Acetates and Test Pressing

Question for y'all. I recently started picking up an occasional test press which I think are cool since they're so relatively rare. I also bought my first original acetate or an old favorite 7" 80's song.

Are there any of you out there who collect test pressings and acetates? Love to talk about em as I get more into them.

What to look for, what to look out for, etc.

Question for y'all. I recently started picking up an occasional test press which I think are cool since they're so relatively rare. I also bought my first original acetate or an old favorite 7" 80's song.

Are there any of you out there who collect test pressings and acetates? Love to talk about em as I get more into them.

What to look for, what to look out for, etc.

I've got a few tests. I enjoy them, but I don't feel they're necessary for "complete collections."

I have:

The Gaslight Anthem - Tumblin' Dice 7" /?

Fake Problems - Real Ghosts Caught On Tape /?

Fake Problems - Soulless 7" /?

Under The Influence Vol. 1 - Fake Problems/Look Mexico 7" /10

Under The Influence Vol. 15 - Cheap Girls/Noise By Numbers 7" on yellow /20

Andrew W.K./Riverboat Gamblers split 7" /?

Further Seems Forever - How To Start A Fire - black vinyl, #3/10(/13 total, 10 black and 3 grey)

The Hold Steady - Milk Crate Mosh 7" 8/10 (also, one of the 10 rejected tests were thrown in)

New Found Glory - Tip of the Iceberg - picture disc test press, 8/25

Taking Back Sunday - Tell All Your Friends - /?

Thursday - Full Collapse - black /7?

Tim Barry - 28th and Stonewall - grey marble, 8/25

Some cost a ton, others not so much. PRice points all depend on what you want. I've had fun getting what I've gotten, and when I started to sell off things, I had mentioned to my wife about letting go of one, and she even told me that when I go to buy stuff back when we have extra cash lying around, that i probably wouldn't get the test press for as much as I want to buy it for and I should probably hold onto it.

I've got a few tests. I enjoy them, but I don't feel they're necessary for "complete collections."

I have:

The Gaslight Anthem - Tumblin' Dice 7" /?

Fake Problems - Real Ghosts Caught On Tape /?

Fake Problems - Soulless 7" /?

Under The Influence Vol. 1 - Fake Problems/Look Mexico 7" /10

Under The Influence Vol. 15 - Cheap Girls/Noise By Numbers 7" on yellow /20

Andrew W.K./Riverboat Gamblers split 7" /?

Further Seems Forever - How To Start A Fire - black vinyl, #3/10(/13 total, 10 black and 3 grey)

The Hold Steady - Milk Crate Mosh 7" 8/10 (also, one of the 10 rejected tests were thrown in)

New Found Glory - Tip of the Iceberg - picture disc test press, 8/25

Taking Back Sunday - Tell All Your Friends - /?

Thursday - Full Collapse - black /7?

Tim Barry - 28th and Stonewall - grey marble, 8/25

Some cost a ton, others not so much. PRice points all depend on what you want. I've had fun getting what I've gotten, and when I started to sell off things, I had mentioned to my wife about letting go of one, and she even told me that when I go to buy stuff back when we have extra cash lying around, that i probably wouldn't get the test press for as much as I want to buy it for and I should probably hold onto it.

This makes me feel much better about my collections. I have trouble being happy with my collections whenever I miss out on a test press. Not sure why. But it makes sense that it shouldn't be necessary for completion.

This makes me feel much better about my collections. I have trouble being happy with my collections whenever I miss out on a test press. Not sure why. But it makes sense that it shouldn't be necessary for completion.

the way I see it, they're a bonus. A lot of them don't make it out of the hands of band members or label people. If whoever has them needs money, I would hope that they would have a hard time letting them go since they're usually provided to them for free (aside from the cost of the actual vinyl pressing).

If it's seen that there's demand for it, and someone doesn't need it, it'll be one of the first things to go if the person isn't sentimental. It's just something not always available to the public in the first place, and unless you're a vinyl nerd like the majority of us here, you don't even know about them, hence why I don't count them toward a "complete collection."

They're like DVD extras, except not shitty.

the way I see it, they're a bonus. A lot of them don't make it out of the hands of band members or label people. If whoever has them needs money, I would hope that they would have a hard time letting them go since they're usually provided to them for free (aside from the cost of the actual vinyl pressing).

