TV Help

So I guess my TV is broken. The screen is black but the sound still works. I just called customer service and the support guy says it's something about a capacitor blowing out on the control board. He said it's a part that they can send and I can install myself. The part is 224 then when I send my broken part to them I get 100 back.

I don't know much about TV's so I'm wondering if I should just buy a new TV? Would it be worth it to repair the old one? It's a 5 year old Polaroid. I've never had any problems with it until now.

personally i would just save up and get a new one when you are ready. not a tv expert but that is what i would do. one problem could lead to others down the road.

the only tv i would buy would be a samsung. been happy with mine and all i know that have one have had nothing but great experiences.

good luck.

Last fall was the best time for HDTV prices. You can still get a decent cheap 720 LCD for around $250 though. Just stick with name brands, and don't let how they look in the store fool you (they use lights to make them look better, and they run 24/7 so they fade and such fast). If you see one in your price range, google it for customer reviews, that's your best bet on if it's good or not.

i would check out slickdeals.net if you havent yet. they do not sell things themselves but have links to really great deals on the internet and at real stores (b&m brick and mortar)

i was able to wait and find the deal i wanted pop up and got mine from fry's electronics. with a little patience and checking it once a day or so you can find something.

good luck

I got a 42 inch HD tv for like 380 that works great. I'm sure you could get a smaller, nice one for a 2-300.

That's a good deal! Where did you get that? I think I'll probably stick with the 32" This is my bedroom TV so 32" looks really big in there.

I just got whatever the cheapest thing at Best Buy was.

• 4 years later...

Not related to a broken TV, but TV help nonetheless!

I need help Identifying a TV show.

I saw it quite while ago, and I want to say it was randomaly on Hulu. From what I remember it was more Sci-Fi, there were people in a small gated town with a eerie militant government/police presence akin to Wayward Pines. The show centered around younger people. At one point a boy walks into a living room with loud music playing and his father attacks him like he lost his mind. He meets with a girl (I could've sworn Shailene Woodley played her but I couldn't find anything on imdb) and they escape through the gate.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I've searched Google for hours and can't find anything about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

6 hours ago, Shitty Rambo said:

Not related to a broken TV, but TV help nonetheless!

I need help Identifying a TV show.

I saw it quite while ago, and I want to say it was randomaly on Hulu. From what I remember it was more Sci-Fi, there were people in a small gated town with a eerie militant government/police presence akin to Wayward Pines. The show centered around younger people. At one point a boy walks into a living room with loud music playing and his father attacks him like he lost his mind. He meets with a girl (I could've sworn Shailene Woodley played her but I couldn't find anything on imdb) and they escape through the gate.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I've searched Google for hours and can't find anything about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The Neighbors?

Yeah, just save up and buy a new one. It sounds like a lot of hassle for a repair. Unless it's relatively cheap, then go for it. 

I got a 43" Vizio at Walmart for around $350. Also 4K TVs are becoming a thing, so I would save for one of those. Will probably give my TV away to my sister and get a 4K myself. 

Edit: Okay, I didn't realize how old this was. 

17 hours ago, marc32137 said:

There was a Netflix show from Canada that sounded familiar to this. I think it was called Between and had Jennette McCurdy in it. That ring any bells?

I watched this today. Thought this was it for sure but got a couple episodes in and  I don't think this is it. However I did see the pilot of this when it first came out and then forgot about it, so thank you for reminding me about it because it seems cool!

18 hours ago, vinyl addict said:

The Neighbors?

I'll check this out tomorrow. Isn't this a comedy about aliens? 

It's also possible that I completely made this up in my head and it doesn't actually exist. Maybe I subconsciously warped the show Marc suggested and I never saw this at all haha.