Scammed again by bullshit claims of ltd pressings!

That's fucking stupid. Don't they know that if they buy one of two possible colours that they're still collecting "variants"? Or do they not buy a record unless it was only released in one colour?

I just got really sick of represses turning people into idiots incapable of using the internet or logic. The week before I left California two high school kids came into the store and one asked if I had "the newest Ramones record". So I told them that the last Ramones record was Adios Amigos, but that was 16 years ago and I asked if that was the one he was looking for. He said he didn't know the name and they looked around the store for 10-15 minutes while I fixed a guitar. Ramones kid came up to the register and proclaimed his happiness for finding the record he wanted and his readiness to get his record and go home. When I got to the register and looked at the record on the counter, I explained to him that Rocket To Russia came out in 1977, this repress came out in 2001 and Ramones released 11 LPs after that. He proceeded to argue that he saw on the internet that there was a "new" Ramones record out and this was it because he recognised the gold 180 gram sticker. I showed him other Ramones represses on the shelf like the self titled that was repressed in 2001 as well and Road To Ruin, which I explained to him was repressed in 2005 making his claim that Rocket To Russia was a "new" Ramones record, or even the last, a moot point. His only response was to call me stupid, say that I suck and that I'm wrong and don't know anything, get his friend and leave. End of long, semi-pointless story.

Well, you're both wrong. The first 4 Ramones LPs were yet again repressed a few weeks ago.

In other news I sold my 180g Rocket to Russia and picked up the Super Savers Series repress all in the past day. Avoid those 2005 represses!

do you mean the ramones or the RAMONES?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's fucking stupid. Don't they know that if they buy one of two possible colours that they're still collecting "variants"? Or do they not buy a record unless it was only released in one colour?

I just got really sick of represses turning people into idiots incapable of using the internet or logic. The week before I left California two high school kids came into the store and one asked if I had "the newest Ramones record". So I told them that the last Ramones record was Adios Amigos, but that was 16 years ago and I asked if that was the one he was looking for. He said he didn't know the name and they looked around the store for 10-15 minutes while I fixed a guitar. Ramones kid came up to the register and proclaimed his happiness for finding the record he wanted and his readiness to get his record and go home. When I got to the register and looked at the record on the counter, I explained to him that Rocket To Russia came out in 1977, this repress came out in 2001 and Ramones released 11 LPs after that. He proceeded to argue that he saw on the internet that there was a "new" Ramones record out and this was it because he recognised the gold 180 gram sticker. I showed him other Ramones represses on the shelf like the self titled that was repressed in 2001 as well and Road To Ruin, which I explained to him was repressed in 2005 making his claim that Rocket To Russia was a "new" Ramones record, or even the last, a moot point. His only response was to call me stupid, say that I suck and that I'm wrong and don't know anything, get his friend and leave. End of long, semi-pointless story.

Well, you're both wrong. The first 4 Ramones LPs were yet again repressed a few weeks ago.

In other news I sold my 180g Rocket to Russia and picked up the Super Savers Series repress all in the past day. Avoid those 2005 represses!

How is that relevant? This didn't happen a month ago. It happened three months ago. Two months before those represses. Mathed!

There's no "the" in Ramones. I mean R-A-M-O-N-E-S! Ramones!

I personally think message board "wars" or whatever you wanna call them are about the dumbest thing Ive ever heard of but for some reason some too-cool-for-school types from vlv comes over here just to post dumb shit and make fun of people for collecting variants and what not. Its all pretty dumb.

haha wow, kids can be really dumb/annoying sometimes

i love that he called YOU stupid at the end of all this hahaha

How is that relevant? This didn't happen a month ago. It happened three months ago. Two months before those represses. Mathed!

There's no "the" in Ramones. I mean R-A-M-O-N-E-S! Ramones!

Touche.

haha wow, kids can be really dumb/annoying sometimes

i love that he called YOU stupid at the end of all this hahaha

Seriously. When I was a kid I listened to what adults had to say and tried to learn from it. Now it's just smartphone=omnipotent, you=stupid. I had it coming. I shattered his faith in his lord and saviour, the interwebz.