If it's seen that there's demand for it, and someone doesn't need it, it'll be one of the first things to go if the person isn't sentimental. It's just something not always available to the public in the first place, and unless you're a vinyl nerd like the majority of us here, you don't even know about them, hence why I don't count them toward a "complete collection."

They're like DVD extras, except not shitty.

I've had fun getting what I've gotten, and when I started to sell off things, I had mentioned to my wife about letting go of one, and she even told me that when I go to buy stuff back when we have extra cash lying around, that i probably wouldn't get the test press for as much as I want to buy it for and I should probably hold onto it.

your wife is awesome for that! and nice on the thursday and tbs!

I've had fun getting what I've gotten, and when I started to sell off things, I had mentioned to my wife about letting go of one, and she even told me that when I go to buy stuff back when we have extra cash lying around, that i probably wouldn't get the test press for as much as I want to buy it for and I should probably hold onto it.

And honestly, the one I was tempted to sell was the Tim Barry test. She didn't even want me to sell THAT one!

Full Collapse is her favorite album ever (with Sink or Swim maybe being the close second), and she's the main reason I tried for the test of that one. Got it from the first pressing batch, and it even has the screen printed single panel cover (unnumbered).

She likes the collection, although she wants me to slow way the fuck down on buying stuff, but lately I'm telling her that I'm getting a lot of stuff now so that I don't have to pay more for it when it's not readily available.

And honestly, the one I was tempted to sell was the Tim Barry test. She didn't even want me to sell THAT one!

Full Collapse is her favorite album ever (with Sink or Swim maybe being the close second), and she's the main reason I tried for the test of that one. Got it from the first pressing batch, and it even has the screen printed single panel cover (unnumbered).

She likes the collection, although she wants me to slow way the fuck down on buying stuff, but lately I'm telling her that I'm getting a lot of stuff now so that I don't have to pay more for it when it's not readily available.

I like having a few tests from releases from my favorite artists or albums that mean a lot to me (which typically are the same thing). Right now I have some of Montreal tests, and ones for Stay Ahead of the Weather and the IIOI/KOJI split. Oh, and an After the Fall one I won from MTS.

Working on another one at the moment that I'm super psyched about.

I like having a few tests from releases from my favorite artists or albums that mean a lot to me (which typically are the same thing). Right now I have some of Montreal tests, and ones for Stay Ahead of the Weather and the IIOI/KOJI split. Oh, and an After the Fall one I won from MTS.

Working on another one at the moment that I'm super psyched about.

thats crazy man. i gotta tell my gf the same thing, she doesn't understand why i like em so much so i just try to keep quiet about the buying but space is running out and i need an expedit lol.

thats crazy man. i gotta tell my gf the same thing, she doesn't understand why i like em so much so i just try to keep quiet about the buying but space is running out and i need an expedit lol.

My girlfriend doesn't know a test from an LP and if it costs more money, she's even less likely to go along with it. The tests I have:

Brandtson - "Send Us A Signal" LP (Blue handmade screened jacket/orange marble vinyl - #2/5)

Brandtson - "Send Us A Signal" LP (Red handmade screened jacket/black vinyl - #15/20)

Lenz, Frank - "Brothers Who Are Breathing" b/w "Sexy Sixth" 7" (Black - #2/8)

Starflyer 59 - "Silver" LP (Tooth & Nail/Crossroads of America - x/10)

Starflyer 59 - "The Changing of the Guard" LP (w/ Bonus 7" test pressing/Tooth & Nail/Burnt Toast Vinyl/white vinyl - x/30)

Strongarm - "The Advent of a Miracle" LP (Second pressing/Blank Page Empire - #25/30)

My girlfriend doesn't know a test from an LP and if it costs more money, she's even less likely to go along with it. The tests I have:

Brandtson - "Send Us A Signal" LP (Blue handmade screened jacket/orange marble vinyl - #2/5)

Brandtson - "Send Us A Signal" LP (Red handmade screened jacket/black vinyl - #15/20)

Lenz, Frank - "Brothers Who Are Breathing" b/w "Sexy Sixth" 7" (Black - #2/8)

Starflyer 59 - "Silver" LP (Tooth & Nail/Crossroads of America - x/10)

Starflyer 59 - "The Changing of the Guard" LP (w/ Bonus 7" test pressing/Tooth & Nail/Burnt Toast Vinyl/white vinyl - x/30)

Strongarm - "The Advent of a Miracle" LP (Second pressing/Blank Page Empire - #25/30)

have a some, used to have Alot more but sold them all in the great variant/test purge of 2010-2011.

Most of these are part of a collection (Guttermouth, Steinways and related bands, Propagandhi, and straight face), but i have the Connie Dungs, Joykiller and the Punk O Rama tests because those are some of my favorite records and they were also cheap.

• Be My Doppelganger - Get Alive LP Pink [Test Press #29/50]

• Connie Dungs - Missy And Johnny 7" Black [Test Press /8] Harmless Records

• Dead Fucking Last - Tony's War 2x 7" Black [Test Press] Grand Royal

• Fed Up! / Addvice for Addicts - Split 7" Black [Test Press] Fearless Records

• Guttermouth / Nonsence - Split 7" Black [Test Press] Custodial Records

• Guttermouth - Balls 7" Black [Test Press] Dr. Strange Records

• Guttermouth - Puke 7" Black [Test Press] Dr. Strange Records

• Guttermouth - Full Length LP Black [Test Press] Dr. Strange Records

• Houseboat - Processing Complaints 7" Black [Test Press #3/10] Traffic Street Records

• Joykiller - Joykiller LP Black Test Press Epitaph Records

• Necro - Gory Days 2x 12" Black [Test Pressing]

• Short Attention - Clever, Maddening, Annoying 7" Black Test Press Cold Feet Records

• Steinways, The - Missed the Boat 10" Black Cheeseburger & Fries Pack #4/5 Test press [/10]

• Steinways, The / Peabodies - Split 7" Black Test Press Incessant Drip

• Steinways, The / The Varsity Weirdos - Split (It's Alive Wedding) 7" Black Test Press [/5] It's Alive Records

• Steinways, The - Art of The Underground Vol 27 7" Black Test Press [2/3] AOTU Records

• Steinways, The - Rocket Surgery 7" Black Test Press [1/3] Don Giovanni

• Steinways, The - Unoriginal Recipe 7" Black Test Press [/5] It's Alive Records

• Steinways, The - Gorilla Marketing LP Black [Tour/Test Press 47/97] Cold Feet Records

• Straight Faced - Confidence 7" Black [Test Press /6] Victory Records

• Straight Faced - Conditioned LP Black Test Press Epitaph Records

• Ten Foot Pole - Insider LP Black Test Press Epitaph Records

• Whatever - Snack Time 7" Black Test Press Dr. Strange Records

• Whatever - Youngsters LP Black Test Press Dr Strange Records

• V/A - Better Read Than Dead - Propagandhi, J Church, NOFX, Snuff, Napalm Death, Pitchshifter, Chumbawumba, Spazz, Wayne Kramer… 2x 12" Black Test Press

• V/A - Dangerous Intersections IV - Rumspringer, Barrakudda McMurder, Strait A's, Like Bats 7" Black [Test Press, Different Cover #8/10] Traffic Street Records

• V/A - No Borders - LP Black Test Press Surburban Home Records

• V/A - Play At Your Own Risk Vol 2 - Quincy Punx, The Crumbs, Blackfork, Annie & Candy Clutz, Second Hand, pud, Slackers, Chickenhead, Les Turds, Teamsters, Propagandhi and I Spy 2x 7" & 5" Black Test Press Recess Records

• V/A - Punk O Rama - Bad Religion, NOFX, Rancid, Offspring, Pennywise, Total Chaos, RKL, Down By Law, Wayne Kramer, Ten Foot Pole, SNFU LP Black Test Press

• V/A - Teenage Kicks - Propagandhi, Bollweevils, 88 Fingers Louie, Squirtgun, Sicko 10" + 7" Black [Test Press 5/300] Custodial Records

EDIT: Just realized i have more tests... I have all the Night Bird and Psyched to Die tests and rejected tests, and there are probably more that i am spacing on.