain a lot about first world problems, myself included.

americans like to complain a lot about first world problems, myself included.

That's because we live in the first world.

Anyhow, to substantively address Yu:

That is just awful. There is no good justification for such a high tariff on your records. None of the (terrible) protectionist arguments work because you are buying unique records that aren't being domestically produced in Thailand.

maybe you can ask the webstore to have the person packaging put only their name on it

not the company name and also just put like a home address on it.

i dont know if people will be that nice or not...same goes for invoices

Something like this (and not having the prices listed internally at all) is your best bet. It is fraud though.

I might have a story for you guys next week when 3 of my friends and I place an order with Denovali. about 15 releases totalling around 24 actual records (some of them are 2xLP). let's see what happens there!

When we placed the group order for the SJ5 boxsets and Te 3LPs, we had no tax issues (~45 records, $800 order).

I might have a story for you guys next week when 3 of my friends and I place an order with Denovali. about 15 releases totalling around 24 actual records (some of them are 2xLP). let's see what happens there!

When we placed the group order for the SJ5 boxsets and Te 3LPs, we had no tax issues (~45 records, $800 order).

lucky, and awesome! thanks for the promising news. i'm in canada though...hoping that doesn't change things.

the webstore i bought is very very good label. they help me a lot for keep me safe from tax but i think this is a really bad time of mine.

am i blame the customs department of my country ?

yes, i think they didn't have a standard rate for vinyl. over half of people at here (and everwhere in this world) are listening music without pay back to people in music industry but they're safe. and they estimate vinyl as luxury product.

from what i know now, i have to reduce order any record for a big while. some of mine records are in good guys hand at here for ask them help me ship those records to my friends or people i know they will freight something back to thailand.

at this point, i'm so fail and feel uncomfortable to collect vinyl.

~180 usd is my food fee for a month....

Yu- Do you have a paypal acct? Send me your email.

You're one of the most positive people on the board and always helpful, and I'd like to help out with what I can. I'm sure there are a few others on the board you've helped out before who would do the same.

Save Yu's vinyl fund. Get on it!

Yu- Do you have a paypal acct? Send me your email.

You're one of the most positive people on the board and always helpful, and I'd like to help out with what I can. I'm sure there are a few others on the board you've helped out before who would do the same.

Save Yu's vinyl fund. Get on it!

I would donate to this fund.