So I bought a SUV (Jeep 07 Commander)

I've only driven SUVs 2003-2008 Mercury Mountaineer and 2009-Present Mercury Mariner. The Mountaineer was on its last leg at 160K and I traded it in with the cash for clunkers. The Mariner gets 26 MPG so I'm happy with that. They are pretty sturdy rides especially since I drive like shit. I'd just say make sure to keep up with your routine maintenance. Falling behind on that is when you wind up with 2-3K car repair bills.

Did you get the car facts?

I've only driven SUVs 2003-2008 Mercury Mountaineer and 2009-Present Mercury Mariner. The Mountaineer was on its last leg at 160K and I traded it in with the cash for clunkers. The Mariner gets 26 MPG so I'm happy with that. They are pretty sturdy rides especially since I drive like shit. I'd just say make sure to keep up with your routine maintenance. Falling behind on that is when you wind up with 2-3K car repair bills.

Did you get the car facts?

Yea I have the Car Fox and it was originally a rental then sold to a guy who had it repo'd. The SUV was kept beyond awesome. Also my payments have a lifetime warranty factored into them for power-train/engine/fuel lines/etc

My cousin was the sale person and his step father is the Manager, so I feel like I didn't get dicked around....but still clueless to this first time car owner thing!

PS - The Mountaineer was the first car I drove when I got my license! Miss that SUV!

Jeeps typically have transmission problems. if you have a 4x4 the transfer case can also cause some headaches. the Commander was built on the Grand Cherokee platform, and transmission issues were big with the Grand Cherokee. since you have a lifetime powertrain warranty you should be covered for most problems with the transmission, but simple maintenance like making sure the tranny fluid is filled up can help prevent the need to send your car in for repairs.

Jeeps typically have transmission problems. if you have a 4x4 the transfer case can also cause some headaches. the Commander was built on the Grand Cherokee platform, and transmission issues were big with the Grand Cherokee. since you have a lifetime powertrain warranty you should be covered for most problems with the transmission, but simple maintenance like making sure the tranny fluid is filled up can help prevent the need to send your car in for repairs.

A bunch of my friends from college had late-'90s Cherokees / Grand Cherokees and they were all beat pretty badly. My one friend has two lifted Grand Cherokees right now. The one has been annihilated on rocks and shit and still goes. His transfer case did blow at one point though. I think it's actually only running 2-wheel drive right now to be honest. But seriously, I've never known anyone who beats his car so badly as this guy.