Scammed again by bullshit claims of ltd pressings!

Thread starts when someone is fired up over misreading something.

Everyone takes turns reiterating how the original poster fucked up.

Someone chimes in about how Hot Topic sucks (because, obviously, every thread is directly related to HT - duh!)

A couple people pick on the noobs, because they came out of the womb with 3 expedits packed the top with sweet über-limited records and an incredible knowledge of variants and specific release dates.

Next logical step? Someone has to take a swing at Enjoy The Ride. Any takers?

you've got this all wrong.

the next logical step was posting jersey shore related things. and i already took said step.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest deathbydrums

Back to the topic...

When dealing with the public, a policy of "no surprises" is always best (in the long run, anyways... short term/immediate sales likely spike when "surprises" are involved and this is where the shadiness, resentment and claims of scam begin). I DO feel that some labels/record sellers knowingly benefit and boost sales from intentional vagueness in wording.

These two points are what cause people's "bullshit claims of limited pressings":

1. Record labels/sellers know that people jump on limited edition stuff... the more limited, the faster they jump.

2. Record buyers know that if you want limited edition stuff you must purchase it quickly.

In addition to good literacy skills and clear wording, how difficult is full disclosure and transparency? How long does it take to write any one of these?:

-this is a repress

-this is the # repress

-total edition of ____, this many of each color

-this will/will not be repressed

Let's hear of more examples... this is what the post is supposed to be about and this is perhaps one of the very "limited" ways we can expose these claims and express our displeasure. I chose to not expose any claims that I feel are bullshit despite the fact that I feel there are more than a few. Instead, I would like to say that customers DO greatly appreciate transparency. Some record sellers could learn a lot from the likes of Top Shelf, Denovali and many others. Most of 'em are good, in fact!

THANK YOU TO ALL OF THE LABELS WHO ARE OPEN AND HONEST!

FUCK ALL Y'ALL WITH THE MISLEADING TACTICS.

Back to the topic...

When dealing with the public, a policy of "no surprises" is always best (in the long run, anyways... short term/immediate sales likely spike when "surprises" are involved and this is where the shadiness, resentment and claims of scam begin). I DO feel that some labels/record sellers knowingly benefit and boost sales from intentional vagueness in wording.

These two points are what cause people's "bullshit claims of limited pressings":

1. Record labels/sellers know that people jump on limited edition stuff... the more limited, the faster they jump.

2. Record buyers know that if you want limited edition stuff you must purchase it quickly.

In addition to good literacy skills and clear wording, how difficult is full disclosure and transparency? How long does it take to write any one of these?:

-this is a repress

-this is the # repress

-total edition of ____, this many of each color

-this will/will not be repressed

Let's hear of more examples... this is what the post is supposed to be about and this is perhaps one of the very "limited" ways we can expose these claims and express our displeasure. I chose to not expose any claims that I feel are bullshit despite the fact that I feel there are more than a few. Instead, I would like to say that customers DO greatly appreciate transparency. Some record sellers could learn a lot from the likes of Top Shelf, Denovali and many others. Most of 'em are good, in fact!

THANK YOU TO ALL OF THE LABELS WHO ARE OPEN AND HONEST!

FUCK ALL Y'ALL WITH THE MISLEADING TACTICS.

Amen, Brother! You said it better than I ever could. How hard is it for labels to do something as simple as this:

http://dinealonerecords.com/pressing/

Every label should be like No Idea. If a pressing of something sells out, press more. If people want a record, why can't they buy it?

I can't think of a single record I have where I'm bummed at the color or the number of people who also have that color. I just want it to play music. Do I like some colors more than others? Sure! But I don't care how limited it is.

Every label should be like No Idea. If a pressing of something sells out, press more. If people want a record, why can't they buy it?

I can't think of a single record I have where I'm bummed at the color or the number of people who also have that color. I just want it to play music. Do I like some colors more than others? Sure! But I don't care how limited it is.

Record collecting sure has changed. I can remember riding my bike with paper route money as a kid to Racoon Records to get the latest Hendrix or Zeppelin release the day they came out and didn't even give a ratsarse about how many were pressed. Everyone rushed home to listen to them.

Records used to be $5.99 back then, or less. Later on they got as high as $8.99 for new releases at the retail level.

I still have most of them, fwiw.

I urge you folks to focus on the music and not the collecting, but then I'm a guitarist so I'm biased.

Record collecting sure has changed. I can remember riding my bike with paper route money as a kid to Racoon Records to get the latest Hendrix or Zeppelin release the day they came out and didn't even give a ratsarse about how many were pressed. Everyone rushed home to listen to them.

Records used to be $5.99 back then, or less. Later on they got as high as $8.99 for new releases at the retail level.

I still have most of them, fwiw.

I urge you folks to focus on the music and not the collecting, but then I'm a guitarist so I'm biased.

The reason why people collect is because they love the music so much (at least thats why I do). I feel the two go hand and hand If you love a band enough I feel it makes sense to wanna be one only a small group of people with a special version of their record.

i take the record off of the shelf.

i take the vinyl out of the sleeve.

i place it on my turntable.

i push the button to start the spinning.

i move the arm over the record and gently place the needle on the spinning platter.

the needle hits.

in a second.

slayer flows forth from my speakers.

i like records.

i don't hear colors man.

well. at least not anymore.

FUCKING SLAYER! hail satan

yeah. it's true--focus on the music. but we can't hide from the fact that, for most of us, there's a really cool new(ish) way to enjoy collecting records. colored vinyl, rarity, even variant collecting are almost just ways to combat the convenience of buying mp3s. (point being, if it was literally only about the music itself, we'd only buy the medium on which it's easiest for each individual to listen... for some, that would be mp3)

it's fun. but, of course, when thread's like this pop up, one can't help but think that someone has diverted from the "true meaning" or whatever.

whatever. thoughts.

http://www.backstreet-merch.com/bands/rcoll/product.asp?item=rcoll26

It SAYS out of 50. I didn't notice the little printed "/300" in the picture until I actually got the thing, but it still is clearly written as "50" on the site... Kinda misleading I guess. I still dig it though. That's 250 more people that can also enjoy the same 7" right?

Oh! And this thread? Too funny.

I feel bad for the kids who were berated for their supreme Ramones knowledge.

And the one who got the music quiz, Beatles question wrong.

They OBVIOUSLY know more about music and history than any of you guys.

The interwebzzz probably told them that. ;)