PO: Animals as Leaders-Weightless

An e-mail i received from Prosthetic Records last night. Looks like the PO goes up at noon today.

The "Weight" is over!

On Nov. 8 (Nov. 7 in the UK, Nov. 4 in mainland Europe), Prosthetic will release "Weightless," the long-awaited new album by ANIMALS AS LEADERS. Our pre-order at http://store.prostheticrecords.com will launch tomorrow at noon EST, but since you've ordered something AAL-related from us in the past, we wanted to give you both a heads-up about the pre-order and a sneak peek at what we'll be offering.

Our webshop will offer "Weightless" on both CD and vinyl. The CD is a six-panel, plastic-free "eco-style" digipak, while the LP will be available in three variants: clear (limited to 400 copies), "Weightless blue" (limited to 75 copies) and 180-gram black. All LPs will include a download card and come in a unique record jacket that features a die-cut rendering of the band's circular logo. (We won't have pictures of it for another few weeks, so apologies if that description doesn't do it justice. Just know it will look cool!)

We'll also offer two exclusive t-shirt designs -- one of which will be available in both white and black -- and an exclusive hoodie. All of these will be available on their own or with a CD or LP.

Then there's the "deluxe bundle," which will include both shirts, your choice of CD or LP, and a custom screen-printed poster that will only be available during the pre-order.

Again, all of the above will be available while supplies last at http://store.prostheticrecords.com starting tomorrow. While you're there, feel free to pick up one of the last remaining copies of the double-vinyl version of the band's self-titled debut, which features expanded artwork, 3-D imagery, the bonus track "Wave of Babies" and custom AAL 3-D glasses.

Finally, tomorrow will also see the official unveiling of a new song from "Weightless" called "Isolated Incidents." The band has been playing this song live over the past couple of months, and there are plenty of YouTube clips out there of varying degrees of quality -- but now you'll finally have the chance to hear the studio version of the song in its entirety. The band's graphic designer even created a cool video accompaniment for the song for us; hopefully you'll dig it as much as we do.

"Weightless" features the recording debut of guitarist Javier Reyes (who mixed the album) and drummer Navene Koperweis (who served as producer). Both have been integral parts of ANIMALS AS LEADERS since the group began touring two years ago. Stay tuned in the coming weeks for behind-the-scenes footage of Reyes and Koperweis recording "Weightless" with Tosin Abasi.

ANIMALS AS LEADERS is currently touring Europe with Between The Buried and Me. The two groups will join forces again for a North American tour that kicks off next month. For a complete list of the band's upcoming tour dates, visit the band's Facebook page.

Thanks for your continued support of Prosthetic and ANIMALS AS LEADERS!

Prosthetic Records

http://store.prostheticrecords.com

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pre-order is up. Regular LP is $20; clear is $23; Weightless Blue is $25. $5 shipping. Not sure if i'm going to order at these prices. Of course, the last AAL LP was over-priced, too, so i guess i shouldn't be surprised.

I must be extremely dense; I've looked at the pages and read the descriptions several times over, and I still can't determine why the hell they're asking $30 PPD for a single LP.

Can we get serious for a moment? I half-assumed I was in an eBay shop.

I'm thinking 2xLP. Maybe it just doesn't specify it as so.

Man, their prices are wack. The S/T was $28 for black and $30 for colored. Which is stupid in and of itself charging extra for the color wax. Ah well, I'll be buying anyway. I love me some AAL.

Also, I just got the licensing rights to release something on vinyl from Prosthetic... I think you'll all dig it. And it will be nowhere near $23 for a single LP.

Discussing overpriced records is cool guy?

oof

My sentiments exactly.

This isn't a case of whining about inflated prices. I'm just genuinely interested in what's going on, here. Both Junius x2 LPs are $20 a pop. Let's assume that Weightless is a double LP. [Which is giving it the benefit of the doubt, since there's absolutely nothing to indicate this.] $25 PPD for a black, 180 gram copy? Not terrible, I suppose. I could live with that. Limited to 500, and the best sounding variant of the three? Seems fair.

Clear vinyl: $28 PPD. Limited to 400, and not 180 gram. I'm paying an extra $3.00 for less quality, sound wise - which should be the most important factor, no? - but I'll be able to own a colored press, and it'll be rarer than the black by 100 copies. [because I seriously care.]

"Weightless" Blue vinyl: $30 PPD. Limited to 75, and also not 180 gram. An additional 25% on top of an already-sketchy cost, for wax that's colored and limited. Can we admit that this is a cash grab that's targeting the Gotta' Catch 'Em All mentality of vinyl collectors? I don't sell my records, so variant-rarity is hardly something I focus on, personally. I buy what I think looks and-or sounds the best.

I'm not trying to harp on anyone who bought the "Weightless" blue. Prosthetic knew what they were doing, and obviously didn't ask too unreasonable of a price, since the thing sold out in < 2 hours. But how many of you proud blue-owners would be a little disappointed if - a month from now - they announced they were repressing 525 more copies of "Weightless" blue... thus making it the most common variant? Would you feel ripped off, at all?

Again, I don't mean to sound like I'm on a high horse. I'm just curious. And yes; I'm already aware that this is indeed a cool story [bro]. But does having a die cut jacket and limiting one variant really warrant such a spike in cost? Or changing the color of the wax, for that matter? I almost feel like you're paying for the rarity of the variant... which is laughable, really.

Anyways. Stoked to hear this album, and eager to find out if this thing is a x2 LP.

/75 > being a cool guy who boycotts steep prices

B[image][image]:)

B[image]:)

B :)

B:)

B)

Derek, I think you're just getting wayyyy too into it. Yes, this LP is way overpriced. Yes, you are paying more just to get color vinyl in a limited quantity. The spike in cost is simply because they can, and chose to do it. It has nothing to do with an increase in production costs. Adding color vinyl is a tiny fraction of the overall production cost to press the record. That's why most labels don't charge you more for color vinyl.

What I do find ironic is that it usually is a bit more to produce 180 gram vinyl, which was the cheapest way to preorder Weightless. Going by your logic, Derek, yes, it's very ass-backwards.

Obviously it didn't hinder selling the $25 /75 variant in less than two hours.

Me personally? I'd rather order the limited version so I don't regret it later. I love Animals As Leaders. Stoked for a new album (especially on vinyl). I love Prosthetic Records. They treat their bands well as far as I've seen/heard. Their prices are a bit high in general for the physical releases, but the quality is always there and I'm willing to support a label like that, even if it means throwing a little extra money their way. I'd much rather Prosthetic get five extra dollars than some twat on eBay. But yes, this release could have been substantially cheaper for the consumer.