Shai Hulud - 'Misanthropy Pure' out on 5/27

Just (more like a few nights ago but I neglected to check my email) got word from the band that the new album is scheduled to drop on May 27th.

No further details but will share if and when I get them.

Edit:...our good friend Darrell (xfedaykinx) posted the official press release:

Official press release:

Shai Hulud are finally back with their new album (and Metal Blade Records debut) "Misanthropy Pure." Recorded at Silver Bullet Media in Connecticut and mixed by Eric Rachel at Trax East, "Misanthropy Pure," the band's first offering in over five years, Shai Hulud kicks it old school, according to founding member Matt Fox. "It's faster, slower, more metal, less metal, more rock, more progressive, and less progressive than anything we've ever done."

Don't call it a comeback. It's not a reunion. It's an emergence from a hibernation that included plenty of activity. Shai Hulud have returned to the forefront of a scene they helped create. While the current "metalcore" climate has a blueprint that was co-authored by Shai Hulud, the band isn't content to rest on past triumphs.

When the metalcore sound was in its infancy, there were four bands that every band was copying and those bands were Dillinger Escape Plan, Converge, Poison The Well, and Shai Hulud. Musically, the album combines hardcore, thrash, punk and metal, and siphons influence from diverse sources, ranging from Metallica to Burn to Testament to Dead Kennedy's to Circle Jerks. "We were influenced by Youth of Today and Testament from day one," Fox says proudly of the days before the term "metalcore" even existed. He admits they up the ante, refusing to adhere to trends or to cash in on some musical renaissance. "It's like that movie Deep Blue Sea," Fox says. "The tagline on the DVD box is 'Bigger. Faster. Smarter. Meaner.' That's how this record is. Is it the best thing we've ever done? I don't know. We'll leave that to those who listen."

"Misanthropy Pure" was written and recorded by Matt Fox (guitars), Matt Fletcher (bass), Matt Mazzali (vocals), and Andrew Gormley (drums).

Tracklisting "Misanthropy Pure":

- Venomspreader

- The Creation Ruin

- Misanthropy Pure

- We Who Finish Last

- Chorus Of The Dissimilar

- In The Mind And Marrow

- To Bear The Brunt Of Many Blades

- Four Earths

- Set You Body Ablaze

- Be Winged

- Cold Lord Quietus

- They Congregate To Mourn

- The Persecution Of Every Next Breath

- Go Forth To Life

"Misanthropy Pure" will be released the 30th of May (D/A/CH/I) and the 26th of May (rest of Europe).

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

okay, so the color on this is a lot more consistent than it looks. The sunlight and my crappy camera phone/lack of photography skills kinda screwed it up. Also, because the shirt was on my blankets, the logos are a bit waaaaavy.

[image]

[image]

kinda silly, but I had to buy it for the sweet Ghostbusters reference. Something tells me that Hulud is the only band on that No-Neck Fest tour that doesn't take themselves too srsly.

That's the thing I have always loved about the band, they have a sense of humor. The music is heavy and serious, but the guys don't take it all too seriously and the jokes they throw out esp. in their merch are priceless.

Definitely. I've always kinda held the belief that you should take the music seriously, but not necessarily yourself.

When we got there some really shitty band with 3 vocalists - that's 3. vocalists. - was on, and from what I know about the rest of the lineup, I can say with no uncertaintly that Hulud is likely the only band with so much as a sense of humor there.

Though, to be fair, I've talked to Sal Enemy a few times in the past; actually a really nice dude.

Official press release:

Shai Hulud are finally back with their new album (and Metal Blade Records debut) "Misanthropy Pure." Recorded at Silver Bullet Media in Connecticut and mixed by Eric Rachel at Trax East, "Misanthropy Pure," the band's first offering in over five years, Shai Hulud kicks it old school, according to founding member Matt Fox. "It's faster, slower, more metal, less metal, more rock, more progressive, and less progressive than anything we've ever done."

Don't call it a comeback. It's not a reunion. It's an emergence from a hibernation that included plenty of activity. Shai Hulud have returned to the forefront of a scene they helped create. While the current "metalcore" climate has a blueprint that was co-authored by Shai Hulud, the band isn't content to rest on past triumphs.

When the metalcore sound was in its infancy, there were four bands that every band was copying and those bands were Dillinger Escape Plan, Converge, Poison The Well, and Shai Hulud. Musically, the album combines hardcore, thrash, punk and metal, and siphons influence from diverse sources, ranging from Metallica to Burn to Testament to Dead Kennedy's to Circle Jerks. "We were influenced by Youth of Today and Testament from day one," Fox says proudly of the days before the term "metalcore" even existed. He admits they up the ante, refusing to adhere to trends or to cash in on some musical renaissance. "It's like that movie Deep Blue Sea," Fox says. "The tagline on the DVD box is 'Bigger. Faster. Smarter. Meaner.' That's how this record is. Is it the best thing we've ever done? I don't know. We'll leave that to those who listen."

"Misanthropy Pure" was written and recorded by Matt Fox (guitars), Matt Fletcher (bass), Matt Mazzali (vocals), and Andrew Gormley (drums).

Tracklisting "Misanthropy Pure":

- Venomspreader

- The Creation Ruin

- Misanthropy Pure

- We Who Finish Last

- Chorus Of The Dissimilar

- In The Mind And Marrow

- To Bear The Brunt Of Many Blades

- Four Earths

- Set You Body Ablaze

- Be Winged

- Cold Lord Quietus

- They Congregate To Mourn

- The Persecution Of Every Next Breath

- Go Forth To Life

"Misanthropy Pure" will be released the 30th of May (D/A/CH/I) and the 26th of May (rest of Europe).

there's no way this isnt going to rule. i really need that shai hulud shirt w/ the ghostbusters reference seeing as how GB's just might be my favorite movie of all time and shai hulud is one of my favorite bands.

If you're shirt size is XL, I have an extra one, never worn, in black. Looking to sell or trade.

[image]

[image]

Guest genericinsight

That's interesting that they decided to put Set Your Body Ablaze on this. I'm assuming it's re-recorded (since the original recording was with Geert). Curious to hear how the new one sounds.