Bands That Broke Your Heart

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you truly love a band, then you're going to love what they put out - no matter what. If not, you just like the albums they put out, rather than actually loving the band. For example, if you were to "love" mwY through all of their albums, but then hated them after you heard their latest work, you never loved them in the first place...you just had some weird, shallow infatuation with albums you viewed as pure entertainment. Bands like that keep the same main point in their music, and that's where you should put your actual loyalty.

If you truly love a band, then you're going to love what they put out - no matter what. If not, you just like the albums they put out, rather than actually loving the band. For example, if you were to "love" mwY through all of their albums, but then hated them after you heard their latest work, you never loved them in the first place...you just had some weird, shallow infatuation with albums you viewed as pure entertainment. Bands like that keep the same main point in their music, and that's where you should put your actual loyalty.

How do you explain Against Me!? Tom wrote good songs and had ideals until he got mainstream attention, turned coat and started playing shitty dance-pop for millions. Now he's just an "anarchist" in a higher tax bracket. Money changes everything. If you disagree, then explain why AM! releases so many cash-cow demo discs.

I find myself not being a huge fan of bands after the first few releases. Not really stoked on later Mastodon yet I still buy it. I really liked the demo and first Alexisonfire lp but after that I was pretty meh. And my two classics. Metallica and Black Sabbath. ONLY the first 4 records from either of these bands ever hit my turntable.

this is incorrect. plain wrong.

this is incorrect. plain wrong.

I concur. What a little dipshit.

Hey, loyalist, why do you think bands break up most of the time?

Yeah Tadkinsutk's comment doesn't make much sense to me. There are plenty of bands that I love that put out records I am not crazy about. Moneen lost me for a minute with whatever the record before the last one was but I still love those guys. Plus any JEW fan had that whole Invented record thing. Great band, not a great record.

i mean, it's still a to-each-his-own sort of thing, but... BUT... bands change. so do people's tastes. it's wildly improbable that one person is going to love EVERY record a 20-year-old band puts out, particularly if that person started listening to that band with their first album. i'd actually be pretty quick to call bullshit on someone who says they LOVE everything any 10+ year old band puts out.

actually, maybe we should start a thread of exceptions to this. ITT: Bands that cannot put out a disappointing record.

Whoever even considers putting Underoath, mewithoutYou, As Cities Burn, or Copeland on this thread is a complete buffoon.

you were 10 years old when mwY's and Copeland's first full lengths were released.

How is the age of some one relevant to how much they enjoy a band and their releases?

Guest errolwest

modern life is war with midnight in america. that was really upsetting

small brown bikes new album

minus the bear with omni-holy shit that album was bad

algernon cadwalladers new album was also really bad.

I completely disagree with this. Let's say a band I once loved is super religious (not mwY) and spouts an album with songs about hating gays and whatever else. I would definitely not "love it" because I once loved their older material nor would I feel obligated to. That one album would completely change my opinion of that band. Therefore that would break my heart to see a band I once loved become bigots.

Music is subjective you don't have to love everything a band has done to enjoy them. That is bull-shit.

Weezer.

This. Weezer was my first concert in 1995. I thought Pinkerton was the greatest album ever in 1996. No one else thought so at the time. Shit like Why Bother and Pink Triangle got me through high school. Now, I wouldn't go see them if you paid me. Rivers Coumo goes from talking about dating lesbians to singing about the dawning of a Brand New World. To say they sold out would be the biggest understatement in the world. It makes me sick. Was my favorite band ever until they came back from hiatus in 2000. Weezer died when Matt Sharp left the band. Thank God there are still people around like Tim Kasher, David Bazan and Kevin Devine.

Death Cab For Cutie. I love We Have The Facts and The Photo Album. But I feel with every album they get progressively worse. I know Ben is happy now that Zoey is in his life but damn you go from writing things like Title Track and Styrofoam Plates to the stuff they are putting out now. I just don't get it. They are heading the way of Weezer unfortunately.

Lucero

Was it the horns?

things just got too complacent for them.. much like nofx after "white trash...". they were like ac/dc.. everything just started sounding the same.. but the horns didn't help either. they just bored me after the first 3 times i saw them live as well.

Was it the horns?

things just got too complacent for them.. much like nofx after "white trash...". they were like ac/dc.. everything just started sounding the same.. but the horns didn't help either. they just bored me after the first 3 times i saw them live as well.

Damn. Bumout. What about Ben's solo stuff?

Conor Oberst broke my heart.

Not because I think the albums he has put out after the Digital Ash and I'm Wide Awake double-release are shit,

because they're great in their own right.

More or less because of the direction they have gone.

I get that the guy has to mature from albums like Letting Off the Happiness, Fevers and Mirrors and Lifted, but still.

It's hard to love the shit he's putting out today when gems like that are still available.

Weezer. I dig the newer albums (gasp) but it's sad to see them go from Blue and Pinkerton to this bullshit.

Kind of Like Spitting for no longer existing.

Damn. Bumout. What about Ben's solo stuff?

i haven't even made a attempt to listen..i dont seeing it being any different, but i could be wrong.

you were 10 years old when mwY's and Copeland's first full lengths were released.

How is the age of some one relevant to how much they enjoy a band and their releases?

he called me (and several other people) a buffoon. i just made a statement. ...and called him a child in a roundabout way.