Acetates and Test Pressing

A test press or an acetate is just a by-product of the record-making process. If anything, half the time they sound like crap 'cause they are TESTS. 

For acetates I could understand the sound quality issue but please explain why a vinyl test pressing would sound like crap?

I think they should sound the best since they are the very first pressings.

For acetates I could understand the sound quality issue but please explain why a vinyl test pressing would sound like crap?

I think they should sound the best since they are the very first pressings.

I could see if there were flaws in the test pressing, where they could sound worse but if you read into the whole "hot stamper" debate, you will learn that metal stampers get worn down over time, the more times they press vinyl. Larger runs need to replace stampers a few times during the pressing process. For that reason, you would think that test pressings (other than the very first copy, which could potentially have some dust that was transferred from the stamper) should theoretically sound better than say the 800th copy pressed. Usually stampers get swapped after the 1000th pressing.

Now all that being said, some people find the whole "hot stamper" debate to be total BS. I believe it to be true but then again I dont have a top of the line setup to probably be able to tell the difference anyways, so I dont seek out those copies

Uh oh, I didnt want to bring that discussion up for debate because I really dont have a leg to stand on regarding hot stampers. Just used that theory as an example as to why test pressings should sound just as good, if not better than regular copies (assuming you arent the owner of a rejected test pressing copy)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...