American Drug War

Guest baseball

Hey, cool post! I can't comment on the movie because I haven't seen it, but I am actively a part of the drug reform movement.

The drug policy in this country is truly shameful and does vastly more harm than good. The drug war has a fascinating (but sickening) history built on racism, control, money, and degredation of rights. There's far too many facets of it to talk about it in a post on here, but I'd be happy to answer questions (to the best of my ability) on the drug war, drug policy, the drug reform movement, drugs in general, or protection of rights from law enforcement.

For anyone interested:

Books:

-The Great Drug War by Arnold Trebach (professor/researcher/expert, from American University)

-Saying Yes: In Defense of Drug Use by Jacob Sullum (Reason Magazine)

Websites: (some good ones off the top of my head, .orgs and .coms might be off for some of these)

Stop The Drug War (http://stopthedrugwar.org)

DrugWar Rant (http://drugwarrant.com)

Drug Policy Alliance (http://drugpolicy.org)

Drug War Facts (http://drugwarfacts.com) .org maybe?

RxMarihuana (http://rxmarihuana.com ?) Lester Grinspoon, director of Harvard Psychiatric School...40 years research on marijuana and it's medicinal values

Flex Your Rights (http://flexyourrights.org)

Last, for anyone in Maryland. There is a grassroots medical marijuana movement starting up led by a successful plaintiff in a Medical Marijuana lawsuit against the Federal Government. Four Teach-Ins/information sessions are going to be held, in Baltimore (tomorrow) Salisbury, Hagerstown, and Silver Spring. Trying to make MD the 14th medical marijuana state.

Sorry for the long post! :D

The only thing Joe Rogan has done worth a damn is hate Carlos Mencia. I don't support the war on drugs (it's a monumental waste of time and money, get a fucking war on poverty) but there are two kinds of people who tend to be against it:

1) People who are fairly well educated and know what a waste it is.

2) White middle class kids who don't want to be hassled while they smoke weed in their bro's dad's SUV in a 7-11 parking lot.

I dislike one of these groups with a furious passion.

personally i think they should legalize everything across the board, offer it by prescription, tax the hell out of it, making safe, pure sources available for adults who want to use them... and also taking the gang/mafia/cartels profit away... while paying off the national debt, and keeping non violent drug offenders out of jail.

Guest baseball
The only thing Joe Rogan has done worth a damn is hate Carlos Mencia. I don't support the war on drugs (it's a monumental waste of time and money, get a fucking war on poverty) but there are two kinds of people who tend to be against it:

1) People who are fairly well educated and know what a waste it is.

2) White middle class kids who don't want to be hassled while they smoke weed in their bro's dad's SUV in a 7-11 parking lot.

I dislike one of these groups with a furious passion.

One of the most difficult parts of this movement is that even though it's primarily made up of the former, we're cast by the media and the government as much more of the latter.

Drug reform groups are often referred to as 'pro-drug' groups in the mainstream media, even though that couldn't be further from the truth. A very sizable part of the movement is made of people that don't even use drugs. It's very backwards that supporting harm reduction and humane methods of drug control over imprisonment and punishment is somehow 'pro-drug'.

Stereotypes and generalizations are strong though, and I think it will just take time (and effort) to get past that, unfortunately.

as part of the media i try to refer to drug reform groups as pro-drug whenever possible.

i'm just kidding. i'm with you, mr baseball. canada is trying to establish mandatory minimums for violent crimes and crimes where guns are used or present. there's some concern that could eventually lead to mandatory minimums for other offences, and anyone who's seen the u.s. example would likely assume that drug offences would/could follow. although that's not a given, as there's already some lax policies here by comparison.

Guest baseball
as part of the media i try to refer to drug reform groups as pro-drug whenever possible.

i'm just kidding. i'm with you, mr baseball. canada is trying to establish mandatory minimums for violent crimes and crimes where guns are used or present. there's some concern that could eventually lead to mandatory minimums for other offences, and anyone who's seen the u.s. example would likely assume that drug offences would/could follow. although that's not a given, as there's already some lax policies here by comparison.

I don't think mandatory minimums are good policy ever. It's just not necessary, in my opinion. You're talking about people's lives, there's no reason not to go through the entire process and just slap them with a mandatory minimum. If everyone involved does their jobs competently (law enforcement, lawyers, judges), then truly dangerous criminals will get their time.

The US has huge problems with mandatory minimums. Holding 5 grams of crack cocaine (the amount that would fit in a sugar packet)? BAM, 5 years in prison. No exceptions, nothing you can do about it. It's ridiculous. 1 in 99 adults in the USA are in jail, including 1 in 9 black men between 20 and 34 years old.

ONE IN 99 FREAKING ADULTS. That's unbelievable. The US has 5% of the world's population and houses 25% of the world's incarcerated population.

Canada would be smart not to follow in the US' footsteps. Although I've read some troubling reports about US influence on Canada's drug policies and the direction yours are headed.

just because i use it a lot, and it makes me feel good, doesn't mean i 'like it so much' it just means i use it.

So, you use something a lot and every time you use it, it makes you feel good. I'd say that means you like it.

Or, alternately, it means you're addicted. You're addicted to cocaine. You're a cocaine addict.

just because i use it a lot, and it makes me feel good, doesn't mean i 'like it so much' it just means i use it.

So, you use something a lot and every time you use it, it makes you feel good. I'd say that means you like it.

Or, alternately, it means you're addicted. You're addicted to cocaine. You're a cocaine addict.

COKEHEAD!!!

Or is he addicted to the love that cocaine brings him? Think about that.

I watched this over the weekend. I thought it was okay and brought up some interesting points. Mainly just gave me a visualization to a lot of stuff that I guess I knew. I don't use drugs in a narcotic sense (I do drink alcohol) but I'm not totally sure how I feel on the war on drugs. I do agree with a partial decriminalization of drugs. I think legalization would just be one disaster turning into another. Allowing the use of a highly addictive substance can in some cases cause criminal behavior.

The thing that I think the government fears in even minor decriminalization is the loss of their foolish singlemindedness toward drugs. I have a feeling they look at it like, "If we make pot legal, what next? We spent years saying how horrible it was, if we were wrong about pot, what about acid? Or cocaine?! My god we would have to make laws and regulations on everything and actually provide sound scientific evidence and logic for our reasons...it can't be done".

That doesn't mean I don't think it should be done, but I can see why a bunch of shiftless politicians would just as soon say, "nope, all drugs are bad".

personally i think they should legalize everything across the board, offer it by prescription, tax the hell out of it, making safe, pure sources available for adults who want to use them... and also taking the gang/mafia/cartels profit away... while paying off the national debt, and keeping non violent drug offenders out of jail.

I think that about sums up my feelings on the whole issue. I think if you made them available and took away the stigma you would get a less people using them.