Anyone play online Poker???

That's a shitty job, in my opinion, but I assume he's contributing to society. I lump professional gamblers in with investment bankers - they make money off money and add nothing.

Edit: Actually, I'd put them a notch below investment bankers. At least someone else can gain some benefit from investment bankers.

I really didn't mean for this to turn into anything, I was just laughing at people who really get into poker and are dissecting the talent of various players because it is just so damn trivial, in my opinion.

I know where this can go, and go for it... I love sports. I live and breathe hockey... can the same be said for that? I guess on a philosophical level, yes, hockey is equally as unimportant, but at least everyone in the NHL can beat the shit out of a little dickbag like Phil Helmuth.

Let's get back to talking shit about poker.

Everyone has opinions on the value of careers, but it's so subjective, nobody is going to convince me that anything is better than the other.

Matter of fact, I have a Masters Degree and with it I teach/counsel kids and teens for a mental health rehab company and it's the biggest bullshit job. While I'm contributing to the betterment of others, I make no money. I have to work two jobs to pay bills. Right now, a dream job would be a 9-5, Mon-Fri, making $40K a year. DREAM JOB!

Let's get back to talking shit about poker.

Everyone has opinions on the value of careers, but it's so subjective, nobody is going to convince me that anything is better than the other.

Matter of fact, I have a Masters Degree and with it I teach/counsel kids and teens for a mental health rehab company and it's the biggest bullshit job. While I'm contributing to the betterment of others, I make no money. I have to work two jobs to pay bills. Right now, a dream job would be a 9-5, Mon-Fri, making $40K a year. DREAM JOB!

Off-topic tangent: That's what I thought too, until I got out of the Army and got the 9-5 office job. I've become so bored and boring over the 4 years here that I barely know myself. I've always thrived on excitement and adventure and I feel like taking this job and trying to be someone that I'm not has been like trying to jam a square peg in a round hole for the entire four years. So I'm taking a pretty huge pay cut and going away to culinary school to get myself a career that I'll love instead of a job that will allow me to be financially safe. Like you said it is totally subjective and if you can get into the office life like a lot of the people here (by "here" I mean at work where I am right now), you can be quite happy. I hope for nothing but the best for you though, and I'm hoping you score that dream job soon.

I am loving this thread. I am loving the poker talk!

Off-topic tangent: That's what I thought too, until I got out of the Army and got the 9-5 office job. I've become so bored and boring over the 4 years here that I barely know myself. I've always thrived on excitement and adventure and I feel like taking this job and trying to be someone that I'm not has been like trying to jam a square peg in a round hole for the entire four years. So I'm taking a pretty huge pay cut and going away to culinary school to get myself a career that I'll love instead of a job that will allow me to be financially safe. Like you said it is totally subjective and if you can get into the office life like a lot of the people here (by "here" I mean at work where I am right now), you can be quite happy. I hope for nothing but the best for you though, and I'm hoping you score that dream job soon.

I am loving this thread. I am loving the poker talk!

Thanks dude. This job was supposed to be the dream job and it's turning out to be a nightmare. I worked for a non-profit for 4 years doing overnights. It was great while I was in grad school but then it turned out to be a bummer. A lot of it was my boss and the way the organization is run. Boss is gone now so it's better but the place is still on it's way to obvilion unless they make some changes.

I know an office job blows but to work one job, 40 hours a week, instead of doing 2 jobs at 50-60 hours, would just be the tits.

I love how everyone who has creatively fulfilling jobs that are low-paying want menial jobs with better wages, and everyone who has menial jobs with better wages want creatively fulfilling job that are low-paying.

It's true. Some have better reasons than others, I suppose. But it's the 'grass is always greener' mentality.

My poker story had an ironic twist to it. The highlight of my career was getting 2nd in a big tournament for 16k. That win binked my bankroll up to 32k. I was on top of the world. At the time I thought, I should use this money to get myself into a career that will benefit me in the longrun.

I got a job in sales that only paid commission. I figured I could just withdraw money when I needed it and use my poker bankroll to float me through the tougher times. 18 months later I was near broke and failing hard despite putting everything I had into this "career." I wish I could go back in time and keep pursuing my poker career.

So ironically the career was the shitty choice and the gambling was the better alternative.