The Numero Group

kriss

I know most of the focus on these boards tends to lean towards the punk/general indie rock side of things, but I figured I'd ask if anyone else collects anything from the Numero label. In terms of general geekery, these guys are brilliant - uniform spines for each LP as well as a numbering system along with extensive liner notes, sturdy sleeves and thick vinyl (sometimes but not always 180g). The music tends to go towards the obscure soul and psych territories (they're strictly archival) and for some, that alone could be a turn off, figured I'd throw this out there while doubling it as an intro of myself (I've lurked these boards for several years but never jumped in).

• 2 months later...

I've never known if it's the same Numero or not, but I have a Matthew 7" from a series called "Limited Addition", that was released by a label called Numero. Came out ~8 years ago. The website has closed, but you can still find it on archive.org

http://web.archive.org/web/20080928001515/http://www.limitedaddition.com/index.html

Been a busy week, but can't wait to throw the box set on the turntable this weekend. Which disc did you like the most?

Box sets are always daunting to me because there's so much to go through and because the label split the artists up and put the tracks of each into separate sides, I've been mainly listening to the sides by the Boys as well as the sole mixed side called Teen Titans. That 10" is really rad as well though - may end up putting me into a power pop phase since I picked up a Big Star 7" yesterday partially as a result.

I've never known if it's the same Numero or not, but I have a Matthew 7" from a series called "Limited Addition", that was released by a label called Numero. Came out ~8 years ago. The website has closed, but you can still find it on archive.org

http://web.archive.org/web/20080928001515/http://www.limitedaddition.com/index.html

That looks to be a separate Numero - the label in question for this thread started 8 years ago as well but at the time they only released their stuff digitially. It wasn't until their sixth or seventh release that they started releasing vinyl versions of what they were doing. They have 40 catalogued LP's and box sets in their repetoire and the majority of them have LP counterparts. In the case of the Titan box, that one was long coming as the cd has been out for a number of years and they re-issued it on vinyl with tons of new stuff to freshen it up.

I really appreciate these guys because unlike many archival/re-issue labels, they spend tons of time actually getting the stories of the artists they're archiving as well as making sure those folks get the proper royalties. This consideration comes at a price though as some of their releases can be in the pipeline for up to three or four years depending on the size and breadth of it.

www.numerogroup.com

That looks to be a separate Numero

I'm not so sure about that. Compare the old record player in the archive link I posted, and the image here: http://www.numerogroup.com/about.php

Also the descriptions of what they do/offer are very similar. Just tweeted at the label; we'll see if they respond.

Yeah yr totally dead on with the turntable actually and they do offer an Antena record in that archive. Antena was the second or third LP release on the label so there has to be a connection - too much coincidence to not be. I'm just thrown off because Numero has never archived anything after 1980 (the Titan box set is definitely the most recent in terms of music genres they've archived) since they mainly stick to really obscure soul and R & B as well as psych - the Sahara Hotnights and BJM seven inches are throwing me off. hahah

Yeah Jeff, you should definitely try some of their stuff, it'd be up yr alley. In particular they have a sub label who released a record by this group Boscoe from the 70's. Really awesome politically minded lyrics with really free jazz-ish arrangements fused with this awesomely gritty soul sensibility.

I like what I've heard from the Numero Group but every Soul/Funk aficionado I talk to seems to see them as a mixed blessing because while they're putting out great music that a lot of people haven't heard they are also cleaning up the masters too much and taking away the balls that existed in the original 7" releases of the same songs. I haven't had a chance to compare; has anyone else noticed this?

As a Chicago resident, I love these guys! Went to their "garage" sale at their headquarters and picked up all kinds of amazing records.

Also, last year on record store day, they opened a pop up store where their employees were unloading all kinds of gems from their personal collection. It was a music geeks heaven!

I like what I've heard from the Numero Group but every Soul/Funk aficionado I talk to seems to see them as a mixed blessing because while they're putting out great music that a lot of people haven't heard they are also cleaning up the masters too much and taking away the balls that existed in the original 7" releases of the same songs. I haven't had a chance to compare; has anyone else noticed this?

I'm sure they're doing that to a certain extent on atleast a few of the singles that they compile for each release, but they've also spoken extensively about the rarity of some of those singles where in some cases (the 24 Carat Black record for example), the original tapes were practically falling apart and they had to piece them together really painstakingly to get anything out of them. I think the cost of some urgency in the recordings being taken out is worth having countless rare and all but impossible to find singles being compiled into cohesive comps that are constantly in print and readily available.

As a Chicago resident, I love these guys! Went to their "garage" sale at their headquarters and picked up all kinds of amazing records.

Also, last year on record store day, they opened a pop up store where their employees were unloading all kinds of gems from their personal collection. It was a music geeks heaven!

I wanted to go the garage sale but had other things I was doing that day. Did you get any good finds? Went to the Numero Pop Up on RSD and scored sooooo much (Mondo Bizarro by The Ramones, Coltrane's A Love Supreme for just a few bucks, etc). I walked out with probably close to 40 LP's. I hope they do the shop again this coming RSD. Wish I had shown up early enough to get that 45 that was pressed in a quantity of 100 that you could only get if you dropped by early in the morning.

i got the boddie 2lp and like it a lot, it's the only numero thing i own, though.

This comp is really great and only hints at what's to come on the Boddie Recording Co. box set. Really stoked for it. There was awhile where copies of this were pretty scarce - I'm sure some of the cassette copies are still floating around though.

i got the boddie 2lp and like it a lot, it's the only numero thing i own, though.

This comp is really great and only hints at what's to come on the Boddie Recording Co. box set. Really stoked for it. There was awhile where copies of this were pretty scarce - I'm sure some of the cassette copies are still floating around though.

I thought I should own it since one of the Boddie presses is currently at my place of work being restored. we've already restored and started using a Boddie extruder to make split-color and stripe records.

I thought I should own it since one of the Boddie presses is currently at my place of work being restored. we've already restored and started using a Boddie extruder to make split-color and stripe records.

That's really, really cool!

adrian, 35.5 can still be found here where numerous copies have been sitting since RSD: http://www.reckless.com/index.php?keywords=boddie&format=&cond=&store=&is_search=true&srch=Search

Didn't know the Boddie box was already out - need to pick this up soon.

• 1 month later...

I just got the Titan 4xLP box for Christmas, and I'm really pleased. The Boys LP is by far my favorite of the 4 discs, but they're all pretty good. I thought Gems were the weakest group who got their own side, but it's still a solid listen. This is my first Numero release, and all the praise they get is certainly warranted - it's an excellent set. I'm really excited for the Lou Ragland box coming in March, and also for the two power pop compilations coming later in the year.

Did anyone get the Boddie box? How is that?

Also, if anyone got the Titan set and wants to sell their Boys 10", let me know...my set didn't come with it.