Just started collecting and I'm already dreading this scenario. I read all over the internet about vinyl is the middle of a comeback of sorts (2.8 million sold in 2010), who's to say the OOP stuff I just dropped a few benjamins on won't be repressed in time for Xmas?

Then you can take them out of the fucking safety deposit box and actually use them for their intended purpose, PLAYING THEM.

I hope they all get re-pressed, along with tons of other old rare punk records I'd like to have but can't afford hundreds of dollars for an original pressing.

i take the record off of the shelf.

i take the vinyl out of the sleeve.

i place it on my turntable.

i push the button to start the spinning.

i move the arm over the record and gently place the needle on the spinning platter.

the needle hits.

in a second.

slayer flows forth from my speakers.

i like records.

i don't hear colors man.

well. at least not anymore.

i take the record off of the shelf.

i take the vinyl out of the sleeve.

i place it on my turntable.

i push the button to start the spinning.

i move the arm over the record and gently place the needle on the spinning platter/

the needle hits.

in a second.

slayer flows forth from my speakers.

i like records.

i don't hear colors man.

well. at least not anymore.

Giant -1. Reading this was enjoyable. I hear colours.

This thread is so Hobby.

When a place says they have "xx copies of (insert color) for mailorder," it doesn't mean they made only that quantity for mailorder. It means they have that many copies of that color available for mailorder. The rest could have gone to the band or key store accounts and on and on.

Now if a place were to denote "mailorder only," different story.

Aslo, does anyone know where I can get toploaders for my vinyl?

The same day as my new War On Drugs Slave Ambient (red vinyl limited to 75 copies from SC) shows up at my door, I get the Insound newsletter telling me I can now get it from them ON RED VINYL! WTF? *EDIT* I also just found out that my local independent record store is also carrying this on red vinyl. Really?!

This issue has been driving me batshit lately! It needs its own thread because I know it's been happening a lot lately. I had this problem with the Black Keys The Big Come Up reverse cover limited to 100 copies that turned out to be 2000! And then again with Blitzen Trapper's American Goldwing being limited to 150 on white vinyl only to find out that SubPop was getting another 300 on white.

It's not like I want my money back or anything but this is a blatantly misleading practice that takes advantage of us collectors who are enticed by limited run vinyl.

Anyone else been screwed over lately by this bait and switch routine?

You need to learn to read. SC said the first 75 orders would get limited red vinyl, not that there were only 75 made on red vinyl.

I personally think message board "wars" or whatever you wanna call them are about the dumbest thing Ive ever heard of but for some reason some too-cool-for-school types from vlv comes over here just to post dumb shit and make fun of people for collecting variants and what not. Its all pretty dumb.

Reminds me of an experience I had at secondary school.

Our English teacher was quite a cool fellow and decided that we should have a music quiz one afternoon and one of the questions was 'Name the only deceased member of the Beatles'.

When the answer was revealed as John Lennon (it was at the time), the girl next to me proclaimed that the answer was incorrect as he had just had a new album out (it was a greatest hits cd).

Words cannot describe how much I felt like humanity had betrayed me.

Just an observation. I have, literally, never seen an adult (other than employees) in a Hot Topic. Then again, you can't see much as you're walking by.

i'm an adult (mostly) and i still creep into Hot Topic to buy vinyl and get out as soon as i can. i feel like the biggest tool being in the store, but i'm kind of a tool too. i would rather buy the records online since the closest store that carries new vinyl is a good 45 min drive from my house.

should have sent them to Hot Topic, they had the SICKEST assortment of Ramones records i've ever seen ;)

Thread starts when someone is fired up over misreading something.

Everyone takes turns reiterating how the original poster fucked up.

Someone chimes in about how Hot Topic sucks (because, obviously, every thread is directly related to HT - duh!)

A couple people pick on the noobs, because they came out of the womb with 3 expedits packed the top with sweet über-limited records and an incredible knowledge of variants and specific release dates.

Next logical step? Someone has to take a swing at Enjoy The Ride. Any takers?