WTB: smiths - queen is dead

j4m35

Fairly easy to find at goodwill's and salvation army's as well. Got mine a few years ago for $1.99 at goodwill. Granted chances are low on your first visit but within a month I bet they'd have 1. The vinyl is always in good condition but the covers are hit and miss. Got a Depeche Mode record with a whole side split open yesterday, but as long as the music plays.

That's crazy that they can be found in thrift shops! I've scored T. Rex and similar stuff, but never anything like The Smiths. (J4M35 - Reckless updates their site every night at midnight, I've found tons of records that way and beaten others to the punch in getting them by checking each night - got my copy of Queen Is Dead used from there several years ago for something like 13.)

As morbid as it sounds when a 30-40 yr old passes on young the parents really have no idea what to do with most of the stuff so it goes to the thrift shops, LPs included if they still have em. If my sister passed and I wasn't around my parents would bring Goodwill loads of MJ, Olivia Newton John, then she moved to hair metal so poison records and lastly Cure records and Joy Division and what not. It takes a while to dig thru the 30 sound of music's or ours actually separates them into 70s, 80's, rock. it's cool.

no way! i'll check that out dude. thanks! not interested in strangeways, can't get into that album sadly.

strangeways > queen is dead.

both are my fav smiths albums tho.

seriously just can't get into it. give me your favorite three or four songs and i'll listen again.

thanks everyone for the direction!

it's a total rip off that the repress sells for that much, but thanks for the tip. i found originals of all their other albums for less than $13. i'm planning on stopping by their broadway location later so i'll do some digging!

imo the remastered/repress on Rhino is worth every penny. I own all of the originals and the repress/remasters and the repress/remasters sound so much better, John Porter did a shit job of producing their first record especially. just my opinion of course, but listen for yourself, even mp3's dont lie on this one...

original:

remastered:

Now THAT is some shimmery guitar love:)

it's a total rip off that the repress sells for that much, but thanks for the tip. i found originals of all their other albums for less than $13. i'm planning on stopping by their broadway location later so i'll do some digging!

imo the remastered/repress on Rhino is worth every penny. I own all of the originals and the repress/remasters and the repress/remasters sound so much better, John Porter did a shit job of producing their first record especially. just my opinion of course, but listen for yourself, even mp3's dont lie on this one...

original:

remastered:

Now THAT is some shimmery guitar love:)

Any idea why these two videos are in different keys?

i may have fucked up the links...there is a version of Reel on The Smiths, one on Hatful of Hollow, and then the re-mastered one from The Smiths-however to my ears the remastered version (supervised by Marr on Rhino records) sounds far superior.

I have all US original pressings, except Hatful which is a UK press. Can't say that i've ever heard the UK originals.

I have both the UK and US versions of all of the Smiths records except Queen Is Dead. The only one that I hear a big difference on is the S/T one. Morrissey's vocals in the US version sound a little distant, like it's a weird mix. The UK version they sound like they are situated correctly in the mix. The others all sound similar. The UK versions have a little more depth to them, but I don't think many would notice the difference.

strangeways > queen is dead.

both are my fav smiths albums tho.

seriously just can't get into it. give me your favorite three or four songs and i'll listen again.

paint a vulgar picture

rush and a push

girlfriend in a coma

stop me if you think that you've heard this one before

the whole album is a classic to me.

i suppose it is probably a tad more pop than most of their older stuff, is that what turns you off?

I have both the UK and US versions of all of the Smiths records except Queen Is Dead. The only one that I hear a big difference on is the S/T one. Morrissey's vocals in the US version sound a little distant, like it's a weird mix. The UK version they sound like they are situated correctly in the mix. The others all sound similar. The UK versions have a little more depth to them, but I don't think many would notice the difference.

Thanks nice write-up. agree 100% on the US mix for The Smiths...the whole production seems terrible:(

paint a vulgar picture

rush and a push

girlfriend in a coma

stop me if you think that you've heard this one before

the whole album is a classic to me.

i suppose it is probably a tad more pop than most of their older stuff, is that what turns you off?

no, not at all because i like a few of morrissey's solo albums. i'll check those songs for sure. thank you!

I was actually listening to Louder Than Bombs today And noticed particularly off sound on 'Sheila Take A Bow' and 'Shoplifters of The World...". All this talk of crumby sound on US issues of their records (and with Louder being the US version of "The World Won't Listen", I couldn't help but think of this thread. Sorta ruined my listening experience but made me want to track down UK copies of the records as well so I'd call it even.