Wonder Years record release show

June 14th - Starlight Ballroom - Philly

I'm going and drinking, and singing. You should too.

ticketfly.com

Wonder Years, Fireworks, Hostage Calm and Mixtapes.

Ughh, wish I could go...Spaghetti man, any chance that if there is a record release show copy of the new record...you could snag me one...? I would pay you for your troubles ;D

yuk, on a tuesday

This was my thought, but I hate my job so letting other things take priority is fine by me.

Also as far as the record release vinyl goes, if there is one, I've gotten several PM's. I'll try to help who I can but I'm not going to be the asshole who asks for 10 records at the merch table.

ticketfly.com

I wouldn't drink at a Wonder Years show or you might get called out for it on their next album.

Hey I didn't say I was drinking alcoholic beverages! What're you gettin' at?

ticketfly.com

I wouldn't drink at a Wonder Years show or you might get called out for it on their next album.

When I hung w/ TWY in KY we were with the Courage Crew, they are nice guys. The only SXE one is Soupy, Josh and them were drinking PBR tallboys!

Not to mention that Soupy isn't a dick about being straight edge

If he isn't then maybe he shouldn't have written one of the most outwardly straight edge (alcohol/sex/drug bashing) albums in recent memory.

"I'm twenty three and avoiding the bar scene,

Lycra pants, and designer jeans.

"All my friends are in bar bands,

I don't know how it happened,

I hope it pays the rent."

"Lining up cheap beer and roofies for a party at their place.

Trying to convince freshmen they're somebody

By spending all of their parents' money on kegstands."

And on and on...

The dude just sounds bitter and uses terrible cliches and stereotypes. Not everyone that drinks is a douche.

I never interpreted those lines as being anything straight edge. I personally drink but avoid the bar scene because it's fucking annoying for all the reasons he states in the song. I think the bar band line refers to bands that are basically doing nothing but playing local bars and the last line seems more of a rip on college assholes than alcohol itself.

I never interpreted those lines as being anything straight edge. I personally drink but avoid the bar scene because it's fucking annoying for all the reasons he states in the song. I think the bar band line refers to bands that are basically doing nothing but playing local bars and the last line seems more of a rip on college assholes than alcohol itself.

i definitely agree.

yeah, i'm straight edge and i don't think any of the lyrics are taking a militant edge stance.

i definitely agree.

yeah, i'm straight edge and i don't think any of the lyrics are taking a militant edge stance.

He is not saying he is going to beat up any one who drinks, but he portrays drinking negatively in almost every song.

"I hate the way you move when you’re drunk and try dancing.

It’s not sexy. "

You can say he is just talking about personal experiences, but at some point a line is drawn. If I wrote an album and every song talked about personal experiences where various politicians did something I disliked and I was against what both political parties stood for it would be hard to say I am not anti-government.

By the way, I really do like the music, I like all the special covers, I like that they bust their ass, and this release show will probably be a good time, but I just can't get past the lyrics.

i definitely agree.

He is not saying he is going to beat up any one who drinks, but he portrays drinking negatively in almost every song.

It’s not sexy. "

You can say he is just talking about personal experiences, but at some point a line is drawn. If I wrote an album and every song talked about personal experiences where various politicians did something I disliked and I was against what both political parties stood for it would be hard to say I am not anti-government.

By the way, I really do like the music, I like all the special covers, I like that they bust their ass, and this release show will probably be a good time, but I just can't get past the lyrics.

in the example you used, he used the personal pronoun 'I' to denote his feeling, not that he's dictating the way others (the listeners) should feel. i also think you're blowing it far out of proportion to imply that every song is about being straight edge. i doubt the other members of the band, who aren't edge, would be cool with that.

It’s not sexy. "

in the example you used, he used the personal pronoun 'I' to denote his feeling, not that he's dictating the way others (the listeners) should feel. i also think you're blowing it far out of proportion to imply that every song is about being straight edge. i doubt the other members of the band, who aren't edge, would be cool with that.

Whether or not he wants to, as the front man of the band, his thoughts are a representation of the band. Although we may not realize it, because we are more or less past the age of being influenced by a song, he is a role model. If he says he doesn't like drunk chicks or bars or anything of that nature there are people out there that will hear him say those things and think to themselves "If he doesn't like those things then I don't either." The songs are definitely about his experiences as a straight edge individual in a touring band and how certain events made him feel.

P.S. - If you are singing along and the line is "I hate my parents" but you actually like your parents that could make you feel uncomfortable.

P.P.S. - I didn't know the straight edge status of any of the band members prior to listening to their music, but once I heard some of the lyrics I figured whoever wrote the lyrics did not drink.

I took all of those lyrics to be not a commentary on drinking but a commentary on the kids who think drinking is all a party is. The girls who get drunk so they can't loosen up, the douchebag frat boys who spend their twenties doing kegstands their parents pay for, etc etc. All my friends are in bar bands isn't about judging dudes who are playing in bar bands, it's about the changes we all have to make as we grow up. He friends are settling down and playing in bar bands, their not out touring and being wild.

I get where you're coming from but look at the record again from a perspective that Soupy is a nice dude who doesn't drink, not straight edger. I think you'll see what he's getting at.

I took all of those lyrics to be not a commentary on drinking but a commentary on the kids who think drinking is all a party is. The girls who get drunk so they can't loosen up, the douchebag frat boys who spend their twenties doing kegstands their parents pay for, etc etc. All my friends are in bar bands isn't about judging dudes who are playing in bar bands, it's about the changes we all have to make as we grow up. He friends are settling down and playing in bar bands, their not out touring and being wild.

I get where you're coming from but look at the record again from a perspective that Soupy is a nice dude who doesn't drink, not straight edger. I think you'll see what he's getting at.

This ^