Xbox 360 troubles.

tylerrr

My Xbox has recently been showing "open tray" when I try to play a game. I've fixed a disc reading error in the past but I'm not sure if it's the same problem. I'm assuming it's an issue with the lens. I've opened it up once already and it didn't look too bad in there. I just gave it a light cleaning on the lens and the rails. It's still showing an "open tray" message.

Anyone ever have this same problem and know of a way that I can fix it on my own? There's a little repair shop in town that I've used before but I'm hoping to make that a last resort.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I've had the issue every now and then lately, but I haven't really done anything to fix it, it just kind of works ago. I mean I've unplugged everything, turned it off and on again. Then it works but its not all the time but every now and then. I know that doesn't help any but I figured you wouldn't get a ton of responses.

I've done all the standard procedures and it's still giving me trouble... I think I'll just take it to the repair shop. They'll give me a free estimate and seems like my best bet. The only way I can get it to work is by smacking it around after I close the disc drive and that's probably only making it worse.

The pots on the laser might need re-adjusted, not sure if DVD-ROMs are the game as GD-ROMs were on Dreamcast in the way all you had to do was turn the little screw by the laser to fix it (but it caused it to wear out faster).

i had this problem with my old xbox360. i was told by some gamer friends of mine that is an issue with the disc drive motors failing. there is one on each side of the disc and when one starts to go it throws everything out of whack. mine got to the point where it would not play any games/dvds at all. dont know it is the same issue and it is supposed to be fixed on the newer xboxes